Moment of realization: Why certain M+ dungeons are way harder than others? and how to fix it!

I’ve ran more than 200+ runs this season via puging across my alts and my main (BDK), I enjoy alts and not so much pushing, hence most of my runs were ranging between 15-21+

I listed all the “Tricky” and “Hard” moments in each dungeons in an excel sheet and I came to realizations, those moment 9 of 10 depends on dps to do certain mechanics

I will give few examples from my finding:

• last boss at RISE: the orb mechanics mostly goes on into dps to take care of it in pugs
  • 2nd and 3rd bosses at Everbloom: if you dont bait or press deffisives even on (16+) its almost one shot to dps, (I think to require the healer or dps in low key to have speed reaction is too much)

and the list goes on…

my solution is simple:

• instead of huge one shot mechanics replace it with reducing dmg on dps as a debuff if they fail to do the certain mechanics (this will make sure the punishments’ on dps (for facerolling without putting interrupt in their keybind)
  • nerf defensives and nerf AoE dmg in dungon meanwhile maybe increase our HP pool while you at it

I want to know what do you think about this guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

So we want to kill the “bad guys” in dungeons and their response is to allow that to happen, but slightly slower if we do it badly?

What are you actually achieving here? If dps die the dungeon is slowed down. If they fail mechanics they do less dps so the run is slowed down?

1 Like

I kinda disagree with mechanics you can certainly avoid. The things you mention are completely avoidable and don’t kill the group if no one fails.

Problem for heals this whole expansion is damage spikes for baseline mechanics (stuff you cant avoid) that’s what they need to address

Well, from a healer perspective I can give you some points:

A) So the 2nd boss of Everbloom is not that big of a deal really. Its mostly rot damage so any healer should and can deal with it. Sure, its not an easy boss, but nothing special about it.

B) The 3rd one on the other hand does have a problem. The cynderbolts are random and unpredictable. And the RNG of it is what makes it tough to heal.

All other bosses that are complex to heal in M+ have that RNG component. AoE mechanics, or hard hitting ST shots are not an issue to heal (especially in 20s) as long as you know WHO its targeting beforehand.

But its not the case. There are some bosses (EB 3rd, WM 2nd, ToT 3rd to name a few) that dont tell you who will receive the damage. And that is HUGE.

And that is what needs to be fixed. RNG and unknown targeting.

1 Like

Unknown targeting is the main issue here, I think. When the target is known ahead of time, more responsibility is put on the dps (to use defensives and immunities). Unknown targeting puts most of the responsibility onto the healer while also preventing them from getting the heals set up on the targeted player ahead of time.

1 Like

I don’t know but in 20s no aoe mechanics kills the group even without defensives.
I think the exception might be deios and that is annoying because the dmg happens when you also have to move which makes healers that cannot heal while moving quite crap at that boss. the orbs are not really the issue here

but you don’t take instantly huge dmg from spikes, it has a second or so before it ticks, no?

at least on a 20 is doesn’t even come close to a one shot and one dot you can always dispel. Maybe it oneshots you on a 30 and then it is an issue because it is rng and you cannot press a def cd all the time like in freehold first boss?

at least for 20s there is currently no larger issue. There are 4 bosses that I hate more than others and those are all in DOTI… many of those require you to heal while you are also moving around. Also the dmg hits so hard that fistweaving is not even close to cut it.

120% correct. You do have a point that all these bosses are not an issue in 20s. Thats for sure.

But in 26s which is what I am attempting its coming close to being 1 shot. Or a 2-shot atleast.

But it can tricke down to 20s as well in some cases, depending on the quality of the healer.

The 3rd boss of ToT for example, how long you take to dispell can kill a person. So if you take less than 1s to dispell the dude, he only takes the initial damage of the dispell. So no biggie there.

If you dont, the guy can die or the encounter spiral out of controll really fast. Compounded with DDs that dont use deff CDs properly, or a tank that struggles with totems can put a lot of strain on the healer and cause deaths.

