Low fps on decent pc

Any1 have any ideas whats going on my with wow ingame fps?

My hardware is this:
cpu: ryzen 9 3900x
ram: DDR4 3600mhz 2x16
gpu: Asus GeForce DUAL-RTX3070-O8G-V2

No matter if im running high or low graphics / addons or no addons im hard stuck at 35-50 fps in raid/aoe content… Its frustrating that i cant find any fixes for this.

The Ryzen 3900X is what’s holding your FPS way back.
It’s actually a pretty bad CPU for WoW since it’s IPC is low compared to Intel or current gen Ryzen.

Just so you can get a better understanding, WoW’s old engine is very much singlethreaded in raids etc.

This is confirmed here:

I happen to have raided with a 3900X for 3 years before i upgraded to an 5800X3D for DF release and i can tell you that my FPS have literally doubled.

If you can spend the 300€ for the 5800X3D than you will have a good time for the next few expansions and it also is the best possible upgrade on your AM4 platform you can get.
You can check if there is a BIOS update for your board but even the cheap ones do support the 5800X3D.
Your cooler should be fine since it can cool the 3900X :smiley:

I wouldn’t say it’s 3900X fault directly. I would blame DF weird performance degradation in the first place.

Also RAM timings, config, play a big role on Ryzen performance.

I think im gonna be Vortex pinnacle enjoyer… +160 constant fps there. Valdrakken 60ish.

Well i would say so since AMD was never really great for an engine like WoW.
Actually any game that doesn’t multithread well does not run great on an older Ryzen.

Even a 5600 isn’t that good in this case. AMD starts to equal Intel with the 7000 series and the X3D ofc which surpass Intel even a little bit.

Nah Shadowlands was already bad with the 3900X… around 30 FPS in a HC or mythic raid and drops to single digits with the motes affix at Sylvanas mythic at the end of the tier :slight_smile:

3600Mhz RAM is fine. I was running 3200Mhz with CL14, so on par or better even.

You don’t have 160 FPS on a trash pull though :slight_smile:

That’s a clear game problem. Simple game with simple graphics while current hardware having problems. This isn’t an AAA game from 2077.

It is but you can be surprised how pre-builds often are using single channel or JEDEC RAM. Or people installing new shiny RAM but not selecting an XMP profile in the BIOS. That’s like 20%+ FPS down the drain.

Not really true

https://rk.edu.pl/en/ryzen-5-3500x-versus-i5-9400f-world-warcraft/

Ryzen 3500X and 9400F have similar single core performance and thus score similarly in single core limited scenarions in WoW (like combat). Lower latencies within Intel CPU didn’t do much in this case.

And when the game isn’t bugged with performance regressions you can even freely play it on an old iGPU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5r7xpnX2tk

It’s not players responsiblity to have some 2023 god tier PC to run a freaking raid or dungeon or look at semitransparent effects without dropping 80% of their average FPS.

Yes but we all know this isn’t gonna change, maybe ever.
Only a complete engine overhaul or a new engine could improve this.
Even then not 100% because not everything can be multithreaded in an MMO.

So i guess we are stuck with this.

Rather fixing things. Like in SL when the semi-transparent bug showed up they fixed it somewhat in open world / Bastion but Spires of Ascension dungeon was left with the problem and many had big performance drops there - they said they can’t fix it… Then the last raid dropped with even more problems to some.

The game doesn’t have any testing or benchmarking modes. Each raid drops on PTR but there is no dedicated way to test it hardware performance. With how the whole company is run right now I doub the engineers get a green light for this sadly.

And if the test mode detected thermal throttling, SSDs at their limits and similar issues then the technical support forums would have a lot less posts :smiley:

But hey they added VRR… which has absolutely no benefit at all.
I tested it after the patch and except making image quality worse, i had like 1 FPS more if at all (GPU limited scenario ofc).
So whats the point in putting ressources into something like that? How about adding DLSS instead?

They have native Windows on Arm version as well where majority of Qualcomm SoCs have horrid iGPU still.

Apple silicon and WoA support came quickly after Apple silicon launch so they had to work on it beforehand in some capacity. On US forums some people more into Apple hardware say their support for it dropped a lot during SL so they probably had some sort of a contractor or they don’t regularly test and monitor secondary archs.

They do cooperate with vendors like AMD so it’s possible some features are just sponsored and developed by a vendor so the vendor can make a pretty marketing slide/image.

WoW used to be a Nvidia sponsored game with all the features… guess they switched to AMD.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.