Level Squish Numbers: What they should be

With Blizzard now sending out surveys on the topic I believe that it’s quite fair to assume that they want to push for this change, which brings me to writing this topic.

There have been threads on this a few months ago where in many people including myself went back and forth arguing on the pros and cons of such a change.

My main issue today however is with how they are going to squish it; which level turns in to what.

In the previous threads I posted the following, these are numbers that I feel would be to most players’ satisfaction and that these are the exact numbers that we should ask / push for because any other set of numbers could mess up the game pretty badly.

These numbers are according to Ion Hazzikostas’ comment stating that lv120 would turn in to lv60.

This is most likely the only way to properly reduce the amount of levels that we currently have.

Current level -> New Level
1 -> 1
10 -> 5
19 -> 9
20 -> 10
29 -> 14
30 -> 15
39 -> 19
40 -> 20
49 -> 24
50 -> 25
59 -> 29
60 -> 30
69 -> 34
70 -> 35
79 -> 39
80 -> 40
84 -> 42
85 -> 43
89 -> 44
90 -> 45
99 -> 49
100 -> 50
109 -> 54
110 -> 55
119 -> 59
120 -> 60

Some levels have been manually rounded off downward to make sure that the original bracket distribution does not change.

New PvP Brackets:
5 - 9 (Previously 10-19)
10 - 14 (Previously 20-29)
15 - 19 (Previously 30-39)
20 - 24 (Previously 40-49)
25 - 29 (Previously 50-59)
30 - 34 (Previously 60-69)
35 - 39 (Previously 70-79)
40 - 44 * (Previously 80-89)
45 - 49 (Previously 90-99)
50 - 54 (Previously 100-109)
55 - 59 (Previously 110-119)
60 (Endgame) (Previously 120)

I also suggest that Blizzard makes sure that this change does not have any effect on existing characters other than changing the number next to their portrait.

Bugs could result in people’s characters gaining levels that they would not have otherwise have gotten e.g. A lv 70 character being level 42 after the squish due to the total amount of experience that that character has gathered thus-far.

Lastly, I would like to stress that a change such as this is only possible ONCE in World of Warcraft’s lifetime. IF you give us another 5+ expansions that add 10 levels each then you’ll just put us back to where we are right now.

You can’t squish the levels again or you’ll end up getting your mount at level 10, Epic mount at level 15 and so forth. It would completely mess up progression.

Remember that this thread is purely just for Blizzard’s reference on what numbers they should use.

This thread is not intended for discussion on whether or not we should even have this change at all and if this change would or would not solve anything (I firmly believe that it won’t change a thing by itself).

Just a few snippets;

You’re assuming it’s going to be a 1 to 1 identical leveling experience with no changes outside of a number changing. Why does it have to be?

Pretty sure you’ll find they have a very experienced team behind it and will know a lot more than one forum-goer. Not to be rude but it seems like you’re talking down on them a bit, especially with stating the obvious and all that.

Well there’s a couple things here;

1; The more squishes the more each level actually means something, so unlocking stuff earlier is completely fine.
and 2; They can just merge more expacs together, it’s not rocket science.

All in all I can hardly see it mattering much. Really not sure why it’s such a big deal in all honesty :thinking:

1 Like

Because they said as much. They wanted to reduce the “big scary number” for new players, the leveling experience won’t change; You still kill everything in one hit, AoE all of the barrens at once and get nothing for leveling up. The only change is that each level now takes twice as long.

I would be lying if i said that I had complete faith in their abilities after having seen the last few expansions. It would be unwise of you to trust them blindly.

You can achieve the same effect by increasing the experience requirement to reach the next level. There’s no need to turn level-60 in to level 10 to do this.

It is far more unlikely that they’ll choose to go that route instead of going with the easier solution of simply switching up the experience requirements to level up and squishing levels. We’re literally talking about the latter happening right this very moment.

1 Like

This is not going to make leveling feel any better in fact it will be the same amount of xp required, just the levels are renamed.

Does it matter if 110 is now level 55 and 120 is now level 60? No because if the same amount of xp is required to get from 110 to 120 is still there, then changing levels is a moot point.

