Is there a time estimate until the server issues will be resolved?

Some WotLK servers are having issues, so Blizzard “locked” them - meaning players are not able to create characters.

Is it known when will those issues be resolved? I want to play with the people I know, not on some empty server. (that would warrant the costly character transfer fee)

(technology for tens of thousands people playing at the same time on a single server has been around for at least 19 years, see EVE Online, so I do not understand how server issues are still a thing in 2022)

2 Likes

From what I’ve understood, they locked servers that reached max number of players. They haven’t said when they will unlock them, I guess they wanted more people to play on low populated servers and that’s why they gave free char transfer from locked servers. So they might unlock it when there is less people on it (which doesn’t make much sense because as soon as that happens people will go back to them and make chars there). But I’ve seen people who said that Blizzard somewhere said that they will never unlock them (never saw Blizz say anything like that).

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/transfer-restrictions-and-free-character-transfers-now-available-updated-8-sept/379506

Here’s what they said.

1 Like

Until you pay for a transfer or a boost.

Probably 3 months after wrath release you can expect no queues at peak times on mega realms. Until then out of luck. Could transfer, though there is no eu fresh pvp realm to transfer to only the one mega realm.

1 Like

Cheers.
So they artificially limited the amount of “max number of players”.
It indeed seems that they want to utilise the paid transfer to the maximum; giving free transfers to dead realms with the expectation to get the £19 (per character) when people want to group up.

Nevah!

Seriously it will be after wrath launches and people drift away.

Nothing artificial about it, a realm can only take so many players, after that is lags a lot. Adding layers, shards or whatever they call it will not increase the population allowed on the realm.

1 Like

As I pointed out in the post, technology that allows tens of thousands of players to play on a realm at the same time has been around for over 19 years. (game slows down when there are thousand vs thousand large battles)

Overcrowding an area in WoW was solved 3 years ago with Vanilla release.

No, it wasn’t, which is why they are using layers.

Your post just does not make any sense. I said that it was solved 3 years ago, so (obviously) layers, and you say… layers?

Except you don’t say HOW it was fixed so I assumed you meant without layers.

Aggrend said: “We have disabled new character creation and incoming paid transfers to the US and EU mega-realms, and they will remain locked indefinitely.”

Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-the-unacceptable-state-of-classic-servers/1323722/7

Problem is… I started on Golemagg when it was medium population and I started there because it was MEDIUM population. Now there is free migration to Mograine. It got full as well now, will probably also be locked by next week. Other option is an RP server with low population and Orgrimmar is empty with a total of 28 people online in total. I wanted to transfer, pay and transfer but there is LITERALLY no alternative server we can move to.

Blizz, I’m begging you fix this. This is unreal. It is impossible to quest, spawn timers are taking all eternity. It’s no fun anymjore and I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks like this…

When the hype train is over and half the server quits

They can just open free transfer to Ashbringer from locked servers, both from horde and alliance and hopefully get a healthy ratio. Ashbringer then would be an amazing pvp server instead of a low pop one.

One solution would be to open free transfers for limited number of unique accounts, prioritizing members of the same guild.

Open, say, 2000 unique transfers from one horde dominated and one alliance dominated server. (e.g. Golemagg + Firemaw, 2000 unique players from each)

This would allow people to transfer with guild members to continue raiding / PVPing, increase the population on a selected realm (e.g. Ashbringer), reduce the population on both locked realms, and not completely botch the current ratio on the server.

This could be done for multiple servers as well. They already closed some servers, open them again and do the same for those. Would solve the overpopulation on some of the larger “megaservers”.

This is from the “Firemaw lag” thread:

Aren’t connected realms and Warmode the actual technical solution that was invented to prevent megaservers/deadservers and bad faction ratios?

“But…but that’s a retail feature and everything retail is bad!!!”

2 Likes

This is just untrue.
I have been watching the numbers that are online on Gehennas every day since the lag started. Last night the number was 10.500 which is one of the lowest numbers online (during evening) since a week and the server was unplayable. Chain disconnects, can’t loot anything, can’t open inventory or mail anything, can’t hand in quests etc.

For example, two days ago there was 13.500 and there was NO issue AT ALL and we all thought they fixed the server …

This would solve a lot of issues, Blizzard why have you not done this already? Its been 14+ weeks and players are still solving your problems for you.

2 Likes

It’s not the every retail function or feature is bad. But a lot of the changes takes away what I personally enjoy about classic.

However, these megaservers do the same, sadly.
Leveling and seeing the same people, recognizing and being recognized is a good thing. If the server is not 20k people, then people have the opportunity to create a reputation for themselves. So players who consistently leave groups, or are rude, will eventually not be able to join high-end groups. Which I believe will also reduce the toxicity, which Blizzard claims to care more about than lag and server capacity issues.

On a side note, I enjoyed seeing the same alliance player through the leveling process. Although neither of us engaged in PvP, it was still a small joy. Which does not exist when servers are as large as most of them are now.

1 Like