MW caster version, where?

Does anyone has any build for a MW caster version?

I cannot see the caster version working in M+ or even in Raid. At least at the same level numbers than the fistweaver.

Do you know if Blizzard is going to balance the number to make both build version viable or this expansion MW in PVE = melee firstwaver?

Thanks

1 Like

Likely not, one will be the better one and i imagine it will be fistweaving as its the more unique path for mistweaver.

Blizzard rarely balance in such ways multiple builds are viable.

However no nothings confirmed to if blizzard plans to tune mistweaver

Truth be told, unless caster version of Mistweaver ends substancially more, or the raid mechanics will favor them I do not see Blizzard being able to make that style work without flat out giving way for range DPS abilities.

Fistweaving, by the looks of it, does decent levels of healing currently, but on top of that also does damage, which is good from a raiding standpoint, and a major selling point compared to