Millennials. boomers or gen z?

Which generation has the worst attitude towards the game?

I strongly believe it is millennials; most are too nerdy and not as smart as they are nerdy. Boomers are annoying because they tend to not be flexible. Finally, gen z tend to mimic millennials and boomers so they are not that easily identified and contribute towards apathy between the aforementioned demographics.

Geography in WoW.

2 Likes

Every generation
Each generation has those type of people :person_shrugging:
Everyone’s as bad as each other lol.

6 Likes

Can confirm boomers aren’t quite flexible.

My lower back hurts in the mornings and the legs are giving me trouble when squatting.

6 Likes

Can you please elaborate on those three terms?

Considering boomers were born - at latest - during the mid 1960s, I don’t think they have much of an impact on the game, since they’ll be very few in numbers.

Millennials are about 80% of the population, I’m sure, so it must be us.

Boomers as in 30-year-old boomers?
I think it’s Gen Z. They hate Classic, this game is not made for them, things take too much time, they are the go-go-go-rush-rush type because modern city life is that kind of life. Idk if they even play the game, because I know that they love watching others play games, so they rather watch a stream than be in a raid and press buttons.

5 Likes

Any, all or none. Lumping all people of a certain age together with a single attitude is Ageism.

2 Likes

Another one of those threads that lose me with the word boomer. Millennials and gen-z are dumb terms as it is, but at least it isn’t the 13 year olds spouting boomer/zoomer trash. Boomer also isn’t a generation of anything.

The worst attitudes aren’t generations, it’s retail players, children, and childish adults who grew up on the internet and/or barely went outside for social interaction.

Who cares if it’s ageism or any of the -isms.

It is a simple segmentation of a demographic. Can be done with any chosen characteristics. I am not familiar with Ageism. Does this imply it is not valid? That is not true for it is accepted formally in human geography. I am assuming this must be some sort of new school terminology. Thank you for contributing Dottie.

Boomers are actually the Baby Boomers, typically born in the mid 1930s or 1940s. They’re mostly in their 70s, not many play video games.

3 Likes

For me it’s like Astrology, saying that everyone of a certain age or birthdate has the same characteristics, Ageism is age discrimination, or assigning someone of certain age groups characteristics based on their age.

Me? I’m Gen X.

2 Likes

I dunno what I am lol but Im only 17. I started playin retail but my gamer dad convinced me to play classic instead. U should always listen to ur dad :grinning:

2 Likes

You’re Gen Z / Zoomer. And your dad is right, and based.

1 Like

@Cuchillazo: I will begin by noting that I agree with Dottie’s note about ageism. Then to answer your question… None of those, because ALL three of those groups are minorities as far as WoW player base goes. And that actually applies to the forum posters, too, see below my comment to Bagobones.

@Gorael: Actually, Lorraen is correct. Not only do only very few of them play WoW, but many (or should I already say most?) of them are plain gone, including most of my oldest relatives. :frowning: In fact, my father and one of my remaining aunts and uncles are the only three of that age segment that remain out of almost 20 and I should probably note, that all three of them have far surpassed the typical average life expectancy values for their birth years in my home country.

@Bagobones: Highly improbable. Sadly, I can not give you exact quote, but as far as I recall in a fairly large Finnish survey, the average age of PC gamers around 2008, when I started playing, was roughly 32 years, higher than that for roleplaying games in general (including WoW)… and it has gone UP since that time. Also, while I can not prove it, I find it highly probable that WotLK:C has a higher average player age than retail does.

EDIT: Added a missing word.

1 Like

Damn all these terms make me feel ancient and I’m only in my 30s. I guess that’s what you get for not keeping up with TikTok.

5 Likes

All the annoying [redacted] who think they are somehow better at the game, Their opinion is more important and they know how the game should be played just because they played vanilla/tbc/wotlk.

Like f off, you were clueless back then and are clueless now.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that the average age of Classic players is higher than that of Retail. But I very much doubt that the majority of us are approaching 60.

Irrelevant what it is for you. It is totally valid to separate groups within a demographic for research; the characteristics I mentioned do indeed come out of the top of my head. Nothing like astrology, no intent at discrimination.

I’m detecting a lot of bitterness and resentment here.

1 Like

@Bagobones: 60, no. But 50, yes. If I did not botch certain historical facts about my home country, access to computers and roleplaying games, the following should be true at least for Finns (and it is worth adding that in addition to Germany, Finland had a very high relative WoW saturation levels around the time of original WotLK launch, to my knowledge more than 1 copy sold / 500 inhabitants within the first week). And to give you and other people perspective… A similar saturation level would have required London to sell 20 000+ copies in the same time.

Very few people above the current age of 54 would have had both computer access, sufficient knowledge of English and interest in roleplaying games in their youth. However, there would have been a very sharp increase in those numbers starting from age 48 downwards (Commodore 64 rapidly gained popularity in 1984). Side note, I am probably among the last people, who learned to type with a type writer, not a computer. For many other nations, those numbers would be very similar, possibly excluding Germany (and by extension, Austria) as some German language roleplaying games are almost as old as D&D. For English speaking nations those values certainly look somewhat different, which slightly increases the probable EU average.

Based on what I know or believe to be true, I think that current WotLK:C players average somewhere between 47 and 51 years, retail’s average value is probably 1-3 years lower. It is also highly probable that a large majority of the EU player base does not deviate more than 4 years upwards from that average. And downwards? Considering what Cataclysm did to player numbers… that deviation might actually be as little as 2 years for WotLK:C (and due to when WoW originally launched is pretty much guaranteed not to exceed 6 years). So it is likely the primary “fork” is actually very narrow, possibly even as small as less than 6 years, total.

2 Likes