Meeting leaders

Hey there! I was wondering purely for curiosity : have your characters ever met/ spoken to a prominent lore character? What’s the deal/context behind that?

1 Like

I very usually avoid writing my characters meeting important lore ones mainly because I don’t want to write the rendez-vous only to mess up the latter’s personality or some such.

The only incident I ever wrote it happen was regarding the oldest of my night elves - Archmage Duku, who is precisely eight thousand, four hundred, and two years old - he is extremely proficient in the sciences of magic and alchemy (but has no worthwhile combat experience). He has a childhood friend who works as a rogue in the SI:7, and one day she approaches him with a fix - the academy that trains recruits and younglings had to search for a substitute for the professor tutoring the subject of combat against magic, AWOL at the time. Duku possesses a lot of theoretical knowledge, and his friend pushes him to be her suggestion for a substitute teacher (despite his pleas, since he is very socially introvert).

He only ever teaches for a few days… but one of his students was Rell Nightwind, back then a young newbie.

That’s pretty much the only incidence I have written. All of my characters prefer to lead their own lives, away from the politics at the top.

:sun_with_face:

I usually say “Nope.” because most RP characters aren’t really prominent political players.
So no reason to meet any of the big, important people.
Maybe if you’re military, then you could have been briefly in Wyrmbane’s or Eitrigg’s presence for a promotion or something.

Demon hunters are a bit special in that case, we know Illidan trained all of them personally to some extent.
You can get away with smaller things like that. Within reason. Sylvanas or Lor’themar could have given your belf ranger a promotion at some point.
Or your Forsaken ranger could have gotten a few archery lessons from Nathanos.

Just don’t be Lilian Voss’ mother or Calia Menethil’s son or big shiz like that.

Usually I avoid it. But for Hiyo here Yu’lon is actually a big part of her backstory and she is very devoted to the jade serpent. And I wanted it to be a personal devotion. So maybe I am just a hypocrite?

So how it goes is that one Midsummer Festival celebrated at The Jade Temple, way into the night when her family was sound asleep, young Hiyo snuck into the libraries to find a particular book she had heard about. I never gave much thought to what this book was, it is not important. But while in this library another young Pandaren girl was there; Fei, who shows up here and there in the MoP story. Well Fei and Hiyo, they conversed and she agreed to help Hiyo find the book. Eventually they did indeed discover it’s location; far far up the shelves all the way up by the roof. Much too high for Hiyo to get it. But then just as Hiyo was about to call her little trespass quits, Fei transformed in a blinding light into her true form: Yu’lon The Jade Serpent. And Yu’lon fetched the book for little Hiyo. And then they stayed there all night, reading.

Maybe that in some ways is a bit too much, but I don’t think it is out of character for for Yu’lon.

No one has ever given me pushback for it, so I like to think that I have done well for the character. And to this day it is an important, maybe the most important, part of Hiyo’s background. And that experience is more transformative to her as a person than anything else in the world could be.

Given how the Void Elves were a relatively small band of eclectic scholars and magisters and their personal retinues that chose to follow Umbric, it’s quite probable that most of them are quite familiar with Umbric, and have probably interacted with him quite a number of times. Unlike the large armies of Orgrimmar, Darnassus or Stormwind, I could see Umbric calling people directly when he needs something.

Even so, I tend to avoid the details. Like Serrathil has worked; often closely; with Umbric and his inner circle, but I only refer to such episodes in a vague manner.

I would normally not have my character have any direct or close relationships with a leader, but I feel the Void Elves are uniquely placed in that they are basically a small cult/enclave, and logically a lot more tightly knit than other ‘races’.

Tal here has met Umbric and Alleria, on the basis that pretty much all Void Elves probably have, but I prefer to keep such meetings as vague background stuff. She has argued with Umbric over a security concern and had some brief tutoring from Alleria (again, Void Elf stuff) and that’s about it.

That’s sort of the rule with these things, for me. If it makes sense, some characters might have met lore important types at some point, but it’s not detailed and it’s in the backstory; they’re not close buddies, and my characters certainly can’t call in a favor from the king and just win an argument with that.

1 Like

I avoid this like the Plague, but as has been mentioned, for some races, like the Ren’dorei, and some classes, like the Illidari and death knights, it makes more sense that your character may, or even must, have met the appropriate prominent lore character (Illidan / The Lich King).

1 Like

Usually try to avoid that

But in some cases its unavodable, like a 2nd or 3rd generation Death Knight encounter with the Lich King or in a Worgen’s case, Genn Greymane and every Demon Hunter at least once met Illidan…
A Draenei had to meet Velen and a Lightforged with Xe’ra, Alleria, Lothraxion, Fareeya or Turalyon… like a Ren’dorei are a bit tied to Umbric and Alleria and a Nightborne either as a rebel supporter the rebel cast (Thalryssa, Valtrois, Oculeth, etc) and a loyal-but-changed-his-mind-in-time the Loyal cast (Elisande and her Court)… :smirk:

Ryoshun was a Sethrak slave as a pup, working in their mines and after escaping, he became a pirate and more or less devote follower of Gral (well, he have the habit forcing others to walk the plank, or just toss them overboard to feed Gral’s ever hungry childrens as a sacrifice of some sort) and never met Kiro and probably never will… (IC not even visited Orgrimar)

I would say that meeting large lore figures is reasonable thing if you write it as inconsequential for such figure. Every Void probably talked with either Umbric or Alleria, likely both due to simple fact of them not being that numerous. For Sahoenna, she has met Archamage Mordent for no other reason than the fact Highborne aren’t all that numerous and for them to have never met would be larger snowflake than meeting and exchanging some pleasantries during larger gatherings.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.