Mage Portals - are they usefull?

So I just thought I’d hear you guys opinion on the current state of the “Mage Portal” spells (not to confuse with Mage Teleport).

Do you even use it at all?

Everyone seems to have 0 seconds cooldown on their HS and it is always set to a hub from which they can port anywhere. Which is fine I guess - but when done in a dungeon, I make a portal for Dazar’alor and one for Orgrimmar, still people use their HS, because it goes to the docs - and I’m talking 95% of the time.

I miss the good old days when you could help strangers and friends get around in the world!

But what to do?

I like that some hubs are removed, but could blizzard maybe rethink mage portals instead? To make them more relevant? Maybe sending people to Zones or something?

2 Likes

It’s more like a habit when you finish a dungeon than it is actually useful.

On other chars I rarely ever have a moment like “Oh damn, my HS is on CD - if only …”.

Yep, it’s quite useless atm. Perhaps they’ll be a bit more useful when they rearrange and remove some of the portals, but I doubt it with the current HS CDs.

1 Like

There may be multiple hearthstones now, but they do have a cooldown.

Mage portals are really handy if you want to get from the middle of no where to any major area without worrying about this.

Its also very fun if you collect the Dalaran crater portal and use it at the end of a dungeon or raid. :smiley:

1 Like

That. So much joy to see your entire group fall for the trick and die.

Swamp of sorrows one may come handy now with them removing so many portals.

Their usefulness is gonna get a boost with 8.1.5, since they’re taking away a load of portals. Not all the portals in the new portal rooms even take you directly to the cities either, so if you or a buddy wants to go directly to say, the Vale, you can use a mage portal instead of flying from the Jade Forest.

How much should we charge? 500g? 1k?

Portals are insanely useful to get around in the world. People might have garrison/legiondalaran/bfa hearthstones but that doesn’t help them get to other cities literally instantly without any cooldown, which we can.

Not to mention we can also teleport to theramore/stonard/old dalaran/tol barad/ashran.

If you wonder how valuable portals are, try playing a non mage alt and see how inconvenient travel suddenly becomes. Zeppelins and all that crap.

It would be nice for mages to have like 3 empty portal slots (or even less, even just 1) where you can set special locations like I don’t know, booty bay, and have your very personal set of portals - limited of course, so you can’t go everywhere.

It would be a nice reward for a mage only quest line too

4 Likes

Good God, gimmeh that!

Screw blue fire for Fire mages, having a limited number of personalised portals would be fantastic. Imagine how useful that’d be, not just for the mage, but for your friends and customers :wink:.

You’d be surprised. There’s quite a lot of teleportation items around as well as NPCs that can teleport you around without a portal.

e.g.

While it is true we hold the quickest route to the Swamp of Sorrows (if Horde), there are 2 easy ways to get to the next zone over and one of them is entirely free.

The Honor Hold/Thrallmar Mage below/near the new portal rooms offers a free, instant teleport to the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands. The ring - Violet Seal of the Grand Magus, from the Return to Karazhan questline offers an instant (+30 seconds equip) teleport to Karazhan’s original entrance in Deadwind pass, on a 4hr cooldown.

2 Likes

This is the best portals idea I’ve ever saw! And even with a class quest line - Yeah!

I never understood why, with NPCs opening portals everywhere and setting up beacons, players are not able to do the same but with some reasonable limitations, like amount of custom portals, 30-60 mins long CDs, need to craft/AH buy an consumable item for setting it up, etc.

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

3 Likes

This is a great idea! It would be an amazing and cool unique class ability.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.