Multiboxing ruining AH economy

For the past 2-3 weeks I've been looking at how the AH herb prices have been slowly but surely dropping in price with a lot of people posting stacks of 200 out of nowhere and for herbs that take quite a bit of time to collect.

I initially thought that it's just the normal auction sniping bs but lo' and behold, this guy with 10+ accounts shows up and starts collecting everything around.

It's not hard to imagine then, just how much damage a person like that can do to a realm's economy with the sheer amount of herbs that they can collect in one hour and that can easily afford to undercut everyone else and set their own prices because for him 1hr of work is 10+hours for us.

Multiboxing has been a hot topic for quite a while now and I understand that it's just more $$$ for Blizz, but this is negatively affecting players and there's no doubt in my mind that there's many others multiboxing and messing AH's left and right.

This game has enough issues as is and surely something can be done about it.
6 Likes
economy ?
just pretend u are a new player and then u have to check AH prices, f.e. buying gear, some stuff for crafting ? u just cant affort it. because the prices are total madness.

guys with lots of gold buying cheap stuff to sell it expensive etc..
there is no chance for new players - other then get gold for free or buy it with real money.

so the AH "economy" has different sides. and i dont mind low prices for a change.
but greed will allways advice u differently
1 Like
31/10/2018 04:14Posted by Gunnycash
economy ?
just pretend u are a new player and then u have to check AH prices, f.e. buying gear, some stuff for crafting ? u just cant affort it. because the prices are total madness.

guys with lots of gold buying cheap stuff to sell it expensive etc..
there is no chance for new players - other then get gold for free or buy it with real money.

so the AH "economy" has different sides. and i dont mind low prices for a change.
but greed will allways advice u differently

That's true, but those prices usually equate to supply/demand/effort and BFA has been out for long enough that they are now past the point of inflated numbers.

Multiboxing is a different thing and it affects everyone since we all need flasks, pots, runes etc.
Spending an hour collecting herbs might not be stressful work but it's still time that you have to spend doing, and to have someone completely stomp over you by just multiboxing and making that time spent completely useless doesn't give you much sense of a reward when Basement Billy with his 20 accounts manipulates the entire market.
2 Likes
I multibox myself with 7 accounts and I do see your issue and I empathise. I understand the frustration for a single player with one character.

The reason I do this is because I cannot compete with the sheer volume of bots otherwise. They have no regard for herb prices and drive them down because they don't value their time. They press one button and go for potentially 100s of hours.

They are the guys undercutting a herb by 5-10g rather than 1c.

I multibox so I can actually make a decent amount of gold per hour and compete with botters by having a large volume of herbs. The normal single player is caught in the middle and struggles to make gold. However, until the bot problem is resolved, which I doubt it will be, I will continue to multibox to ensure I can make a decent GPH.
Human logic, can't beat the problem, so I'll just become part of it...

As long as Blizz tolerates multiboxing (which they will as it brings in extra dollars) the problem will continue...

It's making it damn hard for Joe Normal to make a 'living' in the game... I used to be able to get over 150 anchor weed in a 2 hour farm run, now I'm lucky to get a third of that as all the multiboxers/bots jump on them the second the nodes spawn and 10 seconds later, they're gone.

I switched to skinning to make gold for a while, till people started tagging the mobs I pulled just before I kill them and then try to make off with the skins. Rogues seems to be the preferred class for this, though mages are also popular with the ranged aoe. Only thing you can do is not loot the mobs and watch them despawn, so nobody gets anything. Annoying both ways, but at least they don't make off with your work.
1 Like
I play on one of the busiest raiding severs and I am aware of only two mutliboxers, myself being one of them. The other guy hasn't even been online in over 10 days.

We are human players who take breaks, go to work, do other things. My total herbing for the week is probably 10 hours which equates to 70 hours. Though a bot is closer to 120 hours + if it's a suicide bot and there are dozens of them on my server.

I suppose they tolerate mutliboxers because at least we are interacting with everything we do.

Mutliboxers don't steal herbs. I am 90% sure you hardly ever see 10 characters on a multibox train. They do exist but most people have 8 and the reason for that is so they all can share the pathfinder achievemt for 20% speed on the one bsttlenet account . It's also not optimal due to if someone else is on your route you won't be collecting 10 herbs every time. So there should nearly always be at least 1 or 2 herbs left to pick on a node.
31/10/2018 00:02Posted by Mischif
For the past 2-3 weeks I've been looking at how the AH herb prices have been slowly but surely dropping in price with a lot of people posting stacks of 200 out of nowhere and for herbs that take quite a bit of time to collect.

Everyone and their mother has been told to pick up herbalism to earn gold. That's probably where you have the core of your problem.
2 Likes
03/11/2018 10:58Posted by Aylish
31/10/2018 00:02Posted by Mischif

Everyone and their mother has been told to pick up herbalism to earn gold. That's probably where you have the core of your problem.

If only, as there's 10-15+ stacks of 200 anchor weed posted by the same people. Botting is of course a very real issue still as I see a handful of bots at least every day, but 1 anchor weed gives on avg 5 of them, so if u have 10 alts do that at once, that's at least 50 you just got from one herb and because they collect so much of it they just keep undercutting everyone whenever they want and by how much they want, so much so that right now most herbs have dropped in price by half since 3weeks ago, and I never saw this multiboxer until a week ago and now it's a daily occurrence.
1 Like
03/11/2018 11:55Posted by Mischif
<span class="truncated">...</span>

If only, as there's 10-15+ stacks of 200 anchor weed posted by the same people. Botting is of course a very real issue still as I see a handful of bots at least every day, but 1 anchor weed gives on avg 5 of them, so if u have 10 alts do that at once, that's at least 50 you just got from one herb and because they collect so much of it they just keep undercutting everyone whenever they want and by how much they want, so much so that right now most herbs have dropped in price by half since 3weeks ago, and I never saw this multiboxer until a week ago and now it's a daily occurrence.

