Just how powerfull we are as player characters?

Just how powerful is our player character currently in SL? Are we atleast mountain busters? Or what do you think?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there is no one canonical answer, but based on observations, I would like to say my own opinion.
In terms of raw power. We’re skilled and very powerful adventurers or soldiers. Equal in individual powers to generals and leaders. But less powerful than… let’s say the Lich King in 1v1 combat regardless of class.
In terms of borrowed powers. We’re literally mountain busters. Equal to… is there someone we cannot defeat at this point? We become so powerful to the point blizzard writing team has to do something to sever our connections from these borrowed powers. Look at patch 7.3 to get an answer on how powerful we became during legion. We literally raided and nuked demons on Argus. Slaying their armies, destroying their space ships, and killing even a titan. (With the help of even more borrowed powers!)
Then Blizzard had to come with the corruption of Sargeras sword to disable our artifacts. As for the Heart of Azeroth, we’re in another reality so the connection to Azeroth is disconnected, and I assume the same will also happen with the covenants at the end of SL as we head back to our home. Now i wonder what will the next borrowed power will be. I want to hope there will be none, but i don’t think blizzard will drop this idea as people have already said countless times during all these years that borrowed powers are horrible.

1 Like

Yeah there’s defo a strong voice for less systemic mumbo jumbo and simply more content. Wouldn’t be nice if an expansion started and it had 12 dungeons, loads of unique quests, in-between raid tiers etc etc? The gear sets were absolutely fine and easier to deal with.

Back on topic.

I think the gameplay level of power we posses doesn’t translate in canon. A lot of our abilities are the way they are simply for the game to work. Let’s take resurrection spells for example. In the lore, these spells are meant to be extremely hard to cast, only the most experienced masters may attempt performing them and even then it’s not guaranteed they’ll work. Calia’s resurrection required all these master priests and some completely wacky Na’ru miracle and she wasn’t even raised as a regular human again. I think there was a previous instance during MoP with Anduin doing some insane miracle level resurrection too? Think about all the main characters who’ve died, Grommash (original), Varian, Saurfang, they don’t simply get “rezed”.

Though the players just goes “lol noob raid, let me just rez 19 people all at once, do mechanics plz yeh? EZ kill”.

So generally speaking I would try to disassociate us from the general, canonical powers the various characters, gods, creatures or whatnot have in the universe. Gameplay power is just for gameplay and blizzard constantly shoots themselves in the foot with all these borrowed power systems that have to be removed in some supposedly meaningful way in the end of every expansion.

1 Like

I think, we need to take some gamplay wise feats as relevant, not all like resurection etc. But For example Argus was casting spell to end all of reality, if it went out in cannon it would erase everything except Shadowlands as SL is supposed to exist outside of reality.Ofc things like we soloing old raid bosses is not relevant as that would not make sense, but i can see us 1v1 beings like Lich king, Illidan, jaina even algalon the observer. Like we fight some big elites in maw for example that are for sure more powerfull than some lore figures i can see theese elites beating or stalemating raggnaros-vannila version,onyxia, vannila nefarian. But that is where it stops no way we can 1v1 deathwing, He has shown he was capable of wiping all life on azeroth by himself possibly even breaking all continents at the same time.The reason i think we are on level of lich ling is we have crazy durability when it comes to soul manipulation. Like we can survive maw in which most souls go crazy from that torment just being present.And many enemies in shadowlands atack our souls.As magic in shadowlands is anima based and is supposed to damage your spirit.So therefore lich lich would have hard time fighting current paladin for example as he is weak to light based atacks and his soul based atacks would not work as they did back in wotlk when we were just random adventurers.

1 Like

I do not have much to add to what is told already. So, just a few comments.

Power levels in WoW do not matter much. They’re not consistent. And the devs can just left out things they do not want to use regardless of it making sense (e.g. the whole “but what aboud draenei spaceships” part of BfA which got the answer “we wanted to tell a different story”).

© https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2018/8/20/17697562/world-of-warcraft-vindicaar-spaceship-battle-for-azeroth-legion

On paper it very well might be that the “heroes” in the story, like Anduin, are not restricted to 1 class, but that makes them not as good in individual things. Unless some talking weapons are lying, there are comments like

Aluneth:

• Have you ever considered opening portals to other worlds? Such power is within your grasp, child…
  • The very powers of the ancient titans are at your command, and you choose to create… tasty treats?
  • My dear child, you hold yourself back. The power is within your grasp to send the entire city tumbling into the sea. (Dalaran)

Xal’atath:

• You were a good choice. No other wielder has murdered their way across a continent like you have. I admire your endurance.
  • Long have we sought entry into this realm! To think we have a mortal to thank for giving us our foothold. Your service will be remembered! (at the Seat of the Pantheon)
  • It pleases me that we have a chance to spend more time together. You should know that of my many companions, you were my favorite. We will accomplish remarkable things together, you and I. Magnificent things.
  • I knew you were the right choice, name. Your strength and courage are… compelling.

Besides, since the players are sustained by the life force of Azeroth, who knows how far could it go.

gl hf

2 Likes

Yes Legion artifacts we crazy, Scepter of sargeras for example had power to shatter planet without the empowerement we did to it, so i can imagine at the end of legion that scepter has near star level destructive potency. Warlock with that artifact could beat Any BFA boss 1v1 in a single blast when it comes to lore. Makes you think how much power sargeras holds as required us to sacrifice all of theese godlike artifacts just to siphon negative energy from that sword. If argus could destroy reality and he was drained, what could sargeras do?

Another interesting question is what Azeroth could do. One day. Maybe. Probably
:eyes:

gl hf

If azeroth wakes up i think she could be night-omnipotent actualy, there is a reason why even such powerfull beings like void lords- basicaly most powerfull entities in warcraft so far seek to corrupt her.

Generally makes you wonder what happens to the actual planet when its resident titan spirit wakes up. Does it all go boom? Does the planet and the life get absorbed into the Titan? Does the the Titan materialise outside of the planet, living it intact?

Right now, it feels like the day they’ll decide to fully wake Azeroth up, it will be the actual final ending, to me at least.

Who knows. Maybe we can spend a season in Outlands / the Shadowlands / Dream while something happens.

Depends on the details. If (big if) Neltharious was not telling random things while influenced by N’Zoth, there is a part from a Cata short story:

“What you were given was a gift, not a curse,” Thrall said.
…
A gift?" Deathwing snarled. “You are as misguided as the other Aspects, too fool to recognize that the charges imposed upon us are nothing more than prisons.”

“The titans gave you a purpose,” Thrall retorted.
…
“There is no purpose to what they do.” Deathwing stomped toward Thrall, each step thundering through the chamber. “Azeroth was an experiment to the titans. A plaything. When they were done, they turned their backs on us all, indifferent to the broken world that they left behind.”

So, Azeroth might not be a chill character calmly dreaming. She might end up having a score to settle with some entities. But we’ll see where it might go.

gl hf

1 Like

Wait she told you this too? Oh I’ll show her some remarkable grmblmmppffff

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.