Kangji's Daily Snapshots ((Forum Game)) ~ Thread Now Ended !

Afternoon all.

#40 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/kGDe9NT

Bonus - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/qLXnPsL

^^ The correct answer is Ruins of Shandaral - Crystalsong Forest. As for the Bonus, the correct answer was The Ring of Blood - Nagrand (Outland). Nice answers Leroch, you nailed the zones at least, but not quite the precise locations. Better luck next time. :slight_smile:

Next Snapshot!..

#41 - Where am I?... https://imgur.com/EoZTnnU

1 Like

Oh noes, but I got pretty close :grinning:

This one could be

Spoilers

Ironforge airfield / Dun Morogh, but could be North Gate Outpost too

Hey folks. Back for another Snapshot…

#41 - Where am I?.. . https://imgur.com/EoZTnnU

^^ The correct answer is indeed North Gate Outpost - Dun Morogh. Well done Leroch, you are today’s winner. :slight_smile:

And now for the next Snapshot…

#42 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/s03EhuD

:frowning: no idea (again) but if you look I the top right you can see

Summary

Mike Wazowski!

1 Like

Imgur

Summary

Under Coilfang Reservoir/Serpent Lake, entrance to Slave Pens, Underbog, Steamvault and Serpentshrine Cavern (behind you in picture). Located in Zangarmarsh, in Outlands.

1 Like
Answer

Zangarmarsh, Coilfang Reservoir, entrance to those Dungeons and a raid

Lore

The Coilfang Reservoir is located in Zangarmarsh, and has been used by the Naga to take the reins of the water that is on Outland. With Outland being destroyed, thanks to both Gul’dan (and the first Horde) and Ner’zhul, only a bit water is left in the barren continent. As Naga need water, they have decided to build the reservoir, including a cave network located under Zangarmarsh.

The Naga themselves are a race that was forcefully created by the Old God, N’zoth. Azshara tried to summon the fallen Titan, Sargeras, but when the portal in the waters of the Well of Eternity became extremely unstable, and Sargeras tried to prematurely finish the spellwork, the world literally exploded, and the continents we know nowadays were created. The majority of the Night Elves were left on the western continent, Kalimdor, while other races would start new empires on the other continents, such as Northrend and the Eastern Kingdoms/Azeroth.

However, not all Night Elves were on Kalimdor. A part of the artistocratic Elves, the Highborne, were still in Zin-Azshari, were the Well of Eternity was created. The palace of Queen Azshara was engulfed by water, and as a result, many of the Highborne were drowned. However, N’zoth quickly “came to the rescue” by offering the drowning Highborne to be turned into something else. And thus, the Naga were born.

One of the Night Elves who became a Naga was Lady Vashj, one of the handmaidens of Queen Azshara herself. She got an important position among the Naga, and when Illidan asked for allies, she decided to join him with her followers. After serving him well in Azeroth, they ventured to Outland, where they’d become an important part of the Illidari, and they were left in charge of Zangarmarsh.

2 Likes

Howdy all. It’s that time again. :wink:

#42 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/s03EhuD

^^ The correct answer is Coilfang Reservoir - Zangarmarsh (Outland). Punyelf rightly points out this location is situated under Serpent Lake & is the meeting place for 3 dungeons and a raid. Well done to Punyelf & Haiete, you guys were on the mark. Nice lore post from Haiete again, as usual, thanks for posting. :smiley:

Now to see where the next Snapshot will be…

#43 Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/bB3rp0k

1 Like
Answer

I’m going to make a wild guess - Wyrmscar Island in Bloodmyst Isle.

lore

Bloodmyst Isle itself is a mysterious but also slightly depressing island, and one of the leveling zones for the Draenei. Contrary to the Azuremyst Isle, which is full of life, Bloodmyst Isle has been very damaged by the Draenei, who crashed their space vessel, the Exodar, in the two islands. Bloodmyst Isle used to look like Azuremyst, but the damage has lead to a thick red mist spreading over the island, with red grass and irradiated wildlife, which has been misformed and is now far more aggressive. The Draenei have been trying to find a way to restore the lands ever since.

