Levelling characters and pet battling

There’s a question that has been bothering me lately. I’ve read a couple of posts recently that happened to mention or imply that you can level characters with pet battling. I didn’t know that you could do this but as I’ve still got an Allied Race that I want to get the Heritage Armor for and it would let me get some of the collecting / safari achievements at the same time, can anyone confirm that you can do this? Cheers.

Yes, you can absolutely do this.

But there are restrictions.

If you just want to get character XP then you can do that by genociding a predictable population of Level 23-25 wild pets. I prefer the Icespines in Frostfire these days, but the Critters in the field between Halfhill and Lucky Yi, and the Aquatics at Mistfall, are also popular XP-grinding spots…

You will get XP equivalent to about 40% of a quest (but not the enemy-kill XP, ofc). If you take an efficient team and bandages, you can get character XP pretty much equal to questing.

However, the level of the highest level pet you use in a battle is critical for the amount of XP you get. So, for example, if you are looking for a P/P Spawn of Onyxia in Dustwallow, and you are cutting your way through the various Level 14 Spawn around the front of Onyxia’s Lair with a team of 25s, you will get no XP.

To be eligible for either pet or character XP from a battle, you must be using pets around the same level as your targets. I think you can use up to two levels higher, but that might have been affected by the 9.1 changes. It’ll be something like that, though - battling Level 14 Spawn with a team of level 15s or 16s should work to get you your XP while you farm.

So if you have pets around that level, you’re golden. I know someone - most recently known as Isdy, though I remember “Professor Patpending” fondly - who has this organised to a fine art, and can extract XP from everywhere! Since pets invariably level up as they are used, the trick is to keep a solid set at all levels: when your level 16 team levels up, have a level 14 team ready tio replace them, and use your former level 16 team in level 18 areas now.

See also the Wild Pets segment of Xu-Fu’s Powerlevelling Guide https://www.wow-petguide.com/Guide/44/Powerleveling_Guide

2 Likes

Thanks, that was the reply I was hoping for.

I can run several teams of appropriate level pets to mitigate the problem of outlevelling or keeping the pets same-ish level. I’m more interested in capturing blues to add to my collection and doing the safari achievements than gaming the system with wildly overpowered pets.

Cheers

A word of advice: Breed is more important than Blueness, at least where Breed is relevant.

Blue stones are a dime a dozen these days, especially if you run alts. Any SL or BfA WQ that rewards Charms rewards enough to buy a Blue stone. (1 Blue Stome = 15 Charms)

And you can change the Rarity of a pet with a stone, but you can’t change the Breed.

In the case of a lot of Safari pets, you never expect to use them in battles, so Breed maybe doesn’t matter, but I find myself always considering, just in case they suit some particular situation.

1 Like

I don’t see the point in fighting low level pets. For such battles, the character receives too little experience. The main experience can be obtained by completing quests for battle pets (as example: Dalaran local quests). Some battles can be repeated. But this option is very boring.
I prefer characters leveling by Dalaran pet battles and PVP pet battles. As an exception, I tame pets in new locations where the combat level is at least 23. The downside of this approach is that not all locations can be penetrated by a character below the maximum level.
In turn, I will add a few more tips.

1. For taming pets, Terrible Turnip is great with her Weakening Blow ability. It cannot reduce the opponent’s health below 1 hit point. There are other pets with a similar ability, but I don’t remember their names. This pet can be bought at the auction already at level 25.
  2. The Rematch addon is great for composing and remembering commands. In conjunction with the previously mentioned guide, it will save time on installing commands. In this addon, you can set up a queue for pets leveling and much more.

In conclusion, I want to say: Taming pets by low-level teams is only justified if you enjoy the process of combat itself. From the point of view of the time spent on gaining experience by the character, this is unjustified.

Everything that I wrote should be taken as an addition to what was written by Gráinne.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.