Level Squish Thread - Why it would not work

Ohh like thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat… yeah I get it now. Sort of.

This however is what people hate. It removes character progression because you’re always stuck scaled to 80 or 90.

Also this still means that 20 levels will be removed from characters. What would even happen to characters that are currently lv120?

Of course when I said change the player, not the world I only mean during the leveling process. In WOTLK zones your character will be scaled down to a WOTLK level only in case you have not already leveled those 10 WOTLK levels. If you have already level up to WOTLK 10 when you play in WOTLK zones you should be able to scale down to WOTLK 10 or keep your character and gear with the power of the current expansion.

You will be forced to WOTLK 1, or the level you accomplished on WOTLK zones, only in case you skipped those levels or you are yet in the leveling process.

No, those 20 levels are not removed, those levels are just optional. Any player at level 120 is the same as a player who has already leveled 1-60 in Classic and 1-10 from every expansion, including BFA. So instead of 120, our level will be BFA 10, and from there we will level from Next Expansion 1 to Next Expansion 10. The different is from new players, they won’t require to play 30 of the 130 levels of the next expansion to have the same level as us to do high-end content.

Aaaaand you’ve lost me again. We’re back to being confused. What need is there for the player to get scaled, again?

If 120 is the max levels you can have, they’re not optional. There will be a power difference between a lv100 and 120. if not, why even have the 20 levels?

I think, humbly, that the level system is too intricate to wow as it is now.
I like the idea of making expansion optional and being scaled to the content, but the downside of that is what happens when you go back to farming? Will you keep being scaled down? Will there be some achievement or simply an npc to prevent being scaled down?
What I’d much rather see is more current content for leveling players. Especially now with the allied races; it just feels weird following a story they were never involved in. To learn history, they smartly put in but it doesn’t help.
No, I’d like to see the old world updated. Put important lore in single player scenarioes, and rebuild zones. Make leveling players able to relive history while also making an effort to end-game. It can simply be NPC’s in questhub that require resources for scraps of endgame reputation and/or currency. Maybe those resources can be existing, maybe they are new and put in the history-scenarioes for earning.
Make invasions for lower levels. Timewalking is possible, why not do something for brackets 20-40 and 40-60 and so on?
Create an expansion on EK/Kalimdor itself to give reason for high and low levels to roam the same areas. The world is always empty because every expac comes with a new zone which takes players away from the other zones. New zones are a good thing, but why not use the timewalking/scaling technology more to keep the entire world alive? Not just instances. Not just a numbers-adjustment. New content not just for endgame.

1 Like

There are 20 optional levels because you only need to level 100 of those 120 levels. The first 60 and the last 20 are mandatory but in between, you only level two expansions, that means only you can choose 20 levels of the range 60-100 and skip the other 20, you can go back later to level those 20 levels, or you can level every one in order without skipping,for example you can skip WOD, that would be the same as after being level 90 in Pandaria automatically change to level 100 to start Legion.

Those 20 optional levels are still there for doing old content in case someone wants to level up all the 120 levels. If you skipped WOD leveling you can’t go back to WOD being a level 120 player, you will be reduced to level 90 in WOD zones, or WOD 1, until you level those 10 levels you skipped until reaching WOD 10.

I think is enought with having some option in the UI to choose if we want to be scaled down or not. And the only requeriment to allow players to not being scaled down is to have level up the 10 levels of that expansion, that means if you skip an optional expansion you wont be able to go back to farming as a level 120 until you complete the 10 levels of that expansion.

But you skip an expansion to not have to level it, why make it mandatory to level through it anyway if you want to go back for farming something?

Okay but for what reason?

what are the optional 20 levels for? why not just get rid of them? Because you can’t?

To have some reward for those who had level in every expansion, because they choose it or because they did it when there was no option to skip. You choose to skip an expansion to reach faster the max level of the current expansion, so you can raid after 100 levels and not 130. If sudenly you also want to farm old content you must at least level go back and level those skipped levels.

Well, that is the point of being optional, they are optional because you can choose to skip those levels, and some other player will choose to not skip those levels. And precesiley because by not removing those levels there is no need to change anything in the game world nor today nor in future expansions. If those 20 levels are removed Blizzard will need to adapt all the previous expansion for that and they will need to do it again with every expansion to keep the same number of 100.

That way is better to keep the game world unchanged and keep the 120 levels or130 in the next expansion and just separate them for every expansion leaving to the player choose what expansions they want to level.

Is just the same as profession, back in Legion we level professions from 1 to 800. Today we have the same 800 points and more from BFA but instead of 1-900 there are 1-300 Classic, 1-75 TBC and so on. If you dont care about old expansions you only level the 100 BFA points, what is the point of keeping the previous 800 points if they are optional? Well, those 800 points are optional and you can choose the option to not level up those expansions, but that those not mean there is othe players who choose the option to level up the profession points for every expansion.

So just like you do not need to level the profession in every expansion to reach BFA maybe it will be a good option that characters do not need to level in every exapansion to reach BFA, but that does not means we should remove the option to level up the professions or the character in every expansion if someone wants to do it.

what incentive do people have to do the 20 levels?

Why not just keep the number at 120?

There are no previous 800 points. they were divided in to expansions. nobody has “800” in anything.

All that you’re suggesting… you’re just running in circles for no reason.

Just go with this and be done with it. It requires no other changes. No new technology. No additional costs ánd it has a track record of having worked in the past for many, many years.

