Kul Tiran Shamans: How do they work?

If only you could actually wear cloth…

It’s too bad, but if you actually want to actually look like a proper Tidesage you’d still have to go for either mage or priest, in spite of shaman being “the” Tidesage class. ¯\_(ツ)__/¯

Isn’t it in the Kul Tiran allied race story that they also control earth elementals?

I haven’t got home to check yet :slight_smile:

I’d say Shamans can, not necessarily Tidesages.

Yes. But I mean, the storyline seemed to show “bound elementals” which were earthern in nature from what I watched.

Not sure if the woman who controlled them was a tidesage however.

Fairly certain that woman, Dorian Atwater, is a Shaman, judging by the abilities she uses (Lightning, Lava Burst etc).

2 Likes

Ah! Thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile:

Does that mean Kul Tiran shamans do exist? (In their rawest form)

Well, they are playable so, yeah? :smiley:

It might not be as widespread however.

1 Like

When asked about it, she is also like “what’s a shaman?”

1 Like

Maybe they don’t call it shaman there?

Dare I say that they might call them Tidesages

To quote from earlier:

They’re just shaman with a Kul Tiran cultural spin and a religious institution that formed around it. At the end of the day, they’re still shaman who sometimes wield Arcane magic (which according to Chronicles 2 is a terrible idea but nobody ever blamed Kul Tirans for being smart).

5 Likes

Well, I knew that, but she’s the only one (that I know of) that has been shown using Fire spells, while Tidesages seems to only be using water and air, and the occasional arcane.

That’s why I didn’t mention them. :stuck_out_tongue:

The fire could’ve been more elemental fire of shamans than mage’s i guess … :smiley:

Also! In portal room Tidesages are keeping the portal to Boralus, which strengthens of Tidebois having arcane

So basically Shaman, with some arcane :)))

Wait, Tidesages use arcane too now?
Elemental magic, arcane, shadow magic, these guys have it all! Lowkey the most skilled magic users around…

Edit: doesn’t their use of the Void mean that the Tidesages who employ it qualify as dark shaman?

Remember to note that when asked if she is a shaman, Dorian asks ‘what’s a shaman?’ so it seems that the elements are so integrated into some Kul Tirans ways of life that their shamans don’t even know they’re shamans.

For simplicitiys sake it’s best to think of it like this:

Shaman = tidesage.
Priest = tidesage
Mage = tidesage

Kul tirans use the term tidesage to describe a wide range of magical abilities, presumably because all of these magic users hone their magic in the spirit of respect of the tidemother, so it’s religious for them. So I’m not sure that I’d say tidesages can use all magic types, rather you have some tidesages who use arcane magic, some who use elemental and some who use holy and shadow magic. Almost like different chapters within the discipline. Kul tirans do not consider them thematically different however. Just different in degrees of their aptitudes and talents.

The quest involving dorian does indeed show evidence of mastery of all elements being part of the potential tidesage skillset. Including fire.

I would even say what others call “monks” kul tirans again call “tidesage”. Aside from the jarring pandaren thematics (an issue for many races) the class archetype again fits roles shown by tidesages in game: healing with mists is close to water magic. Brother Iron Hull provides us with an example of a tidesage whom is martially trainined and fights in close quarters.

So kul tirans can really only be 5 classes; warrior, hunter, rogue, thornspeaker (druid) and tidesage. Its just that tidesage can be represented by 4 different “class flavours” in mage, priest, monk and shaman.

3 Likes

They’re outright Shaman. Lore wise a Shaman should be able to do most things a Mage does, as long as it relates to wielding Fire/Frost elemental magic.

And yet they can cast arcane portals, which is likely not for ‘dabblers of the arcane’. Zhuangzhi seems to have put it together rather well, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Err. Can they? I haven’t seen that happen.

Then I invite you to visit the Stormwind portal room.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.