Lunaera's tale

Lunaera asked for a little story so I happily obliged. Unfortunately, the full version cannot be told here, you will need to ask Luna on Discord for it.

Enjoy!

Lunaera’s fan fiction.

Synopsis.

Lunaera, famed Nightborne warrior has returned to Suramar City after a campaign in the Eastern Kingdoms. Looking forward to returning to her
master trainer in her old military camp, she brings tales of renown and glory. But still, she feels she has much to learn from her old master,
as her skills were put to the test more than once, and not to her liking. Unbeknown to her, the Death Knight Souldefiler and her Hands Belios and Devarra are visiting Suramar under the personal invitation and protection of the First Arcanist, in recognition of Souldefiler’s help in liberating the Nightborne from the Legion. Unknown to all, Souldefiler is seeking skilled warriors of all schools to test their Devotion. She has heard tales of Lunaera, and wishes to test her personally.

(These events take place soon after the Corruption of the Five.)

Night fell over Suramar as Lunaera rode into her homeland across the border from Aszuna. her companion, the mage Arlya swept her own hair across her back.
“It is getting late Luna, we should hurry. The gates will soon be barred to all visitors until morning, and I have no wish to lie on a cold rock.” Lunaera nodded and smiled inwardly,
hoping her eyes would not catch Arlya’s. “Yes, we should hurry. I so dearly want to see my old teacher again. I hear he is not long for this world. Not long at all…” her voice dropped and she paused.
“Luna?” asked Aryla, wheeling her horse round and riding across from her. “What is wrong? Your old master is very old. His time will be near.” Luna looked up with a tear in her eye.
“I know, but there is something else. I need his guidance on… other, matters. Of my heart.”
Arlya turned her horse around and turned her head to Luna. “Please. Not now. This is not the time.” She rode off into the gloom. Luna watched her until she disappeared, and the tears came freely.
Bitter water caressed her lips and the lump in her throat grew. “Arlya…” she whispered, and shook the reins of her horse to follow.

They came to the gates and were hailed by the Watch. “Stop! State your names and purpose” barked a guard as they drew nearer. “Lunaera and Arlya, we return from the Kingdoms to report and to rest” said Lunaera, as she leaped from her mount.
The guards raised their spears and stood guard as Lunaera strode past them. Arlya dismounted and watched with concern as Lunaera seemed to be heedless of the guard as they recognised and saluted her. “Luna…” she said trying to catch her attention.
“Luna!” she cried louder, and Lunaera halted. Alya came round to face her. “Luna” she whispered, looking into her eyes. “Luna, don’t hate me. I just can’t right now. I…” She dropped her head and took hold of Lunaera’s hands.

“Please. Give me time to think of what we said to each other on the ship.”
Lunaera eyes dropped slightly and a soft smile crept over her lips. “I could never hate you. You know that.” as she gripped Arlya’s hands tighter. "Come see me at my home when you are rested.

We will talk then." Releasing her hold, Arlya smiled and backed away before turning. “I will see you in the morning.”

Lunaera watched her walk into the bright lights of the city before making her own way to her house.

Sitting at the table in the inn with her two Hands Souldefiler, Belios and Devarra watched as the porter brought them their food and drink. “Is everything to your satisfaction ladies?” he asked, smiling down at them. Belios turned slowly with one arm on the backrest.

“Yes. Everything is adequate. You may go.” She turned to her meal. Devarra motioned with her knife at the porter who was still standing watching them. Belios turned again and her voice grew hot. “I said, that. Will. Be. All.” and turned again. Still the porter remained.

Devarra looked over to Souldefiler who was simply watching with amusement. “I think he likes you Belios” she said as the porter stood awkwardly. Belios sighed and turned to face the porter again. “What do you want” she asked.
The porter blushed and stammered. “I… I… This is the first time I have seen… Alliance… In my city.”

Souldefiler laughed and asked “And does our presence bother you? We saved hundreds if not thousands of you from a fate of munching on these forever…” and threw a handful of chipped mana crystals on the table. The porter’s eyes widened as he looked at them. “I see the Nightborne have not fully cast
off the chains of crystal addiction.” said Souldefiler as the porter backed away into a table scattering drinks all over the lap of a Nightborne. “Interesting.” she said, looking at the occupants over the rim of her mug.
“Should have left them.” said Devarra. “The bastards joined the Horde anyway”

Souldefiler chuckled. “That was Tyrande’s fault. Shouldn’t have been a stuck up little princess, Still. She had no chance as soon as the purple eyed harlot laid eyes on the Blood Elf. But enough of these junkies. I am here to find a Lunaera.
She will make an excellent Devoted. Belios, see if you can find her lodgings or her dwelling. Devarra. Ask around for her, perhaps we will meet her somewhere.”
“Mistress” answered both and nodded. “I personally will test the mettle of our hosts in their arena. It has been so long since I had a good fight. And maybe we will find some worthy champions.
Now I am tired, and I need to rest and gather my strength.” She rose and her two Hands rose after her. Following Souldefiler up the stairs, they waited until she had gone into the room and stood guard outside.

