Malefic Cores on Echos was lazy and bad

Devil’s advocate…

1. The community has been moaning about arbitrary timegating for ages
  2. Blizz have implemented a thing that we can grind as much or as little of as we like, and made it the currency for all the important endgame things.

…I think we got what we asked for. We asked for the option to put in as much work as we wanted and get a proportional reward, and that’s what has been delivered.

Do think people need to be clear as to exactly why this isn’t what they wanted, because we’re sending very mixed messages right now.

The difference is exactly because there are extra steps. No one wanted extra steps.

This change might be okay, but all in all it’s still frustrating.
It is really fun to play a chara with a lot of corruptions, but the way to get there is so long and boring.
I’ve done countless visions, assaults, and emissary quests and at this point I don’t have the motivation to go through all this stuff again with a new chara, or an alt I haven’t played for 2 months.

This corruption and essences fiasco is 100% community fault !

Community : Blizz give us something that we can work toward

Care what you wish for you might get it !
Hopefully Dev’s learned lesson and will never again listen to so called " community feedback "

And thats important, yes, till now we had it bad, cathup was basicly non existent and all u had to do was log in once per week, do your weekly, vision +nzoth and you could log out till next week.

Now you can literaly spam m+/arena/bg and u will always get a little bit to your power boost progress. So basicly, everything you do boost you, indirectly, so you just have to play the game and put in efort.

Yet people are still mad because they want to play game with their alts but as soon as they actualy have to play game to become viable its bad design…

Agreed, we got a catch up mechanic to the cloak of which we asked for.

And even already 1 week after they went all like: Nah, you aint getting a catch up mechanic for the cloak after rank 15.

But the thing is, the amount of echoes needed for everything you want to do is getting out of hand.
Increasing echoes droprate was a good move, but to increase prices of essences along with it, when you also need 3-15k for your corruptions is a bad move.

Its not the problem with not getting what we want or ask for.
But there has been a lot of feedback on changing / updating the gameplay systems like echoes / cloak upgrades.

A lot of feedback has been provided about the cloak catch up that we got, and i think almost everyone thinks that getting malefic cores till you ran out of catching up from Horrifics is the better answer.

Or adding malefic cores to assault rewards or buy them with coalscing visions instead or whatever.

This is a returning topic in every feedback post and used by the people who want to tell us we are wrong.

But we do want to play the game, we just dont want to certain types of content just to be viable.
Being willing and able to play, doesnt mean you have to play all the content there is.

And just accept it.

EXAMPLE:
If i just want to play M+ or raid, i want to be able to do so.
But before i can do the above i have to:

• Do all my world quests / emissaries on a daily basis
  • Play arena
  • Do all Nzoth assaults, even tho i dislike them with a passion

I need to do all of the other means of content, i wish not to play before i can play the content i want to play.
Drastically reducing the amount of time i can dedicate to said desired content.
END OF EXAMPLE

Nobody ever had an issue with playing the game, but especially BFA Is the king in forcing you into content you dont want to run to even be able to run your desired content.

That is the underlaying issue, not the fact we dont want to work for our ‘‘progress’’

1 Like

I’m gonna start off by saying that this particular change did not affect me personally in any way - the farthest behind any of the 3 chars I keep up to date has been is 6 res which I got almost solely through tanking/dpsing n’zoth for friends who didn’t have curve yet because #curveornoinv.

I strongly believe that the changes were coming regardless of community feedback. Its a catch up mechanic to get your alts or returning players on par with minimum requirements. Given the impact that corruptions have on your character’s performance it was pretty clear that getting neck levels wasn’t gonna cut it.

Something very key here is that some classes feel dysfunctional without corruptions by default and all feel dysfunctional by comparison and this is before taking azerite traits and essences into account. Another key thing is that unless you are a returning player, you’re likely to be tired of daily emissaries at this point, which is where the effort to reward factor comes into play. The content that gives the biggest rewards in terms of catch up (which is what you are funneled into as a new player or an alt) is the most trivial content.
Emissary quests, Assaults (which if you’re doing them as efficiently as possible is basically another emissary quest), Warfronts and Horrific Visions (bonus for rewards not scaling with masks on those) all require less time and effort and award as much as or more than for example mythic + dungeons.

