Low FPS with 2080Ti

As title says, I am getting very low FPS (15-20) in BGs and Raids. I have i7 6850k CPU, RTX2080Ti, m2 SSD, 64GB RAM.

I have addons installed and I will not try without them because my system is more than enough to handle a game with addons.

Reformatting my O/S didn’t help either. I have Windows 10 Enterprise.

My other games like Control, Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars 2 are working fine.

https://imgur.com/Lxt8FNH

For that 15-20 FPS is a lot… it’s not a game that can handle mass player interaction that well. However on an average raid it should be higher.

• Run latencymon, then run the game and when the FPS are low alt-tab to see what’s latencymon is showing. Sometimes the drivers may get in conflict and it will show such problems and likely drivers that are in conflict (like nvidia and audio drivers)
  • Double-check without addons - sometimes an addon or a combo will dump a load of LUA errors in some conditions which can tank performance.
2 Likes

Some addons will drop your FPS alot with many players and NPCs on screen.
Like the nameplate auras with all the buffs etc, try without it in a zerg and compare the FPS.
You should also replace your skada with Details! dmgmeters, it has much more functions and also uses less ressources than any other dmgmeter.

Anyways, no matter what you do, you will never get 60+ FPS in a 40vs40 bg in a zerg.

Removing addons isn’t a case of the PC not being able to handle them, its a case of eliminating conflicts between addons. Not all addons work well together, and conflicts can cause significant problems resulting in FPS drops.

But you’re a total PC “expert”, that doesn’t need to do basic troubleshooting steps because your setup is so imbaa, that conflicts and errors are impossibru.

Have fun out there.

1 Like

What kind of conflicts? My PC can run all other games with mods without any issues. I am talking about 4k textures, lots of UI addons, etc. If WoW can’t handle them, then it is WoW problem.

And yes, I am a ‘PC expert’ and I don’t need to do basic troubleshooting. Because I assume you think I didn’t reinstall my drivers, didn’t update my Windows, didn’t reinstall my Windows even.

Sorry but I have RTX 2080Ti, m2 SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), 64GB RAM and i7 6850K CPU and I expect all games to run smoothly. Apart from WoW, every other game work without issues. I am playing all games with max settings, ray tracing activated and I have literally zero issues. And if you say WoW can’t handle 40x40 or even normal raids with my setup, sorry but WoW is at fault here, not my setup.

1 Like

its your 6850k thats very old and its single threaded ipc is pretty low compared to even the ryzen 3600 so your only chance of gaining more fps is to overclock it.

It is already working at 4ghz. What more does this old game want? Newer games have no issues.

newer games use more than 2 threads, wow does all of its heavy lifting on 2 cores so its extremely cpu intensive. and a cpu from 2016 is not helping you at all.

for example i have a 9900k at 5ghz and a 2080 ti and even my fps tanks in places because of how poorly optimized wow is for multi core systems

WoW uses 4 cores with minimal scaling to 6 already in BfA. If you add addons and other apps you will need 6 or more cores for optimal performance. The game will have one “main” core with higher load with draw calls and some other stuff distributes across those mentioned additional cores (in DX12 mode).

Do you want a solution or do you want to brag about your hardware? What if it wasn’t a problem of WoW but a problem with third party app called “a WoW addon”?

Why do I have the feeling you used Nvidia Geforce Experience to ‘Optimize’ your game and your scaling is set to 160% (or higher) in the graphics settings? – Scaling persists through Raid & Battleground settings.

This is not a modern triple-A title.

Here’s your fix. All GPU settings down to 0, except texture quality, distance sliders, keep those at 7. Set AA to x2 or x4(depending on reso), Texture filtering x8 or x16, almost no dissernable difference.
Graphics API on DX12 preferably. Spell effects high or ultra and all the rest can be at low. Maybe up the shadows if it bothers you too much, but this setting is a big cost-maker.

If that doesn’t help. Addons. Addons, addons and addons. And you’re unwilling so, RIP.

Scaling to 100%.

Your machine is better than mine and I’m getting like 100fps in Boralus during peak hours with lots of players around. 90-120.

Your hardware is not that special.
I9-9900K, 2x 500GB Samsung 970 Pro in Mirror Raid, 64GB PC3200 RAM, 4TB spinning rust drive, 10GBit LAN, granted you beat me on the GPU, as I only have an RX580, but as I only play WoW, thats more than enough for my needs. But this isn’t about hardware boasting.

All of this doesn’t alter the fact that it could be an addon thats causing the problems. The fact that you can’t accept that, tells me that you are not expert in any way.

I have i9-9900k, MSI RTX 2080TI, 32GB PC3200 RAM, 2x Samsung SSD 970 M.2 1TB drives.

… and the game still lags out if I have two conflicting addons. For example Pretty Reps and Rephelper both have options I like to have but which they don’t have both. When I kill like 10-20 mobs in a Legacy dungeon the game starts lagging out because I gain Reputation and it’s printed in chat.

Oh dear mother of god,so much going on in this thread for no reason.Wow is badly optimized and literally doesnt matter if u have 2080ti you will run the samw as someone with 1060 simple as that.Its wow not ur pc

4 Likes

Indeed. By default WoW will warn the user if there are outright errors in the addon, least if they happen often enough but of course addons or settings can probably hide that. Obviously that only detects outright syntax errors and not something more weird. But I am sure the OP has verified that none of the addons he uses contains any bugs or incompatibilies with the other addons active since he ruled those out.

To mirror what some of the others here have already mentioned, one of the first things to check when having performance issues in World of Warcraft is indeed addons.

From your screenshot, the amount of addons you’ve got active, all of them trying to pull in all that data and then get it on your screen, in a battleground like Southshore, that’s going to have an impact.

It’s why it’s one of the first things we advice for FPS issues

Graphics drivers and OS updates, other running software and then which version of DirectX you have selected would be the next steps to go through.

If all it takes is adjusting what addons you’ve got running to get your FPS back to where you’d like it though surely that’s an easy step to take compared to reformatting your OS.

then it handles it very poorly if a 5Ghz 9900K cant maintain 99% GPU load. WoW is the only game my system struggles with. i mean i get a higher consistent framerate in metro exodus with ray tracing turned on then wow gives me.

WoW will rarely give you high GPU load as the game is more often limited by the CPU or by the internals of a MMORPG. Plus you should have the FPS capped at display refresh rate so that saves even more resources.

what resources exactly? paid over 2.4K for my system so might as well use it properly. i got 240Hz monitor anyway and the game never even comes close to that. its not an mmorpg thing its a devs are using an engine nearly 20 years old with things added on top thing.

It’s not an old engine, especially with VRS and optional DXR coming in Shadowlands. This isn’t a simple game that is hold back only by local hardware.