Souldefiler and her two Hands arrived at the arena to be met by the Master. He bowed as she approached. “You are here Death knight. You do not bow to show respect?”
Souldefiler stood crossing her arms. “No. I am here simply to fight and test your best warriors. I have no need for pathetic ritual”
The master stood impassive as the other challengers stood and stared from their practice. One came forward. “You lack respect human. I should kill you now!” he shouted and reached for a halberd.
“Stop!” cried the Master. You will have your chance to show this insolent wretch the folly of her words." He turned his back to Souldefiler and climbed the stairs to the arena. “I expect no blood to be spilled until the tournament starts.”
The fighters all stood glowering and staring at Souldefiler and her two Hands, as she stood by with a nonchalant smile. “You heard him!” said Belios, as the three walked into the arena to a roaring crowd.
Lunaera walked into the training room and knelt across from her Master.
“Master, I answer your summon”
The Master looked at her and smiled.“Child, you are the ablest pupil I ever taught. I can teach you no more. I will pass soon. When I pass, you must teach in my place. Your skill with the blade is unmatched. And my pupil, I have one thing to ask.”
“Ask my Master” replied Lunaera. “I will do what I can.”
“Remove all thoughts from your mind when you face this human. She is undead. She will fight with the guile of the undead. She insulted our house. She will not fight with honour.” He rose. Lunaera rose also.

“Kill her. Never have I asked such a thing of you in these scared chambers. But she bears malice and threat unknown. You must end her.”
Lunaera nodded. “She is human. She will die by my hand.”

Alrya hurried to the arena and took her place. Watching eagerly for Lunaera to arrive, her mind awash with dreams of a future with her by Lunaera’s side.
Suddenly she was brought to reality by the roar of the crowd as a Human followed by another Human and a Night Elf entered the arena. The Human stopped and drew her weapons, two swords with jagged edges with skulls for hilts. Cold air suddenly filled the arena and a sense of dread filled the people.
The Night Elf removed the human’s cloak and folded it neatly before bowing and speaking in an unknown tongue yet somehow seemed familiar. The other human came in front of the human champion and knelt. The Night Elf did the same, then both got up and with what seemed immense overconfidence, strutted out of the arena.

The human stood in the center and surveyed the crowd. Then she spoke.
“Nightborne. I have come here to challenge your greatest warriors. I seek the best. I hope I will not be disappointed!”

As she finished those words there was a cry and a Nightborne warrior dashed from the edge with a heavy war maul. Charging to the human he swung his hammer and brought it crashing to her head. Souldefiler pivoted to one side and allowed the blow to pass. Losing his balance the warrior fell to the ground.
The crowd roared in approval as the warrior pulled out a blade and swung at the human. Again she pivoted bringing her own weapon to parry. A clash of steel and sparks flew. The warrior roared a challenge and charged at the death knight. Then suddenly he froze in mid-air as Souldefiler raised her hand. Then taking her other weapon, she brought it to the icy husk, shattering it into a maelstrom of blood, bone, and ice. The crowd fell silent.

“Are there any more?” shouted the Death Knight “Surely you can do better!”
Arlya felt for certain Souldefiler was talking directly to her. As she looked down her glance caught the forms of the human’s two companions as they took their seats. Glancing over quickly, they were indeed looking directly at her.
Now more than ever Arlya longed for the embrace of Lunaera. With luck, she would destroy this impudent human and her two companions with her.

Suddenly the crowd roared in tumultuous applause as Lunaera entered the arena.

Souldefiler sheathed her weapons and waited patiently for her foe.
Lunaera strode over and drove her blades into the ground.
“You have come here as a guest but have insulted us. You will die here today” as she grasped her weapons and took her stance.
“If you say so elven cur” said Souldefiler, as she drew her own weapons and took her stance. Arlya looked down nervously. Lunaera was a strong and capable fighter, but this was a Death Knight.
Lunaera roared and charged. Evading Souldefiler twisted and faced her foe as Lunaera stopped her charge to face her opponent. Again she charged, and again Souldefiler evaded, but this time keeping her back to Lunaera in a show of contempt.
“I can dance this dance all day Nightbore” said Souldefiler.
“I am a Nightborne!” screamed Lunaera.
“I prefer Nightbore” said Souldefiler, turning to face her.

Lunaera screamed and charged again, only this time holding her blade out as she passed, catching the Death Knight as Souldefiler turned to evade.
Grunting she dropped a Slayer and held her side. looking at Lunaera her eyes narrowed. “Never have I been touched in a duel.” she said coldly. “No more toying with you Nightborne. Once I am done with you I will raze to the ground your city and kill everyone you love”

Lunaera now had the chance to smile and mock “Oh you poor human. You cannot leave here. Even if you do defeat me, you will die here. Now allow me to speed you on your way!” she cried as she leaped in the air and brought her weapon crashing to bear on the Death knight.