So to sum it up - the most rewarding content is the most trivial content and on top of that it is also time gated - you can’t squeeze in more than 4-5 visions per week and you can’t get more than 1 emissary per day. On top of that the “difficult” and repeatable content is unrewarding by comparison and significantly more time consuming. This, combined with the fact that they implemented 4 catch up mechanics (lowered requirements on essences, corruptions on the vendor, cloak rank catch up and cloak resistance catch up) nicely timed 1-2 months apart for things which should have been there since the start of the patch screams bad game design.

I can’t speak for others but I wouldn’t define soloing daily quests and visions as playing an MMORPG.

Do you guys remember when echoes was just for essences? And we where told it was just for essences?

… And i got every single bloody one on all 12 of my chars …?

:rage:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Do you remember you could just log on,

Enter group finder or grab some guildies and run a dungeon or raid?
Without having to play 7 hours extra to just be able to do the above?

on main i can do just that.
im 477 ilvl, near bis everything
can log and do whatever content i wish or harass some ppl in bgs

however, getting there took a lot of grinding of menial content
i lost count of how many visions i did for my sockets
also lost count how many world quests

now its like next neck level is 150k ap away. So i don’t even bother with islands, emissaries and whatnot. Because why should i? To get 50 more dps when im doing 100k? Nah, ill pass. Visions? Eh, no upgrades left, even if a 470 drops.

now if you look on the gear, here are sources where it came from:
raid 5
m+ cache 2
titan residue vendor 1
visions 4
boe 1

It’s from wide variety of content. Back in the day it would be all from raid. Raid or nothing. Non-raid gear was dogpoo.

On a main, yeah you can.

But if you wanna play an alt in any scenario, you are first met with the awful grind of echoes / cloak ranks / etc etc etc before you can even set foot inside the content you wanna do.

Even for Arena you are in need of certain raid trinkets because they are so OP.

raiding for pvp-suitable trinkets has been there since god knows how long. It’s there to stay.

However the grind is really harsh, that’s true. Especially for arena, i don’t see a reason to queue with anything less than 470 ilvl with good corruptions. The power difference is so much that i’m basically a free win to the enemy team.

I que arena on main, see 280k hp enemy im like, nice I won. Yea before even the match begins. I always won such matches.

2000 Echo for a core is not that horrible… :thinking:
Better than nothing
Now only if the books and pages would be buyable… runing the visions for the Nth time with alt for those just slowly gnaws away your sanity… :octopus:

But this applies to everyone, pvper pvers, RPers… They all hate chores the same.

But the point with EON is, u can do literaly any content and get them, thats the point, no matter if u do pvp pve or world quests with passion, u can get echoes and be viable…

So much this. U go girl :point_up_2: :fairy:t6:‍♂ :clap:t6:

With this i meant more like spaming m+/arenas/bgs, what u said is true, yes, the best sources are time gated ( or at least when u take time u need for echoes they are best) assaults and emisaries, cant do much with them.

But if u are behind, u can actualy do something if u got the timr for it u have to do like 10 +12/3(?) keys to buy one core, for basicly just playing game, same applies to arenas/bgs ( i dont pvp dont know how kuch you get). Yes, it is time consuming, yes there could be better catch up, or at least increase echoes we get from non time gated content, but still, if u can afford to play 50hours a week u will get ahead of someone who plays 5 a week, so your effort matters… Once again, kind of.

Yes but actually no. If you play it like a mobile game and cash in on those daily and weekly login rewards you’ll definitely have it down within 2 months. Unless you spam m+ or arenas to get it in 1 or less its pointless - you’ll likely burn yourself out and once you’re done you’ll still have to wait until the right corruption comes on the vendor.

Granted, my paladin doesn’t look all that decked out but I have 5x versatile sitting in the bank for when I get the gear I want to put them on and even then I won’t be able to safely (not dealing with consecutive double thing from beyond spawns again) equip it for another 7 weeks.

Bottom line is you’re artificially limited by so many things its ridiculous. You can’t pull that far ahead if you put in the effort, there is little to no point in speed grinding if you’re behind and there is no room for experimentation since if it fails you’ll have to regrind the same assaults, emissaries and visions you’re already tired of just to get back to where you started.

1 Like

I faintly recall that the whole ignoring feedback thing got us BFA.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.