As the various ruins on the island suggest, the Night Elves used to live here a long while ago, when the islands were still part of the massive landmass called Kalimdor, before the world was shattered during the Sundering. A great part of the questline revolves around exploring the ancient Night Elf civilization that once lived here. The Night Elves here lived in harmony with the Green Dragonflight, and they were even allowed to ride them. However, after Deathwing and the rest of the Black Dragonflight turned insane and started attacking the other Dragonflights, they also destroyed the Night Elf city that once stood here, ending the sprawling civilization that had established itself there as well.

Today’s snapshot shows the ruins that are now on Bloodmyst Isle. While you encounter Night Elves during your quests in this zone, they have passed away but still tell the story of their ancient city.

Unrelated but interesting: when the first Night Elves met the Draenei, they were afraid that they were the same Eredar Warlocks they encountered years ago during the War of the Ancients. The Eredar were very powerful enemies who were able to counter Night Elf Mages, such as members of the Moonguard, and only a few very skilled Night Elves, such as Illidan and Malfurion, were able to stop the Eredar from wiping out entire ranks of the Kaldorei Resistance.

4 Likes

I look forward to this post being updated every day :kissing_heart:

It’s bloodmyst isle for sure, but forgot concrete zone :frowning:

1 Like

Just google the zone map and check the area from that, if you know roughly where the picture was taken. That is what I mostly do as I can’t remember most of the areas in the zone :sunglasses:

Spoiler

Bloodmyst isles / Wyrmscar island

Yo folks.

#43 Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/bB3rp0k

^^ The Correct answer is indeed Wyrmscar Island - Bloodmyst Isle. I’ve been levelling a Draenei alt & have just recently finished questing in Bloodmyst Isle. I’ve actually been taking the time to read all the quest text, each & every word. Really nice story line for this zone, which I’ve never paid attention to until now…

Basically a group of Draenei trying to flee the Bruning Legion steal a spaceship, the Exodar, & make an escape from Outland. This then crash lands on Azeroth, scattering wreckage & debris across Azuremyst Isle & Bloodmyst Isle. Turns out it wasn’t just Draenei on board the Exodar… The Exodar belonged to the Sun King, AKA Kel’thas Sunstrider. This explains how Blood Elves are also on the island, as they were aboard the Exodar, which was some kind of research facility containing animal specimins such as Ravgers… This would explain their presence across the islands too. Essentially the Blood Elves using power crystals from the crashed Exodar to power Sun Gates, a link between Azeroth & Outland to send re-reinforcements to hunt down the Draenei.

Anyhoo, well done again to Haiete & Leroch, you guys got it. :slight_smile:

And now onto the next Snapshot…

#44 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/cyXzf48

2 Likes

Hmm, there are quite many places where this picture was taken, but I’ll go with

Spoiler

Wetlands / Dun Modr, near Thandol Span

Well yeah, at the time when the Draenei boarded the vessel, it belonged to the Sunfury but they did not build it. It always belonged to the N’aaru, who were hardly allies of the Sunfury or the Blood Elves in general, but were close allies of the Draenei since Velen and the others fled Argus on the Genedar. The Genedar crashed in Nagrand and the Orcs renamed it to Oshu’gun, which is why they were unable to flee to any other planet except with the Exodar.

The Blood Elves sabotaged the Exodar however, which is why it abruptly crashed on Azeroth (which was just sheer coincidence). The Exodar should actually be repaired by now, although some parts might have been used to build the Vindicaar. But I digress.

Answer

That’s certainly in the Wetlands, and I think that it’s one of the final questing spots, where you have to kill a few Dark Iron Dwarves?

