Micro stutters and FPS drops on Classic and Retail

Hello, i play on a Intel Nuc 8i7BEH equipped with CPU i7-8559U, iGPU Intel Iris Plus 655, Windows 10 Pro, 16 Gb of DDR4 2400 and a Samsung Evo 970 m2 SSD . I’m going trough some issues while gaming in World of Warcraft where i experience a slight stutter and fps drop every 30/45 sec mostly in open world.

This happens both on the retail and the classic version of the game. The CPU/iGPU should be perfectly able to handle the game with no issues specially at the low graphical settings i enabled.
Except for these “micro freezes” the game runs good with a stable 60 fps frame rate.

Running the Task manager open while playing, i realized that every time the stutter happens there is a negative spike on the GPU current usage as you can see from the pics i linked

There is no temperature issue as both the CPU and the GPU are under-volted and the fans are running at full speed.
Windows (10 ) is on Ultimate Performance power settings and the CPU speed is locked at 4.5mhz. The GPU is set on Maximum Performance as well.

All my drivers are updated, it happens with or without add-ons, it happens with any Windows Power/Performance setting and it happens with or without changing CPU/GPU Voltage.

This shouldn’t happen and i have no idea on how to fix this as i tried everything in my knowledge.

Some help would be appreciated.

[MSInfo] https://pastebin.com/tJ1xSryw

[DxDiag] https://pastebin.com/LqPAFWqP

Pics:

[Retail IMG1] https://servimg.com/view/11380995/147

[Classic IMG1] https://servimg.com/view/11380995/148 

[Classic IMG2] https://servimg.com/view/11380995/149

I fixed it on my own. Had something to do with the Desktop Windows Manager eating up GPU resources when the desktop wallpaper was in slide mode.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing the same on an Iris Plus 655 IGPU on a MacBook Pro 13" 2019 with 4-core i7. I’ve been looking at the IGPU and CPU usage, frequences and temperatures, and the sudden drops in frames happens even when the GPU/CPU is not used, and when the temperatures are low. Which means there is no throttling or anything like that happening.

The sudden drops in frames can happen in totally empty areas, while really busy areas with a lot of people have zero drops in frames.

The drops in frames happens regardless of graphics settings (1, 2, 3), and regardless if Vsync is on or off, and regardless if framerates are capped or not.

Seems more like a bug in the game related to the Intel Iris Plus 655 than a CPU/GPU issue to me. As said, the temps are fine, the resources are fine (even when the Iris Plus is clocked at 500MHz it is fine, then suddenly it can drop frames without clocking up to 1.1GHz). Voltages are fine, thermal thresholds are fine, total power usage is well below the limit, and there is no throttling causing it.

I’ve also tried disabling Turbo Boost to see if that helped. But that didn’t make a difference at all.

1 Like

I have the same problem. micro stutter when walking every few sec… on retail no problem at all… dunno why frame time just lag.

1 Like

Don’t know about Mac but i fixed it. The issue for me was the desktop wallpaper. It was set to slide and change and every time it happened WoW stuttered. It only happened in WoW since it runs in windowed mode. Worth looking if you have something running in the background taking up GPU resources when the stutter happens.

7 Likes

Man I’m having the same issue, also running MacOS. Started about 2 days ago and it’s driving me crazy. Did you find any solution?

I’m also having this problem. I have a GTX 1080 and i5-6600k overclocked to 4.5ghz

1 Like

This started for me today out of the clear blue. It’s not computer issues, everything is fine and updated. Every 5 seconds i go from my usual 90-100 fps to 20-30 and it’s driving me crazy. AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB ram,RX 590 at stock settings. Please any help? No wallpaper issues, nothing running in background other then discord, disabled add-on’s etc.

(Edit)
After more playtesting, If i look in the same direction more then a few seconds the fps drops, as soon as i turn the camera it goes back to normal for a few seconds until dropping again.

(Edit) Logged onto my retail account, no issue there. After logging back on to classic, it seems to have fixed itself, strange. no issues now

1 Like

Figured i’d bump a dead thread and say i had the same issue and it was actually certain out of date addons that were causing it. Last thing I expected.

One of the 1st thing i checked was out of date addons, was not an issue here.

this solved it for me, put a static desktop wall paper and no stutters at all. You are a life save.

Thanks a lot!!

I had same issue, but found disabling discord caused the issue to go away.

Having this issue on classic and it’s driving me crazy! It doesn’t happen instantly when I load the game up but once it start my FPS drops every 5 seconds or so from 80+ to around 30-40 I’ve tried lowest setting and highest settings nothing makes a difference, I’ve updated my driver’s too… Please help lol

Disabling Windows 10’s slideshow feature for wallpapers, as OP suggested, helped for my stutters. (As strange as it may seem.)

1 Like

Locking due to bumping a really old thread. If you are having an issue, please feel free to make a new/your own thread on the issue. There’s no need to reply to an 8 month old thread.