Khadgar's Model

Why doesn’t Khadgar look like his Stormwind statue?

It’s very strange, considering he should be way older now than when the statue was created. But now he actually looks younger.

1 Like

According to Dave Kosak, dadgar just shaved his beard when he came back from outland.
According to some, it is because the curse that Medhiv cast that made him look older had its effect negated/started to wear off.

I believe there is no official explanation for his appearance. Could just have been an aesthetic choice they made for WoD.

1 Like

Grom didn’t really sound like he earned his last name of Hellscream when they reintroduced him either (warning, sound starts loud):

and Turalyon also seems like an entirely different person. There’s probably no deeper meaning to it than newer designers having their own take on old established characters though. The established characters in this IP are all pretty old apart from the ones introduced in later WoW expansions so it’s probably to be expected that they change as game tech and writers are switched out.

In Shattrath during TBC he was very old with white beard I seem to remember (been a while). Is this version of him still there?

I guess he did some magic to youngify himself or maybe it was Botox…

1 Like

No, it’s been replaced by “current” Khadgar. The TBC one was basically meant to be an older version of the W2 one where he was a bearded wizard like all the rest of them.

1 Like

This is nearly as bad as the replacing of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi with the “current” younger one…

1 Like

Wizards should be clean shaven so we can see what they’re up to!

1 Like

I prefer the Legion model tbh over the previous version.

Yeah but they should update the statues in Stormwind at least. Because it’s weird seeing them like that.

1 Like

That would certainly be a nice touch.

If I remember correctly, Khadgar himself addresses this, but I don’t remember when. I remember him saying something along the lines that the statue makes him look way older than what he is.

Apparently the wiki reports this as well:

• Curiously, both Khadgar and Turalyon are dissatisfied with their respective statues: the former thinks he doesn’t look as old as his statue depicts him, and the latter thinks his statue’s nose has been botched.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Valley_of_Heroes#cite_note-16 https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Valley_of_Heroes#cite_note-Three_Sisters-11

EDIT: Here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXF6nBLBcXY

2 Likes

I do remember seeing that version of an older-looking Khadgar in Shattrath years ago, which then got updated to the model we know today. I believe that got done during WOD.
So probably that’s why his statue doesn’t look like him. I’d say Turalyon’s doesn’t ressemble much either! :sweat_smile:

All I remember was back in 2007 when I started playing I kept seeing Khadgar’s Whiskers when I was out and about in the world. You can’t imagine my disappointment when I finally came across the guy, nothing about him resembled this glorious plant!

2 Likes

I find concept of powerful wizards looking old in various media (especially DND) hilarious, if you posses powers that can reverse time, heal even the most vile Illness, REGENERATE. Why would you still choose to be fragile longbeard, unless cunning and deceit is your shctick of course
If your spells cant do this, potions usually still can.
Official answer is khagdar is a mage, basically.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of choice. In the books it is mentioned that powerful mages lose their youth gradually the more powerful they are or something to that extent.

which books?

It doesn’t make sense in-universe for warcraft, arcane isn’t some life-siphoning power, if anything chronomancy can be a key to stop aging at all

I think it was in “The Last Guardian” and “Tides of Darkness”.

:man_shrugging: I can only say what I have read and remember.

I liked him more in Shattrath TBC .
He looked way more composed and wise . Like an archmage should be . Think Gandalf .
Now he looks like a 40 year old that dyed his hair white , and acts like a kid playing with firecrackers .
Whatever happened to all those Archmages from Warcraft 3 . Almost all right now are a bunch of fools , goofing off .
Really diminishes the whole Mage RPG vibe , if all mages are a bunch of kids doing party tricks .

I think all the statues in Stormwind shoud be updated. None of the characters looks like their stuate in Stormwind. In WC2 Khadgar had more novice robes and short hair and regular beard. But In TBC he looked too similar to the Archmage Antonidas, Leader of the Kirin tor in WC3 and mentor to Jaina. So maybe too generic of a mage and not something that made him unique from the other old mages of Kirin Tor. But you know, maybe he will let his beard grow back…to look his Age.

Khadgar WC2.

Khadgar in TBC.

Antonidas WC3.

But Im OK with his WOD look, although I admit in WOD I had no Idea. Who was this mage that we were following then found out it was Khadgar and I go “Wait…didn’t Khadgar have a beard??”

Well Khadgar can always go pester the Barber in Stormwind like the rest of us do. Tell the Barber “Kids these days,…they want me to look my AGE!!..I just want to look nice for the ladies”

George Lucas only did that becuase he thought kids would not know who this older Anakin was. That they would believe it was a diffrent Anakin. But kids know people age. Basically he thought kids were dumb.

Well Blizzard had to make them unique and different in Wow. Like in Vanilla wow all the Peasants looked identical. Would work in a strategy game but in a MMO…