Is mastery stacking on Arcane worth it?

Hi since Corruption Vendor got introduced I was thinking of trying out many different corruption combinations. I really disliked the idea of stacking crit on Arcane so I decided to try out high amounts of mastery instead. I’m currently 476 ilvl, got x3 Equipoise trait and few Masterful (% mastery increase) pieces. I’m currently at around 45% mastery and since Masterful rank 3 is on vendor again I was thinking about getting it. Do you guys think that getting REALLY high amounts of mastery on Arcane can actually work well on raids/m+ or am I just ruining my own character and wasting time trying?

1 Like

Well if it doesn’t work you have great gear for frost and fire.

2 Likes

There is 1 reason why stacking mastery dosen’t work for arcane… It’s worst stat in terms of dmg. By stacking mastery on arcane you won’t run out of mana but you won’t do dmg either.

I like arcane and play the spec myself (mostly for visions and sometimes in m+ on tyrannical weeks). The best build for arcane right now is the one you said don’t like… Stacking crit + some strikethrough and i do like 10% less overall dmg than my fire build.
Sad thing is blizzard could fix arcane spec even in this xpac if they changed arcane orb and charged up to be baseline. Spec dosen’t work without those.

1 Like

Hmm…I really wonder if it’s as bad as people are saying :thinking:.
I myself did a full haste set and with expedient rank 22 + food or few gem slots, I can get up to 6800 haste rating which is 99.96% haste.

But mastery has better rating to percentage scaling, so if you can get to the same level of mastery, that should be around 113.5% mastery.
Which would give 113.5% mana regen and max mana, 227% arcane blast damage increase at 4 charges and 113.5% barrage damage increase at 4 charges.

So is that really worse than going for like 50ish% crit + some crit damage?

1 Like

Yeah, but mastery increases dmg only for blast and barrage while crit “increase” dmg from all spells. If i remember corectly you need 68 stat for 1% haste and 70 for 1% crit. So if you want to you can basically go above 90% crit aswell.
~50-60% crit + some strikethrough is just better than stacking crit to 90%+.

1 Like

That is true, but it’s not like we have many more spells to begin with :smiley:
Arcane Explosion and Missiles lose out, but I guess Nether Tempest gains that 227% dmg increase too, so maybe it becomes the default with this build?
Also I’m curious about triple Arcane Pressure with so much mastery, Barrage will probably crit for over 1 million? I’ve already done 450k Barrages with like 25% mastery and no crit dmg.

1 Like

Actually i never tried to mix mastery corrupitons with strikethrough… Think i will do some sims and test that later. It might actually work with arcane pressure.

1 Like

Could be fun, but is strikethrough really worth without stacking some crit in the first place?

1 Like

I don’t know why we have arcane spec?
It’s bad on single target, it’s worst on aoe. Most of the fights are 4+ mobs or at least 1boss+1cleave. If it’s not going to be used, why blizzard spending effort to maintain the spec? I have almost bis gear overall, still behind fire mage on single target who is far from maximum mastery.
I have always played arcane, never felt this much behind. If blizzard is happy with balance, no point in playing the game until shadowlands.

2 Likes

Is that without any procs?

1 Like

Yup, static haste.

1 Like

I don’t know why fire spec is even a thing. Arcana can easily out-dps same level geared fire-spec in non-cleave scenarios, BUT don’t so depended on gear from pvp and others 10000+ sources. Srsly fire is disgusting gimp spec which can work only on life-support from over 10000000 specific pieces of gear. And even with the gear fire suck on daily quests, etc, visions.

1 Like

Because its playstyle is very engaging and it has some fun, unique mechanics that you cannot really find in most other specs? The game isn’t only about numbers, you know.

1 Like

I love it!

But i like to stack mastery on every class … heck even grovi … whos arms …

1 Like

Yes it is a thing. They’re messing around with it in the mage discord. There’s a slightly scuffed custom apl for it but it’s still putting out good numbers

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.