What incentive would be? Obviously to play the previous expansions from those 20 levels. There is no need to need any incentive, maybe you don’t want to play again in some expansions (and that is okay), but that does not mean those 20 levels should be removed and not allow other players to not skip any expansion.

Because the point is to reduce the number of levels required to reach the current expansion. So new players will see that the need to level up 100 levels to play in BFA or the next expansion, not 120 or 130.

I mean that back in Legion I had 800 points in every profession. Sorry, sometimes I made mistakes with the past tense, I am not a native English speaker. And precisely the points were divided into expansions and are optional, I do not today need to level up WOTLK Jewelcrafting to start leveling up BFA Jewelcrafting , that is the point, to have the same for character level, divide levels per expansion and make some expansions optional, those levels are there in case some player want to level all 120 levels.

So does my proposal. It does not require changes because all the original content and levels will remain unchanged, there is nothing to tune nor adapt. And it does not require new technology because the technology to scale gear and level to any expansion already exists in the game.

Precisely your idea is impossible, Blizzard have mentioned many times that they cant keep adding abilities and keep the game balanced. We have the problem that there are few things among too many levels because they have already reached the point where they can’t keep adding new abilities or talents to characters. Is already saturated.

Level will be a value(data type) in the game defined by an amount of experience which will also be a value.

take that and divide it by 2…a surprisingly simple sum.

and viola you have every single thing at half.

I’m assuming that levels and all character related elements are a sub class of the playable character in the actual code, therefore a change like this is actually quite easy to implement and won’t affect the other aspects of the game unless they want it too.

But the game needs a change to create more appeal to new players.

I’m sorry but this will never work. There are so many reasons why it won’t that I don’t even know where to start.

I don’t even know what to say honestly, all of this is incredibly confusing and I can’t possibly see this work in practice. I can’t even imagine it in a hypothetical situation.

Okay, how do you divide level 1? And 3? 5? 7? 9? Any other uneven number? How would that affect existing characters? Gear? Items? Skills? Talents? Damage numbers?

You can’t just divide everything by half. Thats just not how any of this works.

I never said to ADD abilities and even if I did – they can. They’ve pruned far too many abilities over the years and even in BfA unpruned some of them. There are plenty of abilities and passive effects to go in to a talent tree that spans from 10 to 120. These would not cause any imbalance issues.

That’s a contradictory statement. First you say that there are too few things and then you say that they can’t add any more.

They literally can.

I thought the idea was to delete levels 1 to 60 so that new players start at 60 but with the option to play 1 to 60 in classic as a timewalking session.

Why in the world would any game not start at level 1?

What is going on here?

The number has literally nothing to do with it, though. It’s perfectly possible to add small things every other level.

Remember the old talent system?

1 Like

This is the main issue. The last toons ive levelledbarely touched 2\3 zones in old world and 1\2 in the further expansions.
The content now totally meaningless. maybe some change could improve this experience.

Never experienced it so no uwu

Easy. Add up all the XP gained for every level, plus what you’ve gained on the current level.

Define the new level caps.

Level the player up as long as his total XP pool is above what’s required to get a level and subtract the XP required from the total XP pool. Keep going until there isn’t enough XP for the next level. Done. Easy.

True. When you level squish, there’d also be some sort of power squish. However, frankly, the game could do with a lot less level brackets for PvP, so you won’t find me crying over that.

The numbers, having been retuned from an accompanying stat squish, will have to be tuned just as they have been every time a stat squish has occured. We’ve been through that before, it’s completely fixable.

Everyone would be wearing gear like that.

Are you the sort of guy that thinks giving everyone $1000 makes everyone richer, incidentally?

Already broken, needs a look-over anyway.

I don’t see the problem? Yeah it’d have to be reevaluated, but it’s not hard to set the new caps.

Professions while levelling are so broken beyond repair that they need a total overhaul regardless.

They’ve already added scaling tech to the whole lot of them. I doubt this will cause any problems at all.

Indeed, and that’s a good thing, because doing this is exactly why we want a level squish in the first place!

Same level as whatever level you get your 60% mount at I’d suggest. Not a hard question.

True. Two simple decisions. I guess Demon Hunters should go to Broken Isles first, so take the Broken Isles level range and subtract 2. Same goes for DK’s and Northrend. Maybe we’ll put Broken Isles and Northrend in the same range now and, if we do, they might start at the same level. Or they might not. Who knows? Either way, not a difficult decision.

If 20 was fine in classic when the level cap was 60, it’s fine now. No reason to change it.

So a stat squish. We’ve been through that before.

Exactly. This is good. This is what we want. It’s broken right now. Nobody wants to be forced to do >10 year old content as part of their levelling experience, no matter how good it might be.

The entire levelling game needs a redesign. That’s the whole point. This is like saying skiing is dangerous and problematic because you’d have to go down a mountainside.

Nobody cares that the number at max level is 120 or 130 or 60 or whatever. The whole point is refreshing and overhauling levelling. If we don’t want to do that, we may as well not bother at all.

We already did all those things. This game used to take ~250 hours to level through, and now it takes ~25, and the thing is we do want EXACTLY the things you suggest we’re trying to avoid.

The game’s already messed up more than I could ever imagine. It literally can’t get any worse than it is. It’s time to fix it!

1 Like

This is the perfect. The actual situation is ridiculous.
With no change we’ll have the new xpack at 130 cap. 130!!! jesus. i die just to think to level again somethin.