But if the healer is a person with the skill to do 25s, but voluntarelly chooses to do 20s (for whatever legit reasons) then yes. Its not a big deal.

Which is kinda the discussion here: Why do you need a 25 skilled player to do 20s. When by changing 1 thing in boss mechanics you can equalize that value to: 20s == 20 skilled player.

1 Like

mh at least on 20s I didn’t encounter that problem because after 4 flame shocks you will encounter a phase where you have to let one tick to the end because there will be 2 flame shocks active and you only can dispel one.
On higher levels you will certainly be reliant on your dds using def cds for the ticks. the instant dmg is then for sure a problem if the dd and healer are not instantly reacting.

don’t know if i am a healer with skill for 25s, I am doing 20s because I don’t really to bear more than 20s with pugs :stuck_out_tongue:

i guess it is hard to measure. I think your reaction time should be fast in a 20s or you should be disqualified to do 20s, after all it is the highest content measured by rewards.

It can get out of control really fast. The reason you get overlaping flame shocks is because its de-sinked to the CD of the dispell.

If you take more than “instant dispel”, the time it takes to have 2 flame shocks you cant dispel simultaneously is much shorter. Simply because you desink even further the CD of dispel.

Also DDs could have the best intentions, but they cant pop a CD to avoid the initial damage of flame shock (the main issue here) if they don’t know they are being targeted.

Highest content that yields rewards is not a criteria to cap difficulty. There are more difficulties beyond that.

The fact that you voluntarily choose to cap yourself at 20s is a legit reason to do so, but still proves my point. You could do 25s (I guess) but you do 20s. Expecting everyone to have your skill is not a fair way to judge difficulty IMO.

It should not have to be like that.

With the current differences between dungeons it is hard to say you are a +20 or a +25 healer :grin: I had already a weekly run of tyrannical Atal +26 and that one is actually very doable. For now i haven’t managed to kill 1 boss in Rise on higher than +20 :joy:

Forget Rise.

I…
Hate…
That…
Place…

Its simply so disgustingly unfair. And mind you, ALL bosses except maybe the last boss on P2 are not healer checks. At ALL.

So 1 mistake from 1 person (not even a wipe, just not uber efficient dps) , and the timer being as tight as it is, makes it so you dont time it.

Its just redonculous… Also Fall 2nd boss and its mega long list of bugs where you get double-tapped by the debuff and die…

Its just insane how much tooning DOTI requires. And im frustrated because Tazavesh was a masterpeice of a dungeon. An yet, the iconic mid-expansion mega dungeon is so… very… dissapointing…

I will try to time both DOTI dungeons in 25. And that… is… IT. I wont step foot in there ever again until tuning.

Timing dungeons on +25 is sort of the goal for me on the non-DOTI dungeons. And the DOTI’s on +20. So i still need a +20 tyrannical Rise for that.

I would 100% gladly go with you to achieve your goals. Sounds like fun.

Shame that you are a healer too, and there can only be 1. And I am a REALLY bad dps. I would be trolling if I went as a dps.

Thanks :grin: I will be fine, also when i will not make the goal completely :slight_smile:

yea rise feels terrible.
All bosses have crazy heal checks and also movement checks at the same time.

I hate deios with passion.
And who doesn’t love that in pugs everyone just triggers 5 time traps instead of ccing adds :smiley:

Well healers have to deal with all sorts of mechanics. If we dont you die so why is this a problem that dps have to do it for once?

Not at all what i said. I dont know why you quoted me to come up with that.

I’d say go for it… pugs become way nicer to play in at 23/24+

And agree with Uda… its the huge unavoidable spikes thats an issue, not the predictable dmg.

If you’re a ranged player, tell your grp you’ll do it…
When i play ranged i always do it, because i assume everyone is clueless, the result, I’ve never wiped on that boss, ever.
If your group is failing to this mechanic, you dont derserve to time the key.

Or accept how good/bad you are at the game and actually learn.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.