Is the game still pay to win?

Hi was thinking of trying out WoW again if the PAY to WIN system is removed.
can you still buy tokens with real money so u can get an advantage in game?
if so then im not intrested

thanks in advance

You can still buy Tokens with real money, top sell for (at the moment) about 300K Gold.

You can then use that Gold to buy gear or boosts, all within the Terms of Service.

So if you call that Pay to WIn, then yes.

1 Like

pay to get an advantage w/e u wanna call it,
Ohhkey thanks maybe they will change their minds in the future if the remaining players also get tired of this p2w/boosting game and all leave just look at the numbers more and more players leaving anyway

may the light of the elune be with u and stuff

I could have sworn I posted here but it seems to have disappeared. They will not remove tokens in my opinion.

Does classic interest you? No tokens there.

I am sorry to say, but it is very much not pay to win. This is much more of a pay to catch up thing than to win.
You won’t get gear that is any stronger than what you can already get from playing the game, it won’t have any special abilities that are better or give you any further advantage over someone that plays.
The tokens offer someone with little money to farm gold ingame and play with that. While someone with much money can cut down on farming gold.

The economy is already a mess with millions upon millions of gold in circulation so moving 200k gold around is not much.

Yea guess it depends how you see it

A token p2w rlly this statement is so bad that it’s even not the case immo. A token doesn’t give you a extremely advantage in the game.

What’s the ‘advantage’ exactly? I suppose there may be a small one in pvp, if you can get slightly better gear than your opponents, but pvp is mostly down to skill. If you’re skilled enough that a tiny difference in gear means winning or losing, you don’t need boosts.

I don’t PvP, so I am only reporting from what I read.

As far as I can see, PvP is worst affected by boosting. I think one critical difference is that every win for the booster is a loss for someone else. If two groups do a 15, one with a PuG, and one with a paid boost, the people in the PuG are not personally worse off because the boostee got extra gear. But when someone steps into 2s at say 1800 accompanied by a max-geared Glad, the pair they are facing ARE worse off - they are losing their time, their rating, and their chance at earning towards gear. At the higher levels, where a cutoff depends on your rank in the ratings, each boostee is depriving a real player of what they earned.

It’s also not clear to me that the difference between the gear of an 1800 and the gear of a 2400 is “tiny” in effect, but I’ll leave that for others to discuss.

My point was that it’s tiny compared to skill. An unskilled player is going to be annihilated by a lower geared skilled player. Boosting doesn’t teach skill, so even those high geared players who have been boosted are rarely going to win except when they ARE being boosted. So it isn’t pay to win, but pay to get gear. And gear becomes worthless almost as soon as the next patch hits.

You have made the basic argument against using the phrase “Pay to Win”. We’ve been through this on the forums again and again and again, so I won’t rehash it here in depth.

Personally, I think the Token does make the game pay to win, but I concede the various points

• that there is no definitive final “win” in the game, or
  • that gear has an expiry date, or
  • that winning today doesn’t guarantee winning tomorrow, or
  • that those with sufficient excess skill will always eventually beat those who merely paid.

So, since I acknowledge all that, I avoid using the phrase at all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.