Lame story past expansions

Just me that feels like the story is lame? We get to hear about 1 event in the “world” of warcraft per expansion. Races get no real lore development, characters are obsessed with their emotions. There is never any conflict in azeroth other than “new alien villain whom nobody cares about.”

Old main characters are basically cucks.

What happened to the balls of this game?

9 Likes

I think the devs wanted to play Dragonflight safe after SLs horrible lore/character development. Although I agree.

Nothing feels threatening. The “bad guys” all felt like Disney villians, well even then some Disney villians feel more threatening than Razageth. All the quests are “reunite lovers” or “save the kitten” esque-quests. I really hope they return to a more BFA/WOD types of stories where there’s more cool moments. Hopefully with Metzen returning he can steer it back to that. The game does not feel like Warcraft anymore, just “happy fun times cuddly dragon lands” game.

3 Likes

exactly. Feels like the story is catering to the middle aged karens tbh.

2 Likes

That is a good point tho.

I would have liked if there were multiple forces attacking Azeroth at similar time periods, where your efforts would be divided into multiple fronts and not just “1 enemy”.

Sort of, there’s this bad guy doing stuff here but next patch there’s a different enemy also ploting something here completely unrelated.

Interesting approach.

Yes.

I’d want race lore back. Showing what happens to said races in the game during these events. What are NE thinking about getting a new tree and peace with the forsaken? Because right now, all races are reduced to their leader.

And yes I think Steve Danuser should be fired. He has done nothing but give us anything, very uncool stories. Battle for emotions, Emotionlands and Dragonemotions

2 Likes

It is what it is…
Though I really like DF story so far, and hated Shadowlands…
It is true that races/classes deserve a bit more love. I would love to see a story explaining Lightforged Warlocks for example…

Unfortunately, there is something that explains it. And I say unfortunately because…

It’s just a dialogue. Apparently there’s a Lightforged NPC you talk to and the answer pretty much amounts to a change of opinions and station rather than anything significant or concrete.

I am being purposely vague in case you or others want to find that tid-bit of info!

1 Like

Didn’t know! Thanks!

A big part of what I hated about the faction war was that they hadn’t allowed for moral ambiguity between the factions in a long, long time. The Horde were “manipulated” into doing bad things, and Anduin’s super friends fought to minimize the damage, because fighting is bad, hmkay? In the service of that we forgave any evil, from twisting dark magics to genocide. Just say you’re sorry, and we’ll all move on. So I certainly wasn’t sorry to see the faction war scrapped.

Imagine my delight when I found out that now everyone is part of the super friends faction that can’t do no wrong, except some misguided NPCs that we will either convert, or reluctantly stop while crying about it. I really miss stoic, angry or vengeful badasses…

It doesn’t help that I care even less about the cast of lizards we have right now than I did about the cast of emotionally dangerously unstable racial leaders we had before. A part of that is that ancient super powerful lizards aren’t exactly easy to relate to, even if you have them be as flighty as teenagers. But the writing and its onscreen execution is still a part of it. I mean… the story of the Incarnates isn’t exactly bad, but does anyone actually emphasize with them on an emotional level? Do you feel the hurt and anger at their friends’ betrayal? We have all the hints that the Titans weren’t exactly doing a world a favour, when they decided to meddle, and the dragons putting them in a cell and throwing away the key for tens of thousands of years, just so that the Titans get their way, should make for relatable villains. But on screen? The dragons and the Incarnates just have a difference of opinion that they seem to politely agree to disagree on, while they regrettably work against each other.

Way too hecking civilized for me.

And don’t get me started on the world building this expansion. The Alliance admitting fel-corrupted demons isn’t worth more than a shrug these days, as clear as the trajectory has become. And sure, let’s do a 3 (or rather 5, considering we should have missed the stuff that happened during SL) year time skip… without telling anyone what happened in between. Maybe next addon, if they feel generous…

1 Like

Truee. Story has lost all depth and has forces you to learn more about the story on google/youtube than in actual game. I still think Steve Danuser should be fired for his bad story telling. It is boring, it ruins all characters and lore it touches and is told the most incomprehensible way possible.