The real issue will be when people hit the dreaded level 60 to 90 or if we change level points 30 to 45, it will seem like a real slog and forever.

1 Like

55, but yeah you’re right. If you halve the levels then each level will take twice as long to get.

…Which ironically makes the game more tedious.

1 Like

I would rather they just collapse expansions on top of each other:
1-40 classic
40-50 all old expansions (free to choose between outland, pandaria, draenor, legion etc.)
50-60 current expansion (collapse into 40-50 vracket once expansion ends)

Gives more choices in which area to level, and removes the dreaded old expansion leveling experience

they should just scale everything to 10 levels or something like that because BIG numbers lik 120 are very scary and can strain the brain and that is not something anybody would want

1 Like

Even though you don’t want to discuss it, why do we need a level squish? It’s just a number.

2 Likes

Exactly. If we keep the amount of xp needed for max level what exactly is the point of lvl squish? to get rewards like talents more offten? why not add more talents then? Why not add old talent tree with some not gamebreaking choices like “increase frostbllt damage by 5%” 1/5 and stuff like that. Because at the end idk what looks more “scary” - number 120 or leveling doing quests in 3 full zones for one level up…

1 Like

Dont really remember them saying that leveling experience would not change.

They could collapse the expansions so that player can level in whichever zone they want after certain level (say 30 or 40). Give new expansion 5 levels, 55-60, just for the sake of squish (not 10).

Thats one and most likely outcome.

But there is a bit of disatvantage to that. Blizzard would go back to old levels and put themselves in timelock. As they have done with rescaling the damage and stat squish. After a while we get back to the point we were. This plan does not solve the problem it just delays it.

Well I do not know what Blizzard is planning, but they already have a solution in one of their games - Diablo.

World of Warcrafts leveling experience is messed up, timelines and story. Lets say it is not a fun experience for veteran players and confusing for new players. Classic zones provide player enough experience to reach level 60. That is where the paragon levels come in all the mobs stay level 60 the nessesary content is still there but not mandatory to do. World feels engaging and dangerous. There will be some RPG elements to it. As Paragon levels will serve to enchance the character on the expansion opening new talents or skills (same as Legion weapons did). This paragon levels could stay or be discarded to every new expansion (new season D3).

It’s not that I don’t want to discuss it, I just don’t believe it’ll get us anywhere.

Personally I don’t think we need one. I don’t even understand why people find “120” scary, like… at all.

Remove levelling completely, thank you have a nice night.
Doesn’t matter if you have to level to 60 or 600 if they both take 100 hours.

I am very drunk at the moment so my apologies!!!

I like this level squish and of course Jaina showing more leg and chest is always amazing. Will respond when sober tomorrow, but then again wgaf!!!

Well, that explains that then.

1 Like

Serious question though, does blizzard actually have statistics or the just assume that new players are scared of the big bad 120? And how much it takes.

I would guess that someone with at least half a brain would understand that it’s balanced in a way that it will not take you an eternity to get to that level.

Not below 90 .

First reasons is : 7 EXTENSIONS , there too much thing existing to go back to 60 .

It works when game was news , but not now

But … What if instead take your level, they add news rows with damage increase / cooldown reduced between each major ? Like .

Each 5 level you can choice one minor talent to upgrade one of your existing spell, then each 15 you get one major point who allow a powerfull spell/gamechanging passive .

And two news rows with one being 3 différent “legiondary” (no seriously, who think it will be fun to add them at your regular row when they are not enough interesting) And second being “Azerith” with 3 of the most popular for each specs to allow player not feeling too week when you lost them totaly

It will be a mix between old talent tree/ news with more choice and more fun.

NB: If they want you to feel more powerfull when you ding, STOP taking away what you get and give you news thing instead.

Being low level again wont make me happy if i lose again something who make me fun to play everytime .

Level squish? I don’t want this.

2 Likes

should be better

According to the survey the squish will happen.

They probably don’t have statistics and just assume.

I don’t see any way to even gather statistics on this aside for a poll/survey one of which hasn’t happened.

All I get from this is that they just gave up trying to find ways to make 120 levels work even though it’s a hilariously easy non-issue to fix even without a level squish.

I didn’t understand any of that, sorry.

…Are you high?

1 Like