Warmode off

I was mistakenly under the impression that when I had warmode off I could do world quests in peace no worries. Apparantly I missed the memo saying warmode is like 98% safe rng. Just got my !@# handed to me doing Kul Tiras wq by a demon hunter.
What did I do wrong and how do I play correctly in the future? Tell me please, Im open to learning.
14/11/2018 22:59Posted by Wamus
What did I do wrong and how do I play correctly in the future? Tell me please, Im open to learning.

If you are positive you turned Warmode off, then the only thing(s) that can flag you for PvP is either you type /pvp (or right click and select it) or you mistakenly went too close to an enemy faction base that spawned guards that are able to flag you for PvP automatically.

Always check the little tooltip when you hoover over a mob, and if it's indicative "PvP" then this will flag you if you go near that mob.

Mind you, it's very easy to do and not notice the sound that you're flagged for PvP, so easy mistake! :)
1 Like
Im in the mood to chop heads off but cant since you the politest monk eu.
Any chance my "easy mistake" would flag only that single dh and not the other 5-6 allys doing same wq?
15/11/2018 01:16Posted by Wamus
Any chance my "easy mistake" would flag only that single dh and not the other 5-6 allys doing same wq?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here so I'll try to the point.

I'll clarify a little but more precise:

You can only get flagged for world PvP in the following situations:

1) You turn on Warmode in your capital city. This is the new "PvP server" mechanic. Everyone you meet after turning this setting on outside your faction's main city (Stormwind or Orgrimmar) will be flagged for PvP (enemies and friendly players).

2) You activate PvP manually (this is outside of warmode) by typing /pvp or right click your character portrait and selecting "Enable" under Player VS Player. As I said, this is outside of Warmode, so not everyone you meet will have PvP on and most will probably have it off. It's an optional PvP mode, unlike when you opt into Warmode everyone is flagged.

This is the likely scenario in your case, if I understand it correctly.

3) You get flagged by an NPC PvP guard from the opposite faction or enter into some PvP only area (most of these give you time to leave before you get flagged, and I don't believe there are any as of yet in BfA). When this happens you stay flagged for 5 minutes, or if you are in PvP combat you will still flagged indefinitely until you leave combat. Also when this happens, players from the enemy faction can use /PvP to turn on PvP to attack you.
Tymaar has explained it and, as said, the most likely one is the third. It's happened to me a lot more in BFA than before ... partly, probably, because I don't know where all the other faction's bases are and partly because the guards seem quite hidden. I just go and hide somewhere for 5 minutes until it goes.