Issues with fire mage

There are 2 main design issues with fire mage and they are both about stats.

1: Ignite is a bad mastery, too difficult to tune, should just become a passive and make a new mastery in it’s place.

I get it, it’s iconic as fire mastery, but you cannot deny the issues. It’s either weak in st and good in aoe, or broken op in aoe and good in st. Making it a simple passive would make it far easier to balance.

2: crit scales badly due to lack of crit damage scaling. The new tier set solves this problem, but you shouldn’t need a tier set to solve a design problem with the spec.

With scorch and firestarted you dont need crit for 40% of the fight. Its bad design. 100% crit talents shouldnt exist on firemage expect fireblast. I like mastery tho, but there were situations in the past when i couldnt pump on raid because some adds were dying too fast because of ignite from 2-3 mages :smiley:

Crit is still bad even without those talents selected.

The reason why it’s bad is because combustion uptime is higher due to skb and other talents that reduce the cd on combust.

But… The solution is not to reduce the uptime on combust, otherwise we go back to pre skb where everything has to be pulled around you. That is frankly not fun at all for me.

I would not enjoy having combust up for 15% of the fight but you do giga damage inside it like before, and then do trash damage for the rest of the fight, and if you screw up, or the group is not pulling around you, you are sol i guess.

I’m fine with it if it’s another option, but not if it’s the standard gameplay.

Everyone wants super burst, then it’s nerfed, the gameplay suffers and then they complain. Like god forbid that you just have moderate to high burst and good sustain, the horror! You have to do at least 4 times as much damage inside your cds for 15 seconds so you have the true gamer experience with a peak as high as mount Everest and then a literal valley for like 2 minutes, because everyone knows, if your cd uptime is higher than 30% it’s no longer a cd. So fun! By the way, this last bit was sarcasm, i hate this omega burst oriented mentality. Because usually in my experience it results in inferior gameplay.

So realistically the only thing they can do is crit damage scaling, and guess what, with the tier set, crit magically scales better.

What i meant about ignite was not to remove it, but rather to change mastery to something else, and make ignite a simple passive, easier to balance.

Also, they should buff flamestrike.

Pyroblast rotation still does more damage at around 5 to 6 targets. This is a symptom of a overnerfed flamestrike.

Or even better, make kindling work with flamestrike. This would push flamestrike above pyroblast at more than 3/4 targets, which should be the goal.

Pyro cleave for low target cleave, flamestrike for actual aoe.

Not pyro cleave for normal aoe, and flamestrike for mass aoe. Wtf kind of bs is that?

One of the points about fire rework was exactly this, what the hell are you doing blizzard?

Also, remove the duration on skb already.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.