Item level isn't an indicator anymore

I think WoW came to the point where you literally cannot exist without addons/and simming sites wich helps you clarify wich item is better for you. Item level supposed to be a clear indicator of any items, yet my 420ilvl ring is better than the one i got from a 460 weekly chest. Corruption rng, slot rng doesn’t help it either. I’m not asking to make everything stupid proof, but at this point item level lost it’s identity and point.

2 Likes

Yeah, in extreme cases that’s true.

In 99% of the other ones, it’s not.

And they dropped reforging before “it was too complicated for players”…

1 Like

Tbh the problem is

• we have players who want the RPG element of the game having to build up your character in several situations etc etc

• then you have players who just wanna slot the highest ilevel on them.

It’s not really possible to appease both, as gear would have to basically lose any interesting mechanics to them to push this one forward

Remember ilevel was once a addon called gear score. So the concepts no different realistically

ilvl is used for scaling of stats on the item itself. Corruption is scaled to other factors, such as overall %hp/stat, attack/spell power, or a static increment… has absolutely nothing to do with ilvl.

It’s a pretty stupid system. And you’d be right in thinking the ilvl should be a calculated variable.

1 Like

I mean… Unless you min max it still does tho, you just gotta accept that rings gotta have the right stats and corruption is worth +50 ilvl in some cases, or even worse for ring

Corruptions should be weighted separately, you can’t really compare an item with corruption to an item without.

Anyway i remember back when they “pruned” secondary stats a lot of people complained that now the game has been dumbed down and you just equip the highest ilvl, no thinking involved in gearing. Now years later probably some of the same people are complaining that gearing is too complex and you can’t play without simming.

As in everything, there is a middle ground to find.
And yes, having to sim every item because isn’t clear how stat scale and how they affect your numbers is bad design.

1 Like

Item level was before GS addon, but not score of it and not overall calculations, it was just indicator of how good item is. GS addon gave certain points for certain ilvl and in summary we had GS score 5-6k geared in ICC25

It does, before it was ap/spellpower, but nerfed to scale up with tier and current item i lvls. Only hp% corruptions remained the same.

My problem isn’t that its extremely complex. Just a 420 ring shouldnt be better than a 460 ring. Period.

1 Like

Which i lvl 420 is better than 460 right now? Unless it has td rank 3 or maybe echo void.

he said rings, which sounds plausible because all the budget is put in secondary stats
currently for many classes mastery is underperforming because a lot of your damage comes from trinket/essences/corruptions and it’s not affected

I think the stat dif between a 420 ring and a 460 ring should be high enough, even if its worst stats, to beat a 420 bis ring stats.

I dont know about dk bis, but my weakest stat give me atleast 5. Dmg up.

Ilvl is retarded as well.

I want stat caps / softcaps, expertise and armor penetration back, tier sets and flat % secondary stats. Like 1% crit, or 2% haste. And different color sockets were much better than a random socket “proc”. This 162 crit and 473 haste “ratings” are boring.

Corruptions are RNG but fun and a step in the right direction for more unique gear pieces.

It should be but i don’t think it is, right now it’s about 70-75 in stats (out of a total of 500+). Also saying “5” doesn’t mean much without context. If you get 5 dps from mastery but 7 dps from haste, that’s still not enough to overcome it. Basically 230 haste > 300 mastery.

My friend is 472ilvl with zero corruption ( he have been playing his class since forever) and a dude with 460 did more dps. They were both the same spec. So yes ilvl dosent matter anymore

Keep your ilvl low and your corruption high! :wink: :octopus:

What do you even mean, extreme cases?

Now you even have to figure out corruption combos on top of ilevel combos. This happens for not just every upgrade but all combinations.

i had some 415 WQ legs and boots that FAR better than my 450 legs and boots on my Monk alt.

Massive downgrade in actual stats but couldn’t really give them up due to the corruptions on them.