Lore

And let’s use my lore section to talk about that, because what in the name of the Light has happened with the Dark Iron Dwarves? They’re basically enemies during Cata since you have to kill quite a lot of them, and yet Moira Thaurissan, Queen-Regent of the Dark Iron Dwarves is present in Ironforge and is even Princess of Ironforge? What’s going on? And why are they suddenly allies in 8.0?

The Dark Iron Dwarves used to be… well, normal Dwarves, but they secluded themselves from Ironforge after the War of the Three Hammers, a war that took place between the three clans (Bronzebeard, Wildhammer, Dark Iron), and was eventually won by the Bronzebeard clan. WIldhammer and Dark Iron left, Dark Irons decided to live in the Redrigde Mountains. However, they decided to launch an assault against Ironforge, and ‘accidentally’ summoned Ragnaros. This created the Blackrock Mountain, and the Searing Gorge and Burning Steppes were created. The Dark Irons returned to this mountain, and they became enslaved by the Firelord, Ragnaros.

In Vanilla, the Adventurers strike against Ragnaros, and free the Dark Iron Dwarves from the grasp of Dagran Thaurissan, Emperor of the Dark Iron Dwarves. Moira was married to him and became widowed. However, she is also the daughter of Magni Bronzebeard… and HE was crystalised shortly before the Shattering, turning him incapable to rule (he only started talking and moving again during Legion). Moira heard of this and returned to Ironforge to not only rule the Bronzebeard Dwarves and Ironforge, but ALSO the Dark Iron Dwarves (until her son would be old enough to rule, yes she got a son with Dagran).

If you like politics, keep reading. So, Moira is at Ironforge, still just before the Cataclysm. She ruled with an iron fist. To basically force her authority, she sealed off Ironforge from the rest of Azeroth, and no one could leave the city until Moira would have the authority she wanted. There’s another reason as well - Anduin Wrynn was at Ironforge for a while to visit Magni and to study with the Dwarves (and to learn to fight a bit). So Moira basically kidnapped Anduin. Anduin however was able to escape to Theramore by using a Hearthstone (obviously Christie Golden wrote this novel, although it has some interesting storylines) and told Varian about what happened in Ironforge. Varian was FURIOUS and invaded Ironforge with SI:7 agents through the Deeprun Tram to kill Moira and to re-establish the Bronzebeard government. Anduin quickly headed for Ironforge and was able to stop his father from murdering Moira, and the Council of Three Hammers was established instead. From now on, Ironforge would be ruled by all three Dwarf clans, until Dagran II would be old enough to rule.

So… here we are. Ironforge is not ruled by solely the Bronzebeards but also by the Wildhammer and Dark Iron Dwarves. Now, since Ironforge if the faction, the clans involved with the city are also allies. So, this whole affair turned the Wildhammer Dwarves and the Dark Iron Dwarves automatically into members of the Alliance. Yes, ladies and gentleman, that’s how it goes.

Ok, so let’s get back to what the hell is happening with the Dark Irons in Cataclysm. They are actually supposed to be members of the Alliance, yet you have to kill them? Moira is not really that popular among the Dwarves, and some Dark Irons were also corrupted by Deathwing (who wasn’t?) and became part of the Twilight’s Hammer cult. However, some Dark Irons also decided to not become members of the Alliance at all, and have basically deserted. They still view the Bronzebeards in the Wetlands and Loch Modan as enemies, which is why you are tasked with killing them. Moira wants them dead as well, since they are disobedient and basically traitors.

So, quickly to 8.0: Anduin tasks you with helping the Dark Iron Dwarves. The only ones that you are helping are those who are loyal to Moira and the Alliance, not those who have deserted from the clan. Anduin also talks about “officially asking the Dark Iron Dwarves to become allies” which is, and you can have my word for this, absolutely nonsense since their leader is also the most important person in the Council of Three Hammers and is basically the most important Dwarf there is, and they were even present at the Teldrassil summit, and had to vote to let the Gilneans back into the Alliance. So yes, they were allies, and yes, that is also official, but Blizzard needed a reason to “recruit” them. Just forget the whole recruitment nonsense, they were full-fledged members of the Alliance.

