Kyrians keep supplying souls to the Maw?

So during the quest Meet the Queen, during the audience Willowblossom says:
“Souls cannot enter the Shadowlands without the Ascended. I understand what is asked of me, and I swear to see it through.”
Which means the kyrian know about all the souls going into the Maw, yet they keep on bringing them to the Shadowlands??
I mean sure the Crest of Ascension have to be repaired for further use, but the souls are still funneling into the Maw with full speed as we see in Oribos.

3 Likes

The Kyrian help them enter the Shadowlands, but it is not them who decide where they go. They don’t even know where they end up - they merely take them through the veil. Thus, they have no idea they’re going to the Maw (well, they figure that out during the Kyrian campaign).

3 Likes

As per Uther’s cinematic it is possible to willingly drop soul in the Maw.
Then again, who knows what the consequences will be if the Kyrian stop taxiing souls to the Shadowlands, but leave them in their living realm.

2 Likes

Indeed, but that’s not the Kyrian Path.

Yes.

They don’t just help them cross the veil. they ferry them to Oribos themselves. And they’re aware that the souls at the moment are dropped straight into the maw. It’s covered in the kyrian campaign, however their job and duty ends when they arrive at Oribos, it does not matter if the souls are funneled straight into the maw unjudged. Since that is the path.

Technically they could drop souls straight into other realms and supply them with souls and anima and starving the maw, they’re just too locked into their ways. At least they are showing signs of change at the later stages of the campaign though.

blind adherence to the path, kyrians are so ignorant its like a crazy cult. They just ditch the souls at oribos knowing they are being sent to hell basically.

3 Likes

It’s staggered moments like this that I just wish they’d hurry the heck up with the storytelling to at least give them substance.

Why wasn’t it addressed in the current campaign even? I get that the Crest of Ascension needed priority and as did the Forsworn threat, but even one of them or just Kyrestia displaying some re-prioritizing of those poor souls her current charges are ferrying would have been nice.

Again, it’s another of those:
“Heck, even just a quote from a random Kyrian nobody would’ve been nice…”

Not gonna lie, a lot of problems we encounter in the shadowlands like the whole anima draught, constant empowering of the maw/Jailer by gaining new souls, and us having to dive in and rescue souls from the Maw, would all potentially be fixed by having the Kyrians not be so stuck in their ways, allowing them to stop ferrying the souls to Oribos and instead to other realms.

Some people might say “But how would the Kyrian know what realm the souls would go to?” It does not really matter, we already risk life and limb by rescuing random souls we encounter in the maw just so we can get some souls to the covenants to use.
Not to mention the maw is the worst of the worst, literally, any afterlife is better for the soul too than the maw. And the Jailer would not gain power every second.

Agreed.

You’d think for an afterlife with a vital system that is costantly being harped on and on about, it should have some kind of contingency plan. Though understandably godly in its design, surely it was still logical thinking that maybe, just maybe the Arbiter might be suddenly unable to function its inherent purpose?

Suppose that’s also a fault problem there. The Kyrian aren’t the only ones who could have thought ahead, but also Oribos itself.

I’m honestly not too mad about this, it is implied the shadowlands does not currently work like it was intended to. With the Jailer being a former eternal one like the primus, winter queen etc. Not to mention Oribos having a damn funnel straight to the maw/whatever it was before Jailer was banished.

That would imply that the bearers traveling the worlds are aware of the situation but can we truly say that? What we know from the campaign is, that they just drop them off there and fly to their next destination. They have basically no Idea where the souls go and it is simply not organizable to bring the souls directly to the covenants, splitting the amount fairly between them. Besides we don’t know what will happen if they stop ferrying souls and the dead are “trapped” on their world.

2 Likes

What would happen if the Kyrian decide to judge and ferry the souls to the afterlives the Kyrian think they deserve?

This.

We don’t know the consequences of what would happen if they we to suddenly stop.
I’m going to hazard a guess that it would be significantly worse. Especially for those still alive. I’m thinking something along the lines of a Rapture or Armageddon scenario with all the dead rising from their graves who can’t pass on. A rampant scourge on every mortal world, just absolute chaos.

That said, I do think it’s a bit stupid that the bearers keep bringing them to the Soul Pillar.

They must be able to see where the soul slipstream is headed… unless they keep locking away their memories to stay impartial. So they’re aware but, not really once they’ve unburdened themselves.
That, or the purpose is hard wired into them after eons of mental conditioning so strongly that, any notion of it otherwise being correct is unthinkable heresy.

To be honest I would hold the Attendants accountable for not acting or providing a purgatory of sorts as a stopgap measure. Surely the First Ones couldn’t have been so short-sighted, given the consequences.
That is unless the Zovaal being in the Maw in the first place is sign of a system failure already. Where the machinery of Death has been operating sub-optimally for some time now. Who knows, maybe the Arbiter was never envisioned in the original design either.

But the general concept of “Who knows /shrug” can be applied to just about anything in the conveniently malleable concepts of WoW’s lore and design. Thus the greater speculation here is just as you said: There was no stopgap or contingency measure in something as drastically important and incredibly intricate as this.

It’s like spending days or weeks uncountable on a highly important project and purposely not having the foresight to save or make a backup. And then making a pikachu shocked expression when the worst does happen.

Heck, I would have liked it if they just put in an Attendant or Broker purposely having tried to keep this so-called Engine of Death purposely weak until Zovaal decided to flip. That would have made much more sense than having 0 plans at all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.