Mac issues - CRASHING, LAGGING AND STUTTERING AFTER 8.3

No changes at my end. Still freezing and crashing.

I dont think it would be a bad idea for everyone to start sending emails and fb messages to any sites we know that report on gaming news. Send then links to this thread and us thread and explain how blizzard are refusing requests for compensation for a bug that has made the game unplayable for nearly a month now as well as that it was known about in ptr and still pushed out. To make matters worse, theres now reports the crashes are causing permanent damage to the macs. I

4 Likes

The thing that saddens me most about this experience is the hate and anger people are directing at individuals that work for blizzard and the company itself. We all knew they do not prioritise mac before this happened, and I see people saying employees will or should go to hell or they are are thinking about suing? The genuine anger and frustration over not being able to play a f***king game is depressing. I took a week break and came back to find it had not been fixed, installed windows (even though this was quite tricky for me due to poor knowledge of computers) and am now playing fine, Iā€™ll delete windows and switch back when the fix is complete. If I couldnā€™t do this I would just play a different game until it is fixed like I did in the first week. If you cannot go a few days or few weeks without playing the game or you are literally forcing yourself to play through crashes then you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities in life. Itā€™s just a game. And Iā€™ve been playing for 10 years so donā€™t come at me with that ā€œIā€™ve been here since the beginning crapā€.

Your attempt at self flattery and attempting to inflate your own ego is laughable. Not one thing you said had a resolution nor anything useful. The funny thing is you have talked about re-evaluating priorities however you are taking your time to look and write in this forum too. If you like being ripped off then thatā€™s your prerogative, but donā€™t try and make anyone else feel like they are doing something wrong by wanting what they paid for. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve raised the issue on Wowhead several times, but crickets (other than the expected ā€˜lol, macusersā€™ responses).

This recent update seems to have fixed it. BUT. I feel it has something to do with the new graphics setting for particle effects ā€œDisabledā€. Feels like a temporary fix, at least something but I hope we donā€™t have to play without seeing a lot of particle effects (not great for m+/raiding) from here on.

Just popped by the Blight Boar Concert over at the Darkmoon Faire, and astonishingly, the game didnā€™t crash once during the event! Seeing as this was one of the fights with a 100% crash rate for me, Iā€™m actually pretty (cautiously) optimistic that this bug has finally been fixed?

2 Likes

It has been fixed! Disable particles and you can enjoy your favorite game again :smiley:

2 Likes

Ahā€¦that sounds like a temporary fix (hopefully?), but Iā€™ll take it for now.

Letā€™s see if I can finally get the HoO scenario done tonight.

Yep, seems to be much more stable. Iā€™ve noticed particle effects like sparkling quest objects have been switched off, so something has definitely been done, if only temporarily. Thanks, Blizzard, for persisting with this for us dedicated Mac users - itā€™s appreciated.

1 Like

Did Blizzard advertise as Mac friendly? Yes
Did they ask me to pay them for a product? Yes
Did the players get to use the product? No. 3 weeks out of paid 4.
Did Blizzard say anything about it ? No.

Its a game when you can play it for free. Once you pay something youā€™re in for a contract. So get your act together. Iā€™m not a charity.

1 Like

3 weeks in and Iā€™ve finally been able to complete the introductory quest line to 8.3 by switching the Particle Density to disabled in the graphics settings.

Hesitant to heap too much praise on Blizz as a working game is the least I expect from my subscription, but Iā€™m glad a (hopefully temporary) fix has been found.

Yeah I got 45 minutes through playing with no stutter and just thought I got lucky. Found it weird that none of my quest pick up items glowedā€¦

Then tried to do a Calligraphy quest and it was impossible without any sparkles. Then realised none of my weapon enchants were showing, or armour effects. Saw my graphic settings have now mostly been set at ā€˜Disabledā€™ when before this wasnā€™t even an option.

It is definitely good that the game is at least playable for us again. But really hope itā€™s just a temporary fix, because itā€™s still not quite ideal.

1 Like

Yeah I can also (finally) do the 8.3 HoO scenario without crashing with particle density disabled, HOWEVER as a mage all my spells are (obviously) invisible as a result. Iā€™m killing my enemies using mime, basically. What Blizzard gives with one hand it takes away with another. More work needed.

1 Like

I went into a dungeon and a couple of world bosses and it was smooth, with no crashes. Looks like itā€™s fixed.

2 Likes

This is what it says under their Hotfixes from yesterday.

"System

MacOS
** Players who have experienced crashes or freezes on MacOS systems can now change the Particle Density visual effects setting to ā€œDisabledā€. This may help users work around the issue while we investigate it further."

So its a temporary fix while they investigate further into the issue, so atleast they gave some sort of temporary solution instead of the game just keep being unable to play, which i would say is a great start. Now, some sort of compensation would be great, but ill take it for now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They give not any compensation.
Forget this word.

Ye, but hey, a temporary fix is better than no fix.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Just to get some more visibility on this update, from the Hotfixes Blog:

Players who have experienced crashes or freezes on MacOS systems can now change the Particle Density visual effects setting to ā€œDisabledā€. This may help users work around the issue while we investigate it further.

Iā€™m glad to hear a few reports already of this helping for now and rest assured weā€™ll continue to work on this issue.

I know itā€™s been a rough few weeks for a lot of you so again I just want to say thank you for your continued understanding.

2 Likes

ok and where is any competetion for us? 3 weeks without playing ? wtfā€¦