MM , pet or no pet ?

Hey, i have been leveling this hunter after a long while and not sure what spec to play right now.

I kinda enjoy MM more then BM when it comes to abilities but i am not sure if i should play with pet or not.

I see you get a 10% dmg boost as MM.Is that enough to compensate for the pet loss ?

How does it work ? You level with the pet because he tanks for you but in dungeons and raids you play without ?

Thanks.

Highest dps = no pet

1 Like

ST = barely a difference. So if you need Hysteria/BL/Heroism or a tank…just summon one.

AoE/Cleave = no pet, since the pets of a MM can’t really cleave/aoe. Then the 10% buff for yourself is much better.

Levelling, well if you need a pet to tank for you then just use one.

2 Likes

In terms of pure DPS, lone wolf is your go-to. 10% is a solid buff that your pet just can’t outdamage (especially in AoE situations). In raids you obviously want your 10% buff.

However, pet can be useful sometimes. In M+, they can provide purge and BL. Both of these abilities can be used by Rays/Bats, so I recommend you to have one just in case - you can call it on bosses for BL and dismiss after combat. Keep in mind that Lone Wolf buff re-applies after a pretty big time since you dismiss your pet (~20 secs IIRC).

In openworld, your pet is your free tank even after you hit 120 - MM itself is very squishy and needs a frontline.

However, while you’re not a hardcore raider/key pusher, it’s your personal choice.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback guys,thank you very much.

So pretty much with no pet in raids and dungeons and if i want the extra help while questing i can use the pet.

Also if you don’t mind me asking.Does MM have to cast aimed shot or you only use them when it procs and is instant ?

Or to put it better, what’s the actual MM rotation ?

Aimed shot is mandatory part of rotation.

Instant procs of Aimed caused by your tier 7 talent Lock and Load, which realistically should be changed to Calling The Shots later, if you’re going to raids/keys - this talent is nearly obligatory for hi-end PvE. L&L isn’t that bad (I’m runnin’ with it myself), but it’s sorta RNG-based, and for long-time battles Calling The Shots is just better in all ways.

Now about actual rotation - it’s pretty simple. Always keep your Aimed Shot off cooldown - don’t dump it, it’s your main damage ability. Cast Arcane Shot for 1 target/Multishot for 3 and more targets when precise shot (proc caused by Aimed) is active. Always use your Rapid Fire on cooldown, but try to not overcap your focus and use Rapid when you’re on ~70 focus or below. When you have no Aimed/Rapid charges, Precise shots buffs or you just ran out of focus - cast your Steady shot as a filler.

Multi-target rotation baseline is: whenever you hit 3 or more targets with Multi-shot, your next Aimed and Rapid will reflect to all targets surrounding your main target. Play around that on AoE situations, it’s pretty intuitively.

And one more. While leveling, it’s pretty hard to execute and understand full rotation and potential of MM. You can be discouraged by its weakness and powerless on leveling, but point is - MM really starts to shine only with okay-ish gear and right Traits. Keep it in mind. I recommend you to switch to Surv/BM while leveling and switch back to MM after you hit at least 340-350 ilvl - they are more healthy and just feels better pre-120. It’s not obligatory, just a personal recomendation.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the time you spent giving me all this information.

A lot of useful tips and suggestions, i will try and put them to good use.

I don’t find leveling too difficult in order to require a spec change but i’ll consider it.I just find MM more fun then BM overall, even though BM is ok as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.