Latest update from blizzard on patch installs /problems ?

Has anyone had an update from blizzard either on here (doubt it) or via tickets regarding patch problems with not being able to download anything and getting “fetching manifest” info and if they have bitdefender on as av - has anyone had any success . It’s nearly Christmas and it’s kind of sad a whole lot of us can’t get into the game due to technical issues . I want to know if anyone has had direct contact with blizzard as I’ve not had any luck they just ignore tickets it’s disgusting

3 Likes

Same Problem here, reInstall Battle[.]net Software: unable to connect to Patchserver

1 Like

Hiya Madamlamb,

Have you tried to temporarily unistall Bitdefender to see if the install/update goes through normally afterwards?

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

But uninstalling Bitdefender is not an option, before 8.1 everything was working fine, i believe that it can work as before. Do something with it blizzard, hes not the only with that problem.

1 Like

Download? Not an issue. To actually have a playable game? That there is an issue with.

Quest logs that won’t update, pick-ups that won’t function, enemy targets that are not able to be attacked to name a few.

1 Like

I’ve actually uninstalled bitdefender and downloaded wow in safe mode to get the patch details but every time there is a small update it reverts back to “fetching manifest” I’m sorry but if you think the answer is to tell everyone with problems to remove their av software even temporarily to play a game that has in house purchases and leaves my internet open for abuse then YOUR CRAZY and I’m gonna be posting this - once again automated robotic answer screenshot all over Twitter and Instagram (where blizzard love to try and tempt people back in the game) coz you have known about this problem for over a week now and done nothing but fob us all off . Spend some of that 1.5BILLION DOLLARS in revenue u get a year on sorting this and actually act like a company who cares

2 Likes

To be strictly fair, the problem is with Bitdefender misidentifying WoW as a threat and blocking it. Nevertheless, it is a problem for Blizzard, as Bitdefender is a very very common antivirus with hundreds of millions of licenses in use.

The interesting thing is that other Battle-net apps have patched fine. Hearthstone and Battle-net itself have patched more than once since WoW stopped being able to, it’s just WoW that won’t patch.

Possibly due to number of files changing in one blast, or they might be doing something odd that’s triggering it. When I monitor the software when it is stuck, it constantly opens new network connections which terminate after awhile. Usually adds about 400 connections that have been abruptly killed at once before they are dying from timeout at the speed they are created. Whole machine becomes unusable because of the amount of bandwidth it uses up. Agent.exe has used up well over 100GB of bandwidth for me this week, purely retrieving the download or patch manifest files.

Not a word.

And installing via Safe Mode was a limited success as I still haven’t got the game running.

If I run wow in normal mode - it uses nearly no CPU, very little memory (5mb), zero disk, and hogs nearly all the internet bandwith. I’ve left this running like this for 15 minutes and it didn’t start so I gave up.

If I run wow in safe mode - it uses CPU about what I expect ~20%, the memory creeps up gradually, and it still hogs nearly all the internet bandwith. Again I’ve left this running like this for 15 minutes and it didn’t start so I gave up. At this point it was using 2.5GB of memory.

In safe mode bitdefender is not be running, no services nothing. So it is not just bitdefender that is the problem. My guess is that wow is doing something wrong and that bitdefender is just making this more obvious, perhaps catching the problem earlier.

If Warcraft and the agent were working normally I think bitdefender wouldn’t block it, but it seems to be doing odd things, e.g. the many connections that get opened, and so bitdefender blocks it as it should.

The pre-download of 8.1 did not work for me, probably a similar issue. And like others I’ve had no problems with the normal weekly patches leading up to 8.1.

Also I installed the Hearthstone Rumble patch at the beginning of last week normally and with no issues. However, this week’s small patch is hitting issues, and I’ve not managed to get it to install in safe mode yet either.

So on top of the issues with the game itself something is definitely broke with the battle.net agent, and it’s occurred in the past week.

So no Warcraft or Hearthstone since 8.1 hit, that’s money well spent.

1 Like

I’m wondering if they use their Bittorrent style updating system for all their patches or just the big ones? The 8.1 patch definitely attempts to use the ports associated with Bittorrent, as well as Blizzard’s bfilenet protocol, not sure what the usual patches do.

On the first day I tested a regular torrent to see if that had issues and it was totally fine, so definitely something specific to this situation.

They don’t seem very interested in sorting it out, still stating it’s a personal problem for the customers effectively. Sad to miss WoW over Christmas, but I have other MMOs to play. Blizzard are earning a reputation for buggy software of late and there’s little that will put gamers off more than unreliability.

2 Likes

Many problems with WoW and Bitdefender the past few months. No patch downloads starting, huge in game lag and ms, open browser lagging, internet problems.

Found that on Reddit. Worked for me.

Thank you for sharing that here Maiolia, but please do not bump such old threads. If you cannot find a recent thread that matches your description, create a new thread for yourself instead.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!