Monitor advice please (IPS / TN choice?)

I need a new monitor and I am now looking at:

• Asus PB277Q (27’’ 2560 x 1440, TN, 1 ms)
    versus
  • Asus PB278QR (27’’ 2560 x 1440, IPS, 5 ms)

I understand that IPS is better for design use and TN for gaming… but is there really not a way to ‘have it all’ as I feel I have had so far? :-/

My OLD monitor was a IIYAMA PL2201W (22" 1680x1050, TN, 2 ms) which I feel has performed to my needs in every field for both Photoshop design, video editing AND gaming.

So I have tried an Asus VS278H (27" 1920 x 1080 TN 1 ms) foolishly thinking it may be an upgrade… but NOPE, found it TERRIBLE… extremely washed out and fuzzy, with back-bleeding issues, and the colors were so bright and saturated no amount of calibration could sort them for decent Photoshop use. I returned it as soon as I could.

But now I am so troubled… for I want my wow to run as smooth as possible, and yet I also need a monitor that allows me to do my design jobs. It does not need be perfect (budget, hehe) but I would like it to perform at the very least as well as the previous one (no worse colors / no more ghosting)!

And nope, unfortunately I cannot have two different ones as they would not fit on my desk. :smiley:

Right, and my videocard is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 in case you were wondering.

Advice? I would consider whichever other brand… in the same price range obviously. (<300EUR)

I go for IPS all the way. Anything less than 8ms is Ok.

1 Like

I have the Asus PG279 which is pretty fine for a G-Sync IPS monitor, works up to 144hz and even with it’s 5ms, there’s not much ghosting I can see.

Better viewing angles and colour does a lot for gaming really. I find some TN’s to be a bit washed out in colour and moreso due to the very limited viewing angles on those panels.

1 Like

TN panels are generally faster pixel response; that’s it… all the rest that is better is in IPS panels.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.