Might still be that it's caused by everyone and their mother picking up herbalism. The prices was not sustainable(actually, happens every expansion - Prices go very high the first few weeks, then they start dropping). While others might not be selling herbs at the auction house, a lot of people pick up herbalism to be able to farm things on their own. Especially this expansion where gold count has gone down for people who don't earn gold through the AH. Regular gameplay which would previously increase your gold count slowly over time, has been draining people quite badly. It's simply a connected system which multiboxers can't be solely blaimed for, and those of you selling at the auction house can't go on draining the buyers forever, because the buyers are running out of money to buy your wares(those not seeling anything at the AH goes out of money before those who do, as gold is created through gameplay, and not the AH. The AH just shuffles the gold around)

We've reached a point now where a lot of people have had time to level up alts with herbalism too, if they don't have it on their main. I know a few of these people and I am doing it this way myself, except I started leveling my herbalist shortly after getting my main to 120, so I personally never used the AH. This means more people can opt out of buying at the auction house, if they previously were "forced".
1 Like
Too many people with herbalism can of course lead to inflation, but it's definitely not them controlling the prices, the issue is that these select few people consistently undercut everyone and by ridiculous stack amounts.

I doubt that Casual Billy is farming 1k anchor weed before he decides to post it on the AH. It's just the same people with the same crazy stack count that keep posting and undercutting your average player, something that wasn't the case a few weeks ago.

In the grand scale of things it might seem that a multiboxer is a small bump in the road, but will people buy anchor weed at 300g, or 150g ? and these people don't undercut by 5%...they have a big enough supply that undercutting everyone by a crazy amount is feasible as long as they get to sell and because of that everyone else is forced to drop their prices in order to compete.
1 Like
Ah prices on stuff are just insane. But i post the "suggested" price to stop them from being flipped for even more profit. Sold a TBC blue wrist yesterday for 4000 gold and i nearly S&^% myself.

I also blame the wow token for the insane AH prices. I saw items listed for over 300.000 gold and that represents over three months playing time paid for in a single transaction.

I am not a sucker. I sell and only buy crap if i am too lazy to go to the vendor only to find out somebody is camping the spot for the items and i ran for nothing. Quests sometimes ask for stuff i cant make so hav eto buy it. If its too insane i aks in chat. 300.000 for a piece of armor. The wow world has gone insane. Who can afford that? I have a grand totol of 130k and that is from the end of WOTLK through to where we are . Although i only stick around for a month, max 3 months, after every xpac. But still. I have lore master in all but WOTLK and MOP. Even then i am ony missing a few zones total. To give you an idea of how long in game time i have in.

Well to be honest that the herb prices are dropping is a good thing. They have been far too expensive for a very long time, causing severe issues to the economy by themselves. As far as I know most guilds will have people using pre-pots and flasks for most progression content, which in turns keep the demands pretty high on these sort of materials.

But the prices themselves do not reflect the overall income of the average player. Which in some cases even are lower then their repair bills. As a selfreliant player i rarely spend gold for any activity however, If i were to sustain myself without this mindset a week of raiding whould be;

• 30~x Replenishment Potions ~125-150g / piece. 4500 gold.
  • 3x3 Flasks(not counting my buff for this) ~1000 - 1500 / piece, 13 500 gold.
  • 40-50 Intellect Pots ~150-175 / piece, 8 750 gold

Then add food, drums and scrolls eventual flask and ordinary mana pots for mythic+ uses etc. These things can easially become about 30k gold a week + repair bills. Were do ordinary not selfsufficient people get this gold from? Well selling herbs ofcourse which are the great big fat elephant in the room already.

Not everyone have old riches from bloated missionboard rewards etc.

The problem is not multiboxers, but the 100’s of botters using druid cat form with stealth to avoid getting reported, in legion it was also rogues.

fun fact i’m just watching a mutliboxing bot, does that count as multiboxing or botting now? hell i even have screen shots of of it being done :confused: and guess what blizz doing nothing about it… whats new

Herb prices always dip towards the end of the season, less people playing and better gear for easy reclears means people don’t need the flasks, potions, tomes and war-scrolls as much so people don’t need herbs as much. Not rocket science.

I multibox and I know myself and the others on my server either don’t bother or do it maybe a few hours a week.

There are bots (druid stealth bots) that have been active since January, so going on nearly 5 months now. I myself have reported the two on my realm god only knows how many times and the others from other realms I end up in a shard with. I know Blizzard have banned bots, I have seen loads of them disappear of the past few months, yet it baffles me as to why they have a report player function, when clearly nothing is done about it. I wouldn’t mind but these bots are online 24/7 so how can it be acceptable and nothing done about it for so long :frowning:

Yesterday I saw a stack of 4 (horde) characters riding around in a cluster, going from one ore vein to another. They’d get there, stop, then they would mine the ore one character at a time. Then off to the next, repeat.

Gee, I wonder if it was a multiboxer… /sarcasm off

1 Like

Hi there Nylu,

It seems you accidentally resurrected an older thread from a couple of years ago.

That said, in case you missed it we made some changes to what’s allowed when it comes to playing multiple accounts both back in November of last year as well as more recently.

You can read more about the changes in this post:

Or check out the relevant support article here:

I’ll close the thread here since most of the posts were made when the landscape looked quite different.

Best of luck with the profession leveling though and of course don’t hesitate to start a new thread in the appropriate section if there was something else you wanted to discuss.