Tbh I get the same vibe from Steve that I get from the story. Lame, soy and full of himself.

2 Likes

Well, it’s kinda a game and not a visual novel, or a story based single player experience like CoD MW, so the lore is kind of secondary to the gameplay, imo. BUT that does not change the fact that the story went towards the mishmash Hollywood “you-need-to-tick-every-box-or-your-story-is-being-demolished” kind of aberration. I still enjoy the world and such and it gave me utter joy to have Ebyssian as the new Black Dragon Aspect, but that’s all from the main story. I can’t really connect to the screeching chicken and yet to see the other 3’s story.

Imagine Fyrakk going full rampage on the whole globe just as Deathwing did after being heated up in the cave… everything is burning, people dying, world is burning. The thing is with the primal is that they miss the proto aspect of their existence: I’ve always imagined them like the ones in Northrend. Fyrakk is only chaotic because of the element he uses, which is fine, gives some personality to them, but I agree that they behave milder than I’d expect a primal to be.

Do you know where the NPC is? It doesn’t look like the one from warlock questline and the one in SW training hall doesn’t talk.

I believe it is the one attached to giving Soulstones to Warlocks! I haven’t explored it myself so I can’t give you a solid.

1 Like

You mean in the new questline for imp customisations? There is only one LFD npc and it’s the main protagonist of the story. → SPOILERS for those who havent done it yet. ← He is quite bore. He is upset that The Light saved always only a fracture of his people, enough to survive, but never thrive, not sure if out of grudge against the Light or if he thinks its not just powerful enough, but he simply seeks more power due to that. Boring I guess.

Ah, yeah, that.

Eeeyup. That’s pretty much it. I would have enjoyed some elaboration, but I suppose it ‘’‘’‘works’‘’‘’.

1 Like

LFD lore is a bit vague but I guess it works then. Altough it’s boring and turns LFDs into basic Draenei but shiny, who are reduced to humans but aliens, Blizzard is simply humanificating all races by allowing all classes to them but not bothering writing something interesting behind it. How for example using Fel affects LFD? Warlock class fantasy was at least spared this time.

So ye, it’ the new warlock only questline. I summed it above if you aren’t interested in doing it. Or you can find it on youtube.

The problem is Blizzard keep trying to tell a character-focused story that does not play well to either their strengths of the strengths of the genre. They need to refocus on world building and lore development rather than these character-heavy marvel-esque plots.

Still what we have now is better than what we had in BfA, Shadowlands and honestly Legion. In large part because any damage it can do is relegated to this irrelevant island that we can all go back to pretending doesn’t exist once Dragonflight ends. Similar to WoD. Meanwhile Legion and BfA both destroyed entire zones for literally nothing but shock value and mutilated the old world in other ways. Faction conflict is absolutely off the table now, honestly there being two factions after BfA makes ZERO sense.

1 Like

So far the writing seems very soft this expansion. But, I’ve yet to finish some of the newer parts of the campaign so I don’t fully know, it might be less so later on. That said, it does feel for lack of a better word very ‘soy’.

They’ve introduced a few new races, revisited others like the centaur and tuskarr, and also expanded upon the dragon aspect/ dragonkin lore. But, they seem to be adverse to giving the story more depth by tackling more complicated (morally grey) issues that don’t breakdown into overcoming some sort of emotional issue for the most part that projects the merits of jolly co-operation.

For now, the story seems a lot more homogenous and less about what makes these new
& revisited races and characters unique. You don’t need some cataclysmic big bad or Jailor 5D chess to make an interesting plot but, there definitely needs to be more diversity of issues, complexity and intrigue injected into the lore.

Part of me believes there isn’t because they’re trying to appeal to a younger/fresh audience nowadays. So they are simplifying things to bring in new blood to the playerbase. Regardless, the problem is this makes the narrative feel somewhat too bland as if your eating the same meal day to day, zone to zone.

1 Like

there was no faction war lol

we got to sit on the sidelines & watch a couple of lame battles between the Main Characters then the “war” got abandoned when azshara showed up

Bfa was all Afrasiabi. And the final say is with Ion.