Laptop + ultrawide?

Hello beautiful people!

I am casually playing the game on my zephyrus g14 (Ryzen™ 7 4800HS, GTX 1650) and it runs the game pretty well. I have to get a monitor now and I’ve seen people saying that playing wow in ultrawide monitors is a pleasure. Does it actually make sense for me to get such a monitor with my laptop, or would it chop the FPS rate in half?

Ty guys!

hello, i happen to own a g14 (4800hs, 1660 ti) aaand a 3440x1440 ultrawide, though mine is attached to a desktop with an rtx 3080. playing wow on an ultrawide is fantastic because it gives you so much room on the screen, it feels way less cramped. in other games it instead feels really immersive.

but there’s a huge difference between 1920x1080 and 3440x1440. it’s 2.07m and 4.95m pixels, or more than twice as many. if you want to get a taste for what the performance would be like, try putting resolution scale on 156% (2986x1680). i don’t know if i think it’s such a great idea. the thing that ages laptops like this is the graphics card, and you’re moving that expiration date forward a ton. there’s no thunderbolt on the g14 to my knowledge, so you wouldn’t be able to get an external gpu either.

so, in short. ultrawide good, combo with 1650 g14 maybe not so good. maybe a 2560x1080 ultrawide? i could barely find any that were 100hz+ and they were as expensive as the 3440x1440 ones almost so it doesn’t make the most sense. wouldn’t really recommend 34" 2560x1080 either.

Your FPS will tank hard. If your going Ultrawide (21:9 or “better”), you are practically “forced” to go 1440p or higher because it will look just bad with 1080p. And your 1650 is not that strong.

That is only dependent on settings used. WoW responds really well to setting when the GPU is the limiting factor.

Here I have some benchmarks of 1080p vs 3440x1440 ultrawide for mode 7:

https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/games2.rk.edu.pl/images/slc_gpu_dazar_resolutions.png

But if you play with the settings even GT 1030 can work:

https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/games2.rk.edu.pl/images/sls_gt1030_mode_scaling.png

More on:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/world-warcraft-shadowlands-beta-benchmarks/

aaand then the next expansion comes out and you’re really sad. or you decide you want to play a different game and it’s way more demanding. plus you’re coming from 1080p 120hz with the g14 so maybe you want a pretty high framerate. my 2015 macbook pro ran wod okay, but throw bfa at it and it cries.

4800hs is a monster compared to the 1650, or even the 1660 ti in mine. 3 years from now the cpu will be trucking along just fine and the gpu will be struggling. by moving the resolution up a ton, you’re moving up the laptop’s expiration date. it’s not a desktop where you just put a new graphics card in. my macbook’s trackpad, screen, keyboard, battery etc have all aged really well, but the performance is dreadful.

my opinion is that you should put the part that ages the worst in a position to succeed so you’re not stuck replacing the whole laptop way before you’d otherwise want to, when you’d still be happy with the rest of it.

If he wants ultrawide for WoW but not Cyberpunk then why not. He doesn’t have to use it for other games or then just build a PC and use that display with it. The GPU is weak but for lighter settings in WoW it will manage - wherever it’s worth to buy ultrawide for this only is another question.

Thank you very much for the answers to all of you :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:!! I was not very knowledgeable about graphic cards’ aging. I also find the benchmarks quite interesting.

I get that playing at 3440x1440 with this laptop is feasible, but at a cost on graphic settings, FPS and the card’s lifespan. Thus, maybe not the best idea.

I do not have an special crave to play on ultrawide but I use the computer to work for the most part, and it would surely be useful for that. I might as well consider getting a noice 2K/UWHD/WQHD to meet somewhere in the middle :slight_smile:

Thanks again! Any other comments/recommendations are still appreciated.

just to be clear, i did not mean aging and lifespan in the sense that it will break, i meant that it will be too slow for you to want to game on it. higher resolution gaming is more demanding for the gpu to deal with, so you reach the point where it becomes too slow earlier since games get progressively more demanding as time goes on.

definitely agree that it would be nice for productivity, or even 4k for that matter. the pixel density at 14" 1080p feels fine to me for the most part, but it can feel pretty cramped on the desktop sometimes. i think there’s some value to just getting a desktop setup in general as well so you’re not hunched over a small laptop screen too much. ultimately that’s about what you prioritise and what you think you need.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.