Mouseover Macros for idiots

Is it possible to set these up on the default wow interface? I want to set these up to heal on a resto shaman yet can’t seem to reproduce what I see in guides and videos, even after downloading the clique addon as suggested.

Could someone please give me an idiot proof explanation on how to set them up?

3 Likes

Absolutely!

/M opens the macro window, create a new macro there. Use this for basic;

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover, help, nodead] SPELLNAMEHERE

Replace help with harm if you need a damage mouseover, maybe your dots or something.

Hope that helps - a quick google search of ‘mouseover macro wow’ or something will set you on the path!

47 Likes

Yours wont do anything if the mouse has no valid target.
To do so you add a 2nd target case.

1. /use [@mouseover, exists] spell
    to cast the spell on whatever your cursor is pointing at
  2. /use [@mouseover, exists] spell; spell
    the 2nd spell might be something totally different, if its the same you will use it on your currently selected target or use default targeting behaviour

You dont need to check for help or harm if you dont mix damaging and healing spells in a single macro, but having a nodead check can be used for combat ress or reviving on the same button after combat.

38 Likes

If you want to use default target behaviour as alternative state, you may as well use

/cast [@mouseover, exists] [] spell

if you don’t want to use a different ability anyways.

https://www.wowhead.com/making-a-macro-commands-modifiers-warcraft-guide can be useful for some global information regarding Macros.

18 Likes

Thanks guys, this has all been very helpful, but there is still one thing I’m not sure about. How, if possible, would I be able to set up a macro, for example for riptide, where if I don’t have a target it would cast on myself?

5 Likes

Within a current macro? Otherwise this is default behaviour right? Then add the [@player] bracket in a macro.

/cast [@mouseover] [@player] Riptide

If you hover over a target with your mouse; cast it on that target. Otherwise cast it on yourself.

Or

/cast [@mouseover] [] Riptide

If you hover over a target with your mouse; cast it on that target. Otherwise use the default targeting/casting rules.

15 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.