MacBook Air M1 game crashing

I have an 8GB (8 GPU core) 2020 MacBook Air M1. The game runs great however after anywhere from 5-20 minutes of play the display freezes. The game is still running in the background but the display has frozen, you can still cast spells etc and you hear them casting. You have to try to force quit WoW or if it doesn’t clear you need to force reboot the Mac. I thought it might be overheating but the Mac runs cool to the touch, I have run Diablo 3 for over an hour with no issues and it gets much warmer. No idea what is going on with it.

I have the exact same issue. Haven’t tried to cast spells, but everything but the game seem to work. Background YouTube video was still playing etc. Can’t get out of the game when this happens though, so had to hard-restart computer a few times. I managed to fix it by closing the lid for a little while, when I came back I had been logged out. So that might be a tip for you so you won’t have for force-restart your computer next time.

It always seem to happen when I turn the camera around, I’ve been using the touchpad… just for testing. Are you using a mouse?

Have you ever had this problem in window mode? I haven’t tried it enough, but seems to work better in window mode.

16GB (8 core GPU) M1

Hi. Not tried window mode yet. I will try tonight though. And yes, I use a mouse and it crashes often when I am turning although it has crashed moving forward using the keys.

I am also going to look out for gpureset errors in the logs as this is a similar crash that others have had when using AMD 5600 CPU’s on Catalina and Big Sur. it might be related to something running in the background using Rosetta so I am going to ensure that I don’t have any Rosetta apps running and I have the bnet client closing at game launch too.

Did you run game natively or via Rosetta?

I’ll be interested to know what you find!

Latest patch should have made it native, so I hope that’s what it does? Unless I have to change some setting?..

/ snarf

Have you just updated to Big Sur? I am having the same issues ever since updating and the load screens are covered in red and black dots.

The new devices comes with Big Sur already installed.

Getting the same problem on my Mac mini M1.

Classic WoW works fine - presume that’s Rosseta in action?

Retail WoW crashes randomly, locked screen, process not responding. Only way out is force quit app.

It is showing Metal in the settings and Architecture showing intel in the process list in Activity Monitor.

Tried it on Quality 1, still does it.

Thanks,
Anthony

Locks up in windowed and full screen windowed. Might very well be a big sur issue but until it is fixed it is unplayable.

16GB M1 MBP. Crashes here as well. Worked fine in the first M1 native 9.0.2 patch (Icecrown daily, BFA areas horde+alliance) but after today’s update it keeps crashing/beach-balling (doing the Icecrown dailys if it helps). Also, someone tell Omegal over at the US forums that this is not an out of memory bug. WoW was using 4.5GB and I have plenty left every time I crash.

Edit: settings was at 10, no aa, render scale at 50% - this worked great yesterday.

Edit: update from Omegal: need to turn on v-sync on M1 Macs (off to try)

news in that same link,
“I was just updated on this issue. It’s caused if vsync is turned off. Vsync must be on to avoid this problem on M1 Macs.”

Will try this out, I know I turned off v-sync.

No go. Had v-sync turned on already and tried switching back and forth each crash. Crashing either way.

Edit: And again, yesterday was fine on 9.0.2 (with v-sync on apparently).

been playing for 20+ min now without issues with v-sync on. That never happened before… I’m feeling somewhat optimistic about this… :slight_smile:

First round was roughly 20 min before crashing for me, but I’ll cheer you on from the sides! Probably no more play time today.

Perhaps it’s time to compare settings to see if there’s a specific setting that could be the culprit. Only tried the “10”, no aa, render scale at 50% so far.

Actually, v-sync does nothing. Been fooling around with settings in game and the native resolution in OSX. Restarting. I can’t seem to reproduce this issue today… I Haven’t removed any apps, afaik everything is the same as yesterday.

Quality 5 making sure Vsync is on seems to help. Not crashed yet, 30mins so far…

I just set it to “recommended”, seems to be 5 and native screen resolution. V-sync on. No aa. Took a bit longer but still crashes. And that’s it for today from me.

Tried tweaking settings but it still crashes. Guessing that the QA team played for 5 mins and went ‘yup, it’s fine’ then blizz shipped it. Pmsl.

Same settings as earlier.

Still crashes randomly.

Does seem to happen more often when there’s lots going on, combat wise.

I’m also having the same problem with my MacBook Air M1. I was so excited about playing and then this happens. This is my first Mac computer that I’ve ever bought, so I’m still learning how it works, but this makes me sad. Watching this space.