M+ Idea: Infinite Gear to fight infinite scaling

Hi guys,
Im not the biggest M+ Player but im following the discussions around it with great interest. I have a mop remix inspired idea which could work in mythic+ im curious about your opinions on this.

I keep hearing that you reach the point at some M+ Level where you just get oneshot by mechanics. This keeps getting brought up as the reason why the mode can’t get scaled infinitely. But what if we had some source of infinitely scaling gear to combat this ? I was wondering if a system like the cloak from Mop Remix or Paragon Levels from Diablo 3 could work for Mythic plus. This would ofcourse need to reset at the end of a season or something. But i think it would be interesting if you could earn additional armor and health via such a system. I think a system like this could give you buffer health and therefore much needed time for healers to get you back up on your feet. The healers would still need to put out enough hps in order to survive the next damage spike. This way you wouldn’t get oneshot and you could start pulling slower if your healer can’t keep up with the damage output of the mobs.
I think it could also be a great tuning dial which doesn’t affect Raid Fights. (Or you just stick with magical Armor which increases in stamina and armor value to keep things simple.)

What do you think about this ? It could ofcourse feel like Artefact power and be terrible. But it could also be a cool long term motivation. And if this “paragon Level” was Account wide it could be a cool catch up mechanic to help you get your alts in to higher keys earlier.

The point being what?

The fact you eventually get one shot by something is the “tuning dial”. That and / or running out of time.

If you just scale people up infinitely you’re tuning the content down.

Then you get power creep, imagine the pug crowd demanding OP cloaks for trivial content locking the people out who should be there. in favour of those that farmed loads.

The point would be the following:
At some point you can’t progress because a fireball deals more damage than you have max hp. You can’t do anything about it (except interrupting) and you have to stop fighting.
If you had more hp you could survive the fireball. This works until the enemies dps is greater than the hps which can be provided by the entire group. But because you have buffer health you wouldn’t have to stop fighting. You could pull fewer enemies and therefore decrease enemy dps. You could also kill single problem enemies which out dps you by using your buffer health. (You would ofcourse need to recover after the battle which costs you time.) And you can ofcourse nuke the enemy before they can kill you.

Im not sure how much easier the content would get. Sure, you would be allowed to make more mistakes because of the buffer health. But you are still limited by your healers hps. If you take to much damage so that you need to sit down and eat/drink after each pull you would loose to much time and therefore fail the key.

Pug leaders, requiring leveled up cloaks would be a big problem tho. I agree on that one.

All this will do is push up everyones key levels. You would still reach a point where you couldnt time a key it would just be a higher number.
So if i can do a 10 now and the world best players can do a 20. In the new system i would do a 20 and they would do a 30.
Dont really understand the benefit of this, players would still level out at their skill level as a group so it just moves the goal posts.

So your solution to an infinately scaling system (made that way to provide challenge and difficulty) is to make people stronger so it gets easier?

:roll_eyes:

I dont agree with this idea.

Simply put, what it would create is a constant dificulty level. Mobs have 10% more HP and do 10% more damage, but so do you.

If that is what the community wants, the easiest way to implement that is to remove infinite scaling all together. Tune 1 single difficulty and that’s it.

That solution would also remove the issue of power creep… :slight_smile:

Also :

The point of the cloack is to be OP. To the point where you could solo raid bosses and 1-shot them.

Not a healthy gameplay IMO. Its fun in a seperate realm (MoP remix) for 3 months… but not retail.

Those also have a limit. In the sense that it takes exponentially more and more XP per level to increase it. So there is a “hard limit” to what difficulty you can do in Diablo 3.

So its the same as we have now in WoW.

No, because finding clever ways to stay alive is way more fun than just grinding a cloak to a certain threshold. It’d become grinding > skill instead of skill > grinding.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.