MacOs Ventura

Just upgraded the MacOs on my Mac mini M1 to Ventura - took less than 30 minutes which was impressive.

No game issues at all - seems the graphics have been optimised and will run at higher res happily without lag - though I don’t usually run above 6.

So at 2560 lines, quality 6, 60 frames steady.

I’m using a 4K TV so it won’t go above 60 frames, be interested to know how it’s running on a 144Mhz gaming monitor if anyone has that set up

3 Likes

Works beautifully on M1 Max 16" Pro as well, though I did not see any FPS improvements. It’s the same as it was before.

2 Likes

With the M1 Pro base model I noticed fps drops when clicking. Strange issue, someone else noticed it too: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mac-os-ventura-m1-bug-wotlk-classic/1377995

Have you noticed anything similar?

I’m using Mac mini M1 with 16Gig Ram, not noticed any problems at all - the graphic performance after the move to Ventura is definitely improved - and that will be the optimisation for the ARM chipset.

Are you running 8Gig or 16Gig Ram, as I understand it the M1 will use the SSD as virtual Ram and perhaps that is causing you that issue?

I have 16gig, this is the 14" Pro M1 Pro. I’m also playing with an external monitor. The issue is not that noticeable with Macbooks own monitor though.

I did not have this issue with the previous version of MacOS.

I managed to re-create the effect - if you just click in your view FPS will drop 2/3, and if you repeatedly click FPS would drop down in increments but no lower than 44/45.

So I called Apple.

Thought process is that its a small drop as the hardware acceleration (introduced in Big Sur and Optimised for Metal 3 in Venture) is activated ready for you to change the camera angle.

Frame rate recovers almost instantly with no other undesirable effect ,

If you have a mismatch between the scaling on the desktop (native) and the scaling you use in the game this would cause further issues as you are putting a latent load on the GPU

Hmm,

Interesting. Did they suggest anything else to get rid of the issue? Do you think this should be fixed by Blizzard or Apple?

its a drop of 2/3 fps for a second - it’ll get ironed out - but the M1 isn’t a gaming machine

I believe the FPS drop may have to do with GxAllowCachelessShaderMode
Have a look at this

Yes! Someone is talking about this.
I have M1 16" and game used to work fine.
After ventura and woltk game drops 20 fps every time i click.
If I farm mobs and need to loot multiple of them right right click, game even turns black for a sec few times.

It seems like clicking is broken for now.

1 Like

Is it still a thing ? I postpone my mac update only because this potential issue.

Yes, the issue still exists. However, the overall performance seems to be better though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.