I know, this is way too long and maybe irrelevant, but everyone questing throught Dwarf-lands will notice that killing Dark Irons is weird, and I hope that this explanation will help others.

EDIT - a TL;DR;

• Dark irons leave Ironforge after a war with the other clans. They actually summon Ragnaros, the Firelord. Blackrock Mountain surfaces and destroys most of the Redridge Mountains. Dark Irons become enslaved to Ragnaros.
  • Adventurers banish Ragnaros to the Firelands in Vanilla, Dagran Thaurissan is also killed.
  • Moira Thaurissan, daughter of king Magni Bronzebeard and wife of Dagran enforces her rule in Ironforge after Magni becomes incapable to rule. She kidnaps Anduin, Anduin tells dad, dad wants to murder Moira but instead reduces her power by enforcing the authority of the newly established Council of Three Hammers.
  • Government of the Alliance faction, Ironforge, is turned from Bronzebeard-only to a combination of Bronzebeards, Wildhammers and Dark Irons: all Dwarf clans become members of the Alliance.
  • Moira is weak in her leadership, some Dark Irons leave the Alliance and start attacking the Dwarves or become part of the Twilight Hammer. Moira hates them and wants them dead, which is also part of the Bronzebeard’s agenda since they are being attacked by Dark Irons as well.
  • Alliance-friendly Dark Irons become “official allies” (but this is nonsense) of the Alliance in 8.0.
2 Likes

Awesome! I really like the lore part you add to these screenshots. I knew most of this one but there were some things that I did not know, it all kind of makes sense now

1 Like

Heeey you guys! Time for another Snapshot. :slight_smile:

#44 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/cyXzf48

^^ The Correct answer is Dun Modr - Wetlands. Just next to the Thandol Span as Leroch mentions, the bridge between Wetlands & Arathi Highlands.

Well done again to the usual suspects, Leroch & Haiete. Thanks for another great Lore post too. :smiley:

Now to the next Snapshot…

#45 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/mLAKATo

2 Likes

Imgur

Summary

Gorgrond, Everbloom Wilds

That place is too familiar, i’ve been farming for that effin portal to get the void talon raven mount but I gave up

Heyooo! Bit of an earlier post today. Off out for the day & wont be back till later this evening.

#45 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/mLAKATo

^^ The correct answer is Everbloom Wilds - Gorgrond (Draenor). Didn’t play much if at all during Warlords of Draenor, so I wasn’t actually aware that this location was a farming spot. :stuck_out_tongue: When flying around the word of Warcraft in search of cool locations for my Snapshots, I have a certain criteria in mind. The biggest & most important thing is the locations have to be unique. Oddly enough this explains why so many of my Snapshot are pre Warlrod of Draenor… I find in newer expansions, there seems to be less unique or iconic areas that meet my criteria, especially when compared to Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor & Nothrend for example.

Oh & here’s another thing I’ve noticed. Zones designers in recent expansions seem to be afraid of flat land for some reason… Westfall, the Barrens, Desolace, Burning Stepps, Western Plaguelands & Silithus (just to name a few) are generally quite flat or have large, flat open areas. Where as in the last few expansions you can’t seem to walk more than 20 meters or so without there being some kind of incline or decline of some sort. I think the zone designers are going for realism but are over doing it & the result is somewhat unrealistic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhoo, just an observation I keep picking up on why flying around the world. Well done again to Punyelf, you are today’s winner.

And now to the next Snapshot. See you guys tomorrow :slight_smile:

#46 - Where am I?.. https://imgur.com/cjtTePP

1 Like

Everbloom WIlds is a unique and a beautiful place, there is no other similar place in WoW i think, quite noticeable. That area is just one of many different locations where the said portal may spawn, so it’s not technically a farming area.

This one is, I think

Spoiler

Echo Isles / Durotar Troll starting zone. Not sure though it’s been a long time since I created a Troll character

1 Like