Looking for new gaming laptop

Looking for a new gaming laptop for “work” :smiley: purposes :wink:

Been looking at SCAN uk as have used them before and they have really good finance options / support etc. Not sure what lvl cpu/gpu is guna be required though for laptops as not used them in years. Normally on my fully upgraded 2012 PC that’s still going strong.

Was looking at an ASUS Hero/Scar 3 but the price of £2k and people saying they overheat is making me think twice. Found a cheap asus tuf for £750 but lacks storage, only a 15" screen not a 17" and only 8gb Ram. Guess im looking for something in between.

Min Specs I am looking for I guess.

16GB RAM, 15" screen pref 17" though, 512-1TB SSD pref backup drive but meh, rest is flexible I guess. Not sure on min for CPU/GPU.

Just aiming for maybe high settings in wow on heavy usage and maybe some other games.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, cheers.

If you’re looking to spend close to but under £1000 on a gaming machine - esp. if you’re looking at 17" screens - I’d get a PC… unless you really, 100%, categorically have to have a portable unit.
Laptops are heat generators, esp. with current levels of tech.; no way round it.
17" laptops aren’t gonna be cheap & are harder to come by 'cos that isn’t what the laptop market wants.

If the fear of building a machine yourself scares you sh*tless, there are untold build-it-yerself guides on YouTube that will show you that even first-time builders can get it done in an hour… two, tops.

TL; DR… avoid a laptop for gaming unless you have a VERY pressing use-case for that to be your main/only machine.

As mentioned I already have a self built PC and looking into getting a laptop for mobile use.

Scan AFAIK is also a clevo reseller so they should have those laptops you can configure extensively (you can google for EU Clevo resellers)

As for components:

• CPU: Intel i7/i9: 6-core+; There will be some 8-core AMD parts revealed at CES (?) which likely will take a moment to get into laptops (can you wait till end of January?).
  • GPU: Here you will have most of your funds and performance hidden:
    • GTX 1060 / 1660: good 1080p
    • GTX 1070 / GTX 1660 Ti / RTX 2060: tier higher, also 1440p but not groundbreaking
    • RTX 2070: Last thing that can be in a mobile laptop (more premium price for more mobile ones)
    • Max-Q variants: Lower clocked card performing between non-max-q and cards tier before it. Better thermals/fan noise but more premium price.
    • RTX 2080 / GTX 1080 / 1080 Ti: DTR, big and heavy, lots of I/O, best performance.

Thanks, I am seeing so many people saying heat / fan noise issues under heavy loads like gaming are the worst issues.

I have MSI GS43VR 7RE OMG which is a nice 14" laptop, but let Nvidia max out settings and the fan noise will get super audible. For long gaming sessions an additional cooling would be advised in such cases.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.