Machine Upgrade

Hi All,

I have just recently come back to WoW and after upgrading my mouse, i thought it was best to turn my thoughts to upgrading my machine. At the moment i run a grpahics level 3. This runs ok for most parts but can get a little slow in city’s or raids when everything is kicking off. I am expecting that my Graphics card is to blame but i also read that WoW is CPU heavy.

Windows 10 Pro x64
8.00GB Ram
AMD FX™-6100 6 Core
Gefore GT 430
SSD 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

I am not looking to have the best machine on the market but i’d like to be able to push the settings to 8 or so and for it to run super smooth.

Cheers in adv,

16GB RAM would be the first step I’d take - 8GB is a bare minimum, given that Windows will want to use as much as half of what you currently have.

I suspect that the GT 430 is an on-board GPU*; if it is then it’s even more reason to increase the amount of RAM you have; on-board graphics ‘steal’ some of your RAM, so the more you have the less impact ‘sharing’ 8GB with Windows, WoW & your graphics card will be. Best solution for the graphics side is to get a GTX - or AMD equivalent - variant of discrete graphics card, ideally a 10-series.
*It may not be based on ‘further research’

Further research shows that set-up to be (possibly) 5+ years old & potentially ripe for replacement; I would consider a new ‘tower’ based around 16GB RAM, at least 2GB of discrete graphics and as much CPU as your wallet can take before waving a white flag.

Short answer 1: 16GB RAM & a new graphics card
Short answer 2: New PC ‘box’ based on short answer 1.

disagree on the ram. 8gb isn’t ideal but it should work okay, certainly the gpu and cpu are bigger concerns, particularly the gpu.

cheapest upgrade would be to drop a new graphics card in there, but as long as you have an fx6100 it’ll never be “super smooth”, but it may be good enough to where you’re happy with it.

personally i’d either replace the graphics card or replace the whole computer, except the ssd which you could carry over. could consider starting with the graphics card and see how it goes, and if it’s not enough then look at upgrading the rest of it.

Pretty much what Retierx recomended.

I would replace your current card to a GTX 1050ti (cheaper) or a GTX 1060 (less cheap) and see if that is enough to make you happy.

If its good enough, problem solved.
If not, we will see from there.

About the RAM.

With Windows 10 and DX12 i upgraded from 8Gb to 16Gb and i saw a improvement.
While playing WoW + 1 or 2 tabs open, im using 50% to 60% total RAM, so clearly 8Gb is not enough.

edit: always a damn typo…

Cheers all, pretty much as i expected. I was aiming for more ram and a new graphics card. I’d probably keep the tower, MB and CPU for the time being and like you said see how thing pan out.

The machine built in stages last time around i guess it’s the same thing this time. Cheers.

Sorry i didn’t reply sooner, for some reason the alert didn’t tell me of a response.

Do you work with a laptop or desktop?

Biggest boon I can see is GPU replacement, judging by the name its on the lower end of a quite old
(in computer terms) generation

The CPU at 3.3GHz baseline is fine, so is its amount of cores (6), not optimal but fine, upgrading this could mean a new socket type so could also come with a new mobo and some of those also use new RAM sockets so you might end up needing to replace all 3 (mobo/CPU/ram) if you choose to go for a more modern generation of any of these 3

If you have the cash and can suffer to spend it upgrade it all

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.