Monitor advice

Hey guys!

I am planning on buying a new monitor and so far found two that I like and which are within my budget.

1. Dell S2712HGF (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/S2721HGF-Curved-FreeSync-NVIDIA-G-Sync/dp/B08FRJBSHQ/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=gaming%2Bmonitor%2B27%2Bzoll%2B4k&qid=1623837375&sr=8-21&th=1)
  2. LG 29UM69G (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B06Y634VP9?pf_rd_r=K0WE78V0E3KZ0XE2Q96P&pf_rd_p=f6634045-2cd8-4654-8338-b9246a89c6f1&pd_rd_r=9fe4f31d-d338-4f48-9ca0-5ed1e7735714&pd_rd_w=jsgiU&pd_rd_wg=xGF3m&ref_=pd_gw_unk&th=1)

Currently, I am using a Ryzen 5 2400g build without a GPU. I am planning on buying a GPU when prices drop (whenever that will be).

I will use this Monitor for Gaming (WoW retail and classic; from time to time other games like Overwatch and Heros of the Storm, but mainly and most importantly WoW) and working (reading, writing and stats with R).

I believe the Dell monitor to be a better investment for the future but maybe too much for my current build? I also like the LG for being an ultrawide which I imagine is awesome for WoW and working (especially reading papers, writing and doing stats and seeing all at once).

Would be cool to get hear what you guys think would be the better option for me! Of course I am open to alternatives.

Thank you!

okay i tried to have a look at alternatives but i’ll be honest amazon’s website drives me crazy.

what makes you think the dell is a better investment? i think they’re pretty similar in that regard.

in any case, particularly as you play overwatch, but for wow as well. look for a monitor that is 120hz or higher, the dell you’ve found is 144hz which is great. this is how many images per second the monitor can display (which also relies on having a high framerate). it makes a big difference to fluidity and responsiveness.

ideally i’d like to be in the 2560x1440 area but it seems to be a little higher up price wise. i see you’ve searched for 4k, the dell is not 4k it’s 1080p. 24" (or 29" for an ultrawide - it’s similar but just wider) feels like about the limit for what works well at 1080p. once you go to 27" or higher the pixels get too large and it starts to not look so good.

ultrawide is lovely for wow, however do keep in mind in overwatch you play with black bars to turn it into 16:9 (would be unfair otherwise as you’d be able to see more than others). i really enjoy my ultrawide, but i don’t know if it’s something you can make work in this price range without making sacrifices elsewhere.

when it comes to panel type: if you look at your monitor from odd angles sometimes, look for IPS and accept nothing else. if you only look at your monitor from straight on, both IPS and VA will work well for you. if it helps, the LG you’ve linked is IPS and the Dell is VA. i found the Dell’s panel type by googling because it’s not listed on amazon, so that may help you for other monitors you find as well.

to sum up:
ideally 2560x1440, but if you can’t then 2560x1080 or 1920x1080 will work.
ideally stay at 24" (or 29" ultrawide) at 1920x1080 or you may not like how the monitor looks
look for a monitor that is 120hz or higher
if you look at the monitor from various angles, buy an IPS panel, otherwise IPS and VA will both work well

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.