Is wow [kinda] dying ?

wow dead crowd again time year again ?

Do not despair the damage bfa has done to numbers you see in-game. You came back in the struggle in which many others decided to walk away from.
Your actions will show blizzard the true meaning of a fan hero.
But the question still remains, why do we play?
I trust you have learned… to play while others may foresake this game, is to play because you enjoy it.
Face the issues, calm the hate of bfa.
Find peace within the game, so you can share the expereince with the people around you.
These are the greatest treasures we have left. Surley they are worth playing for?

time year again all wow dead crowd come again Always this time year normaal end exp

I was there too. The social interaction or lack of it heavily depended on the realms. On my server then the population was medium. One couldn’t find a group easily, unless they are a well geared healer or tank (which I was), but in the moment I wanted to run an alt dps through some dungeon - no luck mate. Even as healer it was sometimes a problem to find a tank, etc.

I honestly don’t remember people being very social to others before LFD. Social was inside guilds, outside you were threated like now, like a complete stranger. That’s why I mean it depended on a server. On RP servers it was different, a lot more social…but it stays the same now, no matter the LFD and LFR.

When LFD came, I remember I spent about 4 or 5 hours queuing and couldn’t believe my eyes I can just queue and whola, the group is ready! IMO adding cross realm grouping is not mismanagement, it was the only way to save the dying low pop relams…and also because the previous system (manual grouping) is tremendously flawed.

Now in Classic there won’t be LFD…all I can say is good luck to the poor souls who will be struggling there.

Main reason why i never bothered long with pvp realms.
If you wanted to actually play the game alongside other people, RP realms were a lot more viable than pvp

MoP maybe Legion was the last time where most aspects of the game felt fun and rewarding. I think we will need to wait for 9.0 before we know for sure what the future holds. 8.2 might be an honest attempt to repair some of the epic failures introduced with BfA. but I doubt they will manage to convince us.

The next expansion will be very important for everyone, not only blizzard because it could make or break World of Warcraft. With so many core problems with classes, leveling, progression, professions and etc. They will need to dig deep into what they have learned the pass 14 years to make all aspects of the game fun again.

1 Like

Ofc it is. It’s a dead game.

the dungeon finder was a blessing from heaven. if i wanted to go do a dungeon, i just use the tool and voila, i get a team. i honestly dont remember how i found groups before it, probably with guild mates, but i know i did much less dungeoning before it.

what killed socialling in my opinion was the guild leveling and rewards. people just made guilds of countless of people just to get the bonuses, never to meet.

2 Likes

I basicly stopped playing WoW after the level scaling took effect. I tried 3 different characters and all three failed at a normal storyline quest.

I play since Vanilla and I just can’t bring myself to delete all characters and end the abo :frowning:
yet …

Still hoping level scaling will be optional in the future or gone at all …

This thread of mine aged a lot better than I hoped it would.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17612841334

Yes, it’s dying more than ever.

while i didn’t have the biggest issues ever getting groups in TBC, i agree that LFG was and is such a handy tool. (it came in in WotLK right? if not, then i didn’t have a problem getting in groups in WotLK either). i dont know why so many people have an issue with LFG. LFR however…

im not as much a fan of LFR. i do think its great that anyone can now see the raid (ie. story), but i think mindlessly spamming it for gear takes away the divide between 5 man content, and 10+ man content, and it also makes players think raiding is a lot simpler than it actually is. what would be better is having the scenario in a scenario type setting, with only 1 player, and basically unloseable. so you get to see the whole story of that raid tier. this should reward 1 normal level raid piece of gear, and this quest can only be done once. you can repeat the scenario as much as you like though if you want to see the story again, but there will be no further gear rewards.

you bring up an interesting point about guild leveling and rewards. i do remember all these guilds springing up, and the fact that our server has over 660 guilds with 9 or less toons is probably a symptom of this. the whole guild system that was attempted in cata, and so quickly abandoned should be revisited, and reevaluated to see how guilds, and thus community’s, can be reinvigorated.

Yeah you can enjoy bot dungeons 24/7. Remind me how much fun you have with dungeons in parties which at current date, take offense if you start speaking cause thats not why they are there?

Also you just had to be the person didnt you?
You just had to be the one to point out that finding dungeons is now easier. Do go on champ, tell me who questioned that in the first place. I will help: nobody.
On the same note: I will have no problem calling you a liar if you are going to tell me that running dungeons is now a better experience.
Its faster. Yes.
And made meaningless.

Not really up for debate m8 cause i dont need you to tell me what happened with socializing when i was there and saw it happen first hand.
Surely the guild perk system was as flawed a concept as any other, but i will never forget how global chat died in one day after the lfg tool came out. How nobody needed to ask anything, how interaction became suddenly a burden to begin with. This problem was then jammed in shoulder deep by the sharding system of the realms which now basically makes it impossible to even as much as see other people from your realm.
The entire experience of wow has been reduced to that of phasing in and out bots whom you never gonna interact with and never gonna see again in your lifetime.

Finally: Im not even saying that finding dungeons wasnt an issue.
It sure as hell was, and especially on realms with population issues.
Yet none of that will change the fact that the lfg tool wrecked the social experience of this game to hell and beyond.
The solution to the issue
as typical to blizzard
has created a completely new layer of issues.
One that has grown and stripped away at the core of the game in the background till we arrive today where its a literal tumor that has made wow an obsolete experience. You just farm alongside bots. Thats the game today.

Which part of the explanation did you not understand?
Have you seen what the game looked like before lfg? Cause if you didnt, you probably wont even be able to imagine it. People were constantly, perpetually interacting and talking. It was actually a REQUIREMENT if you wanted to get something done.

And thats what LFG streamlined out of the game. What do you have now?
Running dungeons with random bots from other realms whom you never gonna see again in your life time? With whom EVEN IF YOU WANTED TO interact, it wouldnt matter cause they would vanish into the ether after the dungeon is over?

2 Likes

If I do a dungeon I always say hi, 99% of the time I get nothing back… the ones that reply now go on my battle net because they are like gold-dust :slight_smile:

1 Like

WOW is still much better than most of the MMO out there.

Now if you are saying is wow pvp dead, then wow pvp has always been dead.

Arena participation is always low because its a privilege and not an option for most. You need mostly IRL friends to play with you in order to play it or someone with a free time and can login at a particular time to play with you.

I think the biggest enemy we have as a player is to have to face the Esport scene, the Esport scene causes class pruning, prevented Solo queue option and created this insane mythic + systems.

2 Likes

wow you are hostile! i haven’t even spoken to you before to warrant that reply.

errrrrr

skim much?

im not saying lfg is perfect. far from it, but it is such a handy tool as dungeon queues were so long, and you have to rely on people wanting to go to the dungeons being in the zone, or in a city when you shout in trade or general. looking for a group for hellfire dungeons will go a lot slower, when dozens, or hundreds of players that WANT/NEED to go are currently in nagrand, or netherstorm. (this is what i remember, but from evidence below, i may be wrong!)

how people act is the fault of the people, not of the tool.

Looking back on the history section of:
https:// wow.gamepedia. com/Dungeon_Finder#History

i had completely forgotten the old “lfg” system. i only remember calling out in general and trade looking for people.

looking at this old system from TBC, i would speculate that the only difference between then and now, is now we dont have to arrange to meet at the dungeon entrance, and only a small number of dungeons can be queued for.

having said that, i remember finding a group VERY different back in TBC compared to now, but this article would sorta prove me wrong, or maybe we weren’t using the “lfg” tool properly back in those days.

either way, the problem isn’t lfg as such, its how its used, and how its implemented.

i dont see a problem with the mythic+ system. some players, especially the hardcore raiders, need a challenge after completing the weekly mythic raid.

I believe you’re exagerrating about “the hell and beyond”. Right now if I want to find social experience and play with friends and nice people I pretty much can.
What LFD tool did is that it greatly worsened the social experience inside the dungeons, not in the entire game. The toxic pugs are a known issue to playes, only not to Blizzard who doesn’t care. But I don’t blame LFD itself for the toxicity of pugs - in the beginning they weren’t toxic. It happened gradually, because there is a new generation of players which is toxic “by birth” so to say and they behave like this wherever they go. In some other games there is very strict control over toxic behaviour and LFD feels like a nice place.

LFD/LFR IMO is not among the issues which drags the game down, it’s the lack of new genuine content. Players being bored and quitting is what kills the game. Adding new reputation grinds to gate things behind, adding more cosmetic collectibles and reskin mounts, this is not new content.

I also always this, but people always ignore it.

I’ve come from a retro MMORPG which I’ve played for 12 years and which has heavy focus on player interaction. In that game you actually level up much faster in a party, especially because you get extra experience when in a party with someone. You don’t even have stuff like dungeon finder and LFR.
Yet the majority of people chose to play alone.

Nowadays the concept of playing with complete strangers and making friends on the internet is no longer something new and exciting. People nowadays choose to not deal with other people.

WoW Classic won’t change that, I bet. It’s not a game problem, it’s a social problem. Maybe at the start people will try to socialize more because they want to recreate what Vanilla was like, but I am pretty sure that eventually, after people get bored of other players, most will just start to play alone again.

2 Likes

I think what is often forgotten, is that helping those people through those raids, if we still had the old system you referring to, helps yourself and everyone else to new raiders. So in a way you keep those raids relevant for old players as well. Not from the beginning of the game, of course, but maybe within one xpac.

(I get that it’s not the best for top guilds, as they are busy sniping each other’s players, but we’re talking about very few people here.)

1 Like