Liquid Detail Ultra ZulDrak Mauls GPU

For some reason in Zul Drak, my GPU is working overtime with Liquid Detail set to Ultra-- which really is hard to understand as there’s not really all that much visible water around.

Nvidia 980 ti.
i5 3570k.
4k screen set to 50% resolution (1920x1080).

Max settings pretty much otherwise.

Can you post a screenshot of the place that causes it? Is there any fog or other transparency effects around?

Hey Siyressia,

Ultra settings will require much from your hardware, there is working correctly. I’d suggest lowering the settings if you notice performance issues.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

There’s a reason why I singled out Zul Drak. There is also a reason why I singled out Liquid Detail and not other settings such as SSAO (which indeed is hugely more demanding as a general rule in this game).

Not only is it unusually intensive compared with other settings, but there is a disparity in that it doesn’t happen in other zones I’ve noticed-- notably regions like Boralus which have A LOT of water and indeed massively more demanding geometry et all.

Like I said, this is not a general problem - it is an isolated one and unique to this zone. Normally I run with water at Ultra, and like I said, even in areas with a lot of water it doesn’t effect performance anything like it does in Zul’Drak.

Maybe I should’ve just reported it as a bug in game.

Can check it on my test system later today :wink:

Been there. It seems to be less “efficent” zone. On Vega 64 there is some coil whine so something is clocked at likely some higher frequencies than usual. With GTX 1050Ti and 950 the performance there is highly dependant on that water setting. When I went with GTX 950 at 3440x1440 mode 4 then I had like above 100 FPS on fair liquid, 60 FPS on good liquid and up 40 on ultra liquid. And that’s with other things set via mode 4. There is a lot of water out there, maybe there is some bug when to much is trying to render or something.

But there really isn’t a lot of water in Zul’Drak.

There are shallow pools spread quite often around the zone. Plus liquid alike effects on some other things on the ground. Post some screenshots/exact locations that are most problematic.