Rolling to one side Souldefiler cast a spell that encased Lunaera’s feet in ice and brought her to the ground. “Release me you cowardly wretch!” she screamed, as Souldefiler strode towards her with a Slayer in each hand. “I think not!” yelled Souldefiler. “This ends now!”

Bringing a Slayer down Lunaera with all her strength dragged her body out of the blow as the ice shattered. Picking herself up onto one knee she parried the other blow from Souldefiler and the Slayer flew from her hand ringing.
Arlya jumped up screaming “Luna! Luna my love, end this! End it now!”
Lunaera looked up and smiled. “Yes it is time to end thi…” and she collapsed gasping for air.

Arlya jumped to her feet and with a cry of “No!” ran to the front of the crowd. Belios and Devarra followed amongst the throng.
“It. will not. be so easy…” gasped Souldefiler as she scrambled for her Slayer. “Already the disease I sent into your misbegotten body will overwhelm you. But let me speed it up with the aid of a friend!”

Chanting a spell from the ground there came a rumble. Lunaera winced and retched as the ground exploded and from the dirt rose a geist. Through its hood Lunaera heard a muffled hissing of “Mistress” as the geist scampered to retrieve its master’s weapon.

With all her might she threw her hand axe at the geist, and it screamed and dissolved into filth as the axe claimed its corpse. The crowd roared as Lunaera struggled to her feet and walked towards the kneeling Death Knight.
“Kill her!” screamed the crowd as Arlya watched with both horror and pleasure. Lunaera raised her weapon for the killing blow when suddenly a scream from the crowd made her pause and turn.

“Luna!” Save me!" screamed Arlya as she was held aloft by Devarra. “Stay where you are!” yelled Belios “or we kill this one where she stands.” Raising her voice so Lunaera could hear she shouted “And you care for this one do you not? Then stand aside and allow our Mistress to claim her weapon and fight you fairly!”
The crowd backed off as Devarra brought Arlya to the ground and held her in front of her. Belios stood nearby. “Mistress! Take your blades!”.

Souldefiler picked up her second weapon as Lunaera retched again. “The sickness spreads through you Nightborne.” laughed Souldefiler. “But it will suit my purpose to see how you fare with it lingering. To test your Devotion to strength!”
Lunaera gasping, raised her weapon again to resume their battle. Souldefiler charged, but Lunaera evaded and as Souldefiler passed, she struck the back of her head. Sprawling on the floor, Souldefiler turned. Lunaera drove her weapon at her, and Souldefiler rolled to avoid the blows. The crowd roared again, hoping to see the conclusion of their champion victorious. Souldefiler retreated closer to the wall.

Stabbing the ground Lunaera spat out words of challenge and hate as the sickness slowly overwhelmed her. “Stay still you crawling maggot and accept your fate.” Backing into the wall Souldefiler raised her hands in a show for mercy.
Lunaera paused and looked up at Arlya. “Release her!” she cried to Devarra. “Or I kill this wretch where she lies, begging for mercy”

Devarra released her grip. Arlya turned round and spat on her. Backing away Devarra and Belios looked to each other and with cries, jumped into the arena.
“Luna! Luna!! Look Out!” screamed Arlya. Luna turned round and saw Devarra and Belios hand in hand, side by side, walk towards her with their gaze fixed on her, murderous grins on their faces.

Turning to Souldefiler she screamed “You damned human I will kill you!” and raised her weapon.

Arlya rose and screamed in ecstasy “Kill her!”

And she was yanked from her spot by Souldefiler’s Death Grip.
As Lunaera’s blow fell, it fell onto Arlya who was pulled by Souldefiler into its path. As Luna looked on in horror, the face of Arlya seemed to forever look into her eyes before Arlya’s eyes closed.

As Souldefiler rolled out from under Arlya’s corpse, Lunaera found yet new vigour and rage with the death of her beloved. As Souldefiler crawled to her Hands, Lunaera turned and slowly stalked the Death Knight.

Then Belios suddenly cried “Stand with your beloved!” and slammed her into the wall where she fell beside the body of Arlya.

Suddenly Devarra took a blue stone and with a boom a blue Death Gate opened. From the gate a shrouded figure came to Souldefiler and brought her to her feet. With cries of rage, the crowd clambered over the arena walls into the arena with the goal of rending Souldefiler limb from limb.

Belios and Devarra slowly followed Souldefiler into the gate. Just as the first grasping hand reached Belios the death gate with another ear rending boom snapped shut.

The crowd fell silent as they formed a circle around Lunaera, who was bent over the body of Arlya, the tears flowing freely. looking up at the crowd, she had no words.

“Fear not,” said one soft male voice. “The time for vengeance will be near. And when it comes, I will aid you.”
Bending down, the shrouded figure extended a hand, and a ring glinted in the sun.

THE END

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.