Malefic Rapture sucked the magic out of Affliction

I used to be an Affliction conneseur. I was positive on malefic Rapture when it was coming, but quickly realized i don’t enjoy it. And i can see that alot of people feel the same. Affliction used to feel like a really ‘‘Special’’ kind of spec. there was just some magic that was lost when Affliction shifted into the more typical builder/spender design we have now. and now with The War Within coming, it looks like they are firmly putting Malefic Rapture at Afflictions center of gameplay. i’m really sad to see them double down on this spell moving forward.

6 Likes

They are hell-bent on keeping that annoying skill…

Warlock was in a solid spot in legion. UA spender was fine, demonic seed bit jank if it didn’t explode but that could have been tweaked.

Instead we are stuck with this random ability that replaced both of those while feeling less interesting to use and clutter our ability bar.

3 Likes

UA spam was one of the worst design,mop/wod was peak aff,id take any version but legion.

2 Likes

UA spam was fine. Only issue with that generation was the soul mirror or whatever it was called that you had to place.

Going back to UA/Drain soul would be welcome. And if anything malefic rapture should or could have been baked into drain soul like the aoe life drain we had in mop.

As of now Rapture just clutter everything.

2 Likes

Nah,ua spam was broken and clunky.
MR was perfect in shadowlands,but now not so much,but id always choose it over UA spam that made no sense anyways

1 Like

i would like them to implement a new way to spend soul shards. maybe something similar to that new 45 second cooldown they have coming up. say; Malefic rapture applies a really short 3 second HEAVY dot on ANY target afflicted by Agony. where it wouldn’t have a stack count per say, but every spender would apply another, and another of this same DoT. there would maybe be ways to proc 2 at the same time on the target etc. this would be so faithful to the DoT fantasy, yet have a simple enough way to spend shards.

Back in wod/mop you had soulburn that would affect your spells and haunt was shard spender.
No need to invent anything new,all 3 specs in mop/wod were Superior to what we have now

2 Likes

Idk if it would work but I think it would be cool of MR empowered dots rather than the other way around, something like MR makes dots do x% more damage for 10 seconds, with multiple casts stacking but not refreshing the duration.

Unfortunately there is one huge change we don’t have now which we did back then. Snapshotting. The lack of DoT snapshotting is the reason there’s this need for Affliction to be given these extra things, otherwise it really does become an oversimplified spec.

I’ll also mention here I’m more than aware of Affliction being far too easy for the output it had in MoP - though we do also have a lot simpler and more rewarding specs overall now (not that this is a good thing).

I don’t think the Rapture direction fixes this by any means, but there is a huge hole left in the previously dynamic gameplay which Snapshotting DoTs brought. They likely need to come up with a new direction to head in, or add additional elements to care about which isn’t shard gen & spender spam.

Are you sure that its MR that clutters your ability bar, and not all the dots that were added after legion?
Lmao, you were maintaining only 3 dots in legion, legion affli was the most braindead caster ever, UA spam and MR spam are basically same thing

2 Likes

Probably best kind of spender was Haunt. It buffs DoTs. I think they should return to that.

i also hated ua spam - go back to st spender being haunt and bring back soulburn haunt back PLS I BEG

and remove cd on soulswap pls :slight_smile:

also, what about something like the pvp talent they removed, rapid contagion? that was so nice

It was yeah, going from pvp to m+ felt wrong without it.

They can make Drain Soul spend shards too. Its just a matter of choice for Blizzard. Posibilities are endless. Wanting to go with Malefic Rapture is not a neccessity but rather a choice.

What we can do is simply continue to voice our opinion.

2 Likes

I just dont get why they’re doubling down on it. Ive never heard anyone being positive about MR

1 Like

I’m positive about MR,but the shadowlands version.