Lore Tidbit Thread 7

To be honest, the Blood Elves never really seem to field any armies. They usually are pitted against the High Elves and both are presented as often small, more elite groups.

2 Likes

The exact quote is “one in ten of us” by Halduron, but this was only a few weeks after the attack.

It seems perfectly reasonable that the figures would be off, especially considering a great many slain had to be abandoned in the Dead Scar. Due to the remaining undead left on murderous auto-pilot, the dead but not risen elves could not be retrieved, and would be left to rot in obscurity. Sylvanas suspects a great many names would ultimately be lost to time because of this, their ultimate fate unknown.

You would also get a wildly different figure depending on if you count only the elves who died during the Scourge’s invasion or if you include the number of elves who died as a result of the Sunwell’s corruption and subsequent destruction.

The more I read about Nathanos running around Quel’thalas the more confused I get.

“Nathanos was trained by Sylvanas Windrunner herself to become a ranger, much against the upper echelon of Silvermoon’s wishes” tells a better story than whatever is trying to be so agonizingly detailed in the novel. Just because the writers have access to Wowpedia they don’t need characters to read paragraphs of ancient lore perfectly transcribed. Like, when Gandalf talks about his resurrection in The Two Towers he still keeps it vague even though he could probably go into excruciating details about the Valar and Aman and what wheels keep the world spinning. Nathanos vomiting facts from a textbook is just the most bizarre thing, because it’s Nathanos and not some ancient Dalaran wizard or scholar, and I can’t stop thinking about it. It’s up there with Kalec seducing Jaina by telling her magic is math or Tyrande saying “Objection your honor” during Garrosh’s trial.

I always feel that the more these writers try to posthumously characterize the Warcraft cast the more inhuman they seem.

4 Likes

It’s become more bizarre every time it happens, but I’ve noticed a trend lately that the WoW writers for both books and the game itself all basically have their characters behave like the stereotypical “bad roleplayer”.

Like, the kind of people who literally have wowpedia up in their background when rping and claims their characters knows everything are normally laughed at.

4 Likes

I suppose this means those BadRPers were the people who truly knew how to RP in the Warcraft setting, and we were, in fact, the badRPers :pensive:

3 Likes

And thus I reach the Shadowlands-related portion of lore tidbits. Be advised that most of what follows is coming from the Jailer and may be unreliable. Come to think of it, everything is narrated by Sylvanas, so bear that in mind as well.

Zovaal freely admitted to having tried to use the runes on Frostmourne, and the Helm of Domination, as tools toward his own ends. He was also quick to mention that he did not forge either, and was himself a victim of his brother’s Domination.

He used third party allies (Nathrezim I suppose) to at first give them to the Burning Legion, convincing them it was a weapon they could wield.

It doesn’t say how the Tools of Domination found its way to Ner’zhul, so I assume the old lore between him and Kil’jaeden remains?

Zovaal claims that Frostmourne held greater potential than was ever explored, because Arthas did not care for the Jailer’s agenda and instead pursued his own quest for power.

Through Frostmourne, Zovaal became aware of Sylvanas and who she was. (Implying everyone slain by the runeblade could be scrutinized by the Jailer, it seems.)

This 100%, the Blood Elves have - in the grand scale of things - largely sent token forces to help the Horde and only moved when strongarmed (Shadow of the Sun) or Silvermoon/blood elves could come to harm (Mists).

Between TBC and Cata you only really see the odd blood elf here and there. Aiding the Horde or being anywhere other than QT or Outland (Mehlar, the guy in Stonard, Pyreanor, Azshara mage dude etc). Cataclysm brought in the Reliquary but even then their goals were largely blood elf centric.

It wasn’t until -after- mists (8.2) specifically that you begin to notice the elves pick up their involvement. You have Isle of Thunder, Siege of Orgrimmar, Draenor, the Nightborne etc.

1 Like

And it’s mostly Blood Knights who are the “backbone of their army”.

Blood Knights are not a rank and file order of troops. Per the old class quests which Aerilen forced me to read in 2014 or he’d kick me out of his guild, when the order was created, only a certain amount of insignias were made and every new knight has to claim the insignia of a previous knight, taking their seat in the order.

You must also earn the right to wear our order’s insignia. When the order was founded, a set number were forged and distributed, so each new adept inherits <his/hers> from a veteran. Your insignia will come from a fallen knight who bravely led an assault on Deatholme.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_Path_of_the_Adept

2 Likes

To tidy this up, it’s the insignia Initiates earn on their trials of being an Adept and they’re implied to carry a legacy.

https://i.gyazo.com/7681e8e44e4ae73987c9689823a0922d.png

“The insignia you will wear as an adept was last carried by a brave and fearless Blood Knight from the Dawnstar family. His exemplary service is a good omen for your own life in the order."

2 Likes

Mal’ganis tells Sylvanas that unlike her, the Nathrezim are not mortal creatures, but beings of magic. Magic can be altered given effort and patience, which is how he explains the common misconception that his kind were ever simply demons.

Sylvanas held a speech after the failed reunion in Arathi, spinning events so as to be in her favour. Dissidents were quietly identified, and ultimately fed to the Maw. At that point she considered them only soldiers to die for her cause, albeit unknowingly so. She held some genuine appreciation for the Loyalists, despite her actions becoming increasingly dark.

She had considered recruiting Saurfang for the cause for years, but a single conversation before the War of Thorns changed her mind. I’ll transcribe the exchange later (if someone else doesn’t beat me to it.)

The Maw is supposedly no longer a destination for any souls, as none are deemed truly beyond redemption. (I guess Revendreth is now the final stop in that regard.)

Sylvanas’ penance in the Maw does not stop at liberating the souls she put there, but literally every soul in that seemingly endless realm.

The true hell is now the waiting line for sin processing but truly, it’s the venthyr bureaucrats and clerks that suffer the most.

2 Likes

It’s weird because I know this is text but all my brain sees is this gif except with Steve Danuser’s head.

I’ll stop semi-derailing this thread now, please keep updating us with tidbits from this Libram of Lore Decay. It’s honestly fascinating for all the wrong reasons.

3 Likes
Summary

“Were you noticed?” Sylvanas asked as Saurfang entered the hold.

“Of course,” he replied. “The spies are getting bolder.”

“Let them feel bold while they may,” Sylvanas said. Saurfang headed toward the table at the center of the war room. Sylvanas followed him.

“Before we begin,” she said, “something has been on my mind.”

He grunted, indicating she should continue.

“I find it odd that, as we two plan and strategize about a war to end all wars, you have never mentioned my recent actions which might well have started a war much, much sooner.”

Saurfang sighed, turning from the table to regard her evenly. “You speak of the Gathering.”

“Ah, you stand on courtesy. Some are calling it the Slaughter.” No one was, actually. No one had dared. But she wanted to see the warrior’s reaction.

“It concerned your people, took place near your lands, and, in the end, did not result in a war. There was no reason to mention it.”

“I killed my own citizens. Doesn’t that trouble you?”

“You had your reasons,” he said. “Most were actively defecting.”

“But others were not,” she said. “Was that…honorable?”

“Warchief,” he said. “The day passes. We should get to—”

She shook her head. “No. I have asked my high overlord for his opinion, and I shall have it.”

He rumbled, soft and low, and there was an edge to his voice when he spoke. “It is over, Warchief. It does not matter what I think.”

Sylvanas was on high alert now, moving slowly, gracefully, toward him. “Oh, but it does. Answer me.”

“Since you have so ordered,” Saurfang said. “It is appropriate to kill traitors, if that is the warchief’s decision. I doubt that a former historian and some mercenaries hired to guard farm wagons posed much of a threat to Horde intelligence, but they should not have fled the field.”

“Even if they wanted to be with their families?” Sylvanas did not care one way or another if Saurfang thought her “honorable.” There was a tacit agreement that they were long past that—and that the unspoken acceptance on Saurfang’s part did not sit well with him. Sylvanas was probing him in an effort to discover where he drew the line between honorable and dishonorable—and where he stood with regard to reunions with loved ones.

“Even then,” Saurfang said. “Loyalty to you, to the Forsaken, the Horde…” He shook his head, the two white braids on either side of his head swinging slightly with the motion. “One cannot avoid making painful choices, if one lives long enough. They made theirs and paid for it.”

“But not those who were returning,” she pressed.

“You cannot execute people for what you think they will do, Warchief.”

She didn’t answer. Saurfang, his thoughts elsewhere for the moment, continued. “As for family…Dranosh died a warrior’s death. He was not responsible for the evil things he did. The Lich King took his will. My son had no choice.”

“Have you noticed how much of our history revolves around choices—and the lack thereof?” Sylvanas said. Her voice was soft, soothing, inviting conversation. “Fighting for free will…and being denied. Making choices and dying for them—dying even if you did not make the choice, or chose something different. There are times when it seems so terribly unfair. Unjust. Innocents die, while their murderers flourish. If you could change something, Varok—bring your son back, whole and healthy, or even remake existence—would you?”

Saurfang stared at the table. His gaze traveled to Stormwind, to Orgrimmar, to Darnassus. And to Northrend, where it lingered. Where his son had fallen and been turned by the Lich King.

“No one should have that power,” Saurfang said. “Even if they wished to use it for good causes…who am I, who is anyone, to determine what is best, or right, or wrong? I cannot see all ends, nor can you, Sylvanas.” He looked at her then, with his small, dark eyes. His lips curved around his tusks in a bitter chuckle. “Do not worry. I am not engaging in a secret coup, if that is what you are trying to get from me.”

So, she hadn’t quite deceived him. He’d figured out something was behind this conversation—though he could not possibly guess at the truth. Fair enough.

Sylvanas smiled self-deprecatingly. “I fear I was being too obvious. Thank you for answering my questions. It is only that so much is at stake now, I must be absolutely certain I can trust those with whom I share my secrets.”

“The goal is a worthy one, Warchief.”

Ah, Saurfang, you have no idea.

About time

1 Like

Thanks!

I won’t be adding more at this time. I tried to stick to tidbits I thought might be of general interest rather than summarize the entire novel, and most of the later chapters are themselves Sylvanas’ POV of events.

Aside from that insight into her psychology, not much lore is added at that point.

Surely this will not bite us in the :peach: later

It’s not specified what the terms were, but both Thrall and Lor’themar had agreed on terms they had imposed on one another that the blood elves joinin the Horde was contingent on. But we don’t find out what the terms were because Sylvanas tuned out, overwhelmed by memories, and the scene is written from her (dsitracted) POV.

Also Lord Saltheril, the party guy from Eversong, was known for his lavish parties. Anyone who was anything was always attending his grandiose parties.

But after the Scourge, he no longer partied out of hedonism. He partied and drank to forget the Scourge and hold on to what was left of his sanity. The drink kept the despair away.

“Lord Saltheril,” she said, suddenly. Lor’themar stopped mid-chew and looked at her sharply.
“What about him?” Halduron asked.
“Did he survive?”
“He did,” Lor’themar said. “Not even Arthas Menethil could halt his parties for long. He still holds forth, pouring—and drinking—Suntouched with reckless abandon. I wonder if that is his way of clinging to sanity—or, perhaps, avoiding it.”

Thanks I hate it.

Same with how we still don’t know how, why or when exactly the night elves joined the Alliance…

Yeah I always felt the Nelves were culturally way more suited to being a Horde race, especially given their relationship with Tauren through druidism/wild gods/nature all that stuff, and then of course where they are based aswell, would make sense for them to try and ally/get on with their neighbors, ofc certain actions likely will make it impossible for the Nelves to ever join the Horde, the whole Grom killing Cenarius thing probably didnt help and then ofc his son chewing up their woodlands for his war machines.

They were originally intended to be Horde as far back as Warcraft 3; the original idea was to flip the morality of the Horde and the Alliance and make the Alliance villains. There’s old magazine snippets about how there were once tauren on the EK but they were hunted out by the human kingdoms. Night Elves were originally meant to be an opposing force to the High Elves but it all got changed. I think the Arthas narrative is probably better than whatever was originally intended.

1 Like