Make it possible to block all whispers

As the title says, Blizzard, please implement an option to block whispers from people who are not on my friendlist or in my guild. I’m tired of all the toxic flamers in M+.

Last run for example, we timed +20 TjS, then the tank flamed the rogue because he had low dps. I said “we timed it, why do you have to flame then?” and left.
Ofc he had to whisper me and call me names. And that’s just an example out of many where you just get flamed for NO friggin reason and I’m tired of it.

I don’t want to toughen up or build resilience. I’d rather just stop playing entirely because of this crap.

7 Likes

That’s just part of the e-sportification of WoW where m+ is nothing but training ground for MDI. Run with friends, or don’t run at all.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/badboy_levels

This is a plugin for BadBoy: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/bad-boy

Features
  • Hides whispers from players below a specific level.
Only certain people are allowed to whisper you:
  • People on your friends list.
  • People that are part of your guild.
  • People above the level you choose.
  • People you’ve whispered since you logged on.

Simply, if a “bad” person whispers you, the whisper is blocked (hidden), then you automatically send them a whisper (also hidden) of what level they must be for you to see their whispers.

BadBoy Levels is open source and development is done on GitHub. You can contribute code, localization, and report issues there: https://github.com/funkydude/BadBoy_Levels

6 Likes

I don’t want to sound like bragging but I didn’t got any toxic M+ whisper so far in my life. Granted, I don’t play on high M+ simply due to the current dungeon rotation.

1 Like

it’s one of the reasons why I don’t do m+ at all.
Just walking around and doing my own thing, without too much contact with others :slight_smile:
Many people in m+ are simply too weird, just the slightest mistake, or a bit low dps, and you get called all kinds of things.

Absolutely. People need to realise a large part of what’s killing this game is the highly abusive community.

3 Likes

I never do M+ so can’t relate to it there, but I have gotten a few toxic comments on heroic/normal dungeons and timewalking. So I can only imagine the horrors of M+ :rofl:

I always have to explain beforehand if I have any disabilities or stuff the groups needs to know, otherwise they will scold me for not mentioning it from the beginning.

Other groups remove you as soon as you mention it during the beginning as they don’t want anyone “slowing them down” in timewalking dungeons.

This stuff is rare occurrence, but it does happen unfortunately

the most toxic thing ever happening to wow is m+ .

4 Likes

crazy how strong the stockholm syndrome is in retoilet players. The game is so bad and toxic that you have to block all communications with other players to make it a barely playable experience.

I use BadBoy as well along with WIM (wow instant messenger) and i only turn it on when i do dungeon content. Works great and i leave it off when i am questing or in a major city so people still can talk/whisper me!

1 Like

Really? Just ignore them, who cares if someone is so bitter that they need to send you whispers. It’s 2 clicks to put someone on ignore, whereas you’re potentially blocking all positive interactions you might encounter…

1 Like

+1 There should definitely be an opt-out option.

1 Like

This feels like something that should be a basic part of the “privacy” settings in game.

That addon looks great, however most applications with a social element (steam, discord, etc) have an option in settings to disable strangers from whispering, or sending friend requests.

I like to have both set to “friends of friends” where I can.

3 Likes

There should be some add on for people wich cant handle human interaction. Idk the name but there is one wich can block certain keywords or random people in general. But honestly why even play a mmorpg f you are going to block all other people.

1 Like

Because choosing to play with your own guild and group of friends is a perfectly fine way to play.

1 Like

But if they’re going to play group content with random people, as the OP was doing, they should expect some level of communication. What if they get flamed in party chat rather than whisper? Or are they just going to disable ALL chats so they can never see what random people say?

In which case, imo, they shouldn’t be playing group content with random people if they aren’t willing to communicate.

1 Like

100 % true. If someone who only plays with rl friends wants to do this then fine. But the OP clearly said he was pugging. If you are not willing to communicate in harder group content then you should not be allowed to do said content

1 Like

I agree in pugging there needs to be communication, but that doesn’t detract from my point that the game should provide basic options to filter who can message you and who can add you (everyone, friends, friends and their friends etc). Communication in pugs even with this setting is possible because:

• The player can turn the setting off
  • Blizzard could include the option to “allow” from people in the same group
  • Or simply, use the /p and /i channels to communicate while in a pug.

I saw another thread earlier where a person complained about being stalked, this setting also makes this much harder for the attacker to message their victim.

1 Like

If you want to make sure nobody can interact with you then it should act like a self imposed silence like blizzard does to people wich get reported. You cant talk to other players but this also applies to not being able to do anything group content related.

Seems only fair to me. No willingness to interact with others is a dealbreaker in group content.

And while you mentioned the topics about someone being stalked. Yes sadly this kind of things happen and a account wide ignore should help and also a proper punishment should be imposed on the stalker.

But lets be honest this function mostly will be used by anti social people and people wich will get offended by even the sightest suggestion despite it just being advice.

Hopefully this addon does not have the flaw that it does not work two ways. People who use this will happily flame you and call you the most unkind things they can, knowing that if you respond to them they will not receive the response.

I agree and wish this was an option in the social settings but as I commented to Punny it needs to work both ways. If you wish to block out randoms then it should block you too from interacting with randoms. To activate/deactivate requires a complete log out of the game (should auto dc you when turned on or off) otherwise you will have folks turning this off to flame someone and then quickly turn it on to block. By forcing a log out this will prevent them from hiding behind the ability and abusing it.

2 Likes