Is there anyone powerful enough to do what Sylvanas did in Shadowlands cinematic?

Can characters like Malfurion, Tyrande, Queen Azshara, Jaina, Illidan and other powerful lore characters solo the Lich King and his entire army like Sylvanas did?

Fun question. I think Illidan would have given it a damn good go.

Not so sure about Malf. Perhaps Tyrande as Night Warrior

1 Like

Illidan oneshot the Prime Naaru, he would stomp Bolvar. Demi-god level characters like Malfurion or Cenarius could do that too. Maybe Alleria as well depending by how much the void boosted her. If we’re counting dead characters, Archimonde, Kil’jaeden, Mannoroth, Gul’dan, and any other high-ranking Legion member would probably be able to beat Bolvar. Lei Shen was already stated to be stronger than Lich King Arthas so he’d mop the floor with Lich King Bolvar. Azshara also stomps Bolvar. Maybe Rastakhan empowered by Bwonsamdi could also take him on?

Also Bolvar was very slow, so any character who is agile and can restrain him would have a good chance against him. At this point even “weaker” people like Maiev or Nathanos could beat him.

5 Likes

Anyone can do it if the plot demands it, really.

For all we know, Topper McNabb has been quietly biding his time for when his off-screen pact with the grand deity of [insert cosmic force here] comes to fruition.

So it boils down to: Who else could have taken her role in the given plot?

In a way, we can’t really know, because we don’t yet know what kind of twisted plot the devs concocted in the actual expansion, so we don’t know how interchangeable Sylvanas’ character is here.
From what we know so far, though, any power hungry sociopath would have worked, be it a dreadlord, undead or just a really crazy human.

10 Likes

those 2 definitely not.

They could barely handle Nathanos.

4 Likes

Essentially what Susanoo said.
Everyone could’ve with the adequate plot device.

Funny, I knew you would say that :wink:

3 Likes

that fight was actually very sad :frowning:

For Night Elf fans? Definitely. But it ends with Tyrande saying: “We will settle this another day.” So the last word has not been spoken yet.

Oh yes, if Nathanos breaks honor again, they will end him!

4 Likes

Bolvar has no Frostmourne.

The player could’ve 1v1’d him.

1 Like

^ This.

Malfurion in the last book of the War of the Ancients trilogy calls down a hurricane that wipes the entirety of a battlefield clean and effectively breaks not one, but two armies into retreat. He also tears the earth asunder in an earthquake that forces Archimonde, I repeat: Archimonde, into fleeing. Lastly, he kills Xavius, twice.

Do you see Malfurion display any of these powers in the War of the Thorns, or even better, while facing off with the shade of Xavius in Val’sharah?

Everything fluctuates to the plot’s weird whims in the most unnatural and clumsy way imaginable. Heck, Blizzard reached the point people can’t even agree on how your basic wooden catapult works. Cough

But hey, this is coming from the company that made a statement on how “consistency ties the hands of creators”.

5 Likes

Honestly stuff like this makes me wish he died at WoT. I never liked characters who were this OP, because as you said they make armies look pointless. I have no issue for character to be slightly ahead than regular NPC or PC. But this stuff is just ridiculous and I can’t take character seriously.

And it brings another question - if he is this powerful why he didn’t do anything against the scourge? Just fly there, and wipe them off. Or just clear off entire Twilight hammer from Hyjal himself, why wasting lives of other nelves when he can solo it?

2 Likes

And the answer is brought by itself.

The plot.
The plot demanded Malfurion to be stunned by the Twilight’s Hammer (Along with every Aspect at their full power present, might I add!) while they split Thrall into four just as the plot demanded him to be ineffective against the Scourge so it could reach Hyjal, though this might have been according to his plan to ultimately destroy the Legion’s invasion for good and would go to explain all of Archimonde’s frustration in Malfurion avoiding a direct confrontation.

He may have forced the Scourge and the Legion to a retreat if he used the height of his powers like he did in WotA, though I doubt that would have been sufficient to actually halt the invasion.

After all, part of the plan was duping Archimonde into believing the Night Elves were powerless to stop him.

But in regards to this, Warcraft has always had these kind of one-man-army characters, and still does:

Archimonde, Deathwing, the Lich King, Cenarius, Bwonsamdi, etc.

The reason some of them fail in the narrative is that they get squeezed into situations where they have to lose for the story to go forward and it’s just so lame to see them either be ignored (Malfurion in Cataclysm) or be defeated by jobbing after they were established with these kind of powers.

WoD Archimonde borders on the cringeworthy.

2 Likes

they’ll settle nothing most likely.

3 Likes

You’re mixing literal gods with mere mortals.

I don’t have Issue with God using god like power because god is meant to be that way, but the limit god has is that he shouldn’t intervene that often.

And honestly I think that writers really carried themselves too far with power fantasy, they could’ve easily make it take he was given power temporary by gods to make it believeable in this particular situation to justify the circumstances and explain why he doesn’t display such power anymore.

For the same reason I never liked “the Guardian” lore at all. I think lore wouldn’t be hurt at all if their power and history was retconned, and Medivh was just sholar that went went vile. Gul’dan and Ner’zul didn’t have power to obliberate armies themselves and they still caused enormous damage through political and strategic influence.

I have much bigger respect to characters who aren’t OP at all but use their brains and muscle to make best out of difficult situation, their struggle is real, they’re relatable. This is why I prefer Nazgrim and Taylor to Malfurion and Jaina now. The fact that the latter had much bigger lore etablishment ironically didn’t make them - imo - better characters.

It’s the exact same reason why Star Wars Sequels are a failure, The main heroine is powerful just because, got no real flaws, and doesn’t really struggle at all. Main character is completely unrelatable.

1 Like

LOL, do you actually believe it or are you trolling?

Well, we know Tyrande still wants revenge, and that she is going to play an important role in the coming expansion. So yes, I don’t believe she will just be picking flowers in Ardenweald, or at least, I hope so.

2 Likes

She is going to be picking flowers in Ardenweald. It should be obvious by now how Blizzard writes Malfurion and Tyrande.

1 Like

Maiev has Blink which is pretty OP.

in the Illidan novel, it was noted that she could have ended Illidan with that ability in an instant and considering that Illidan has high senses, that’s pretty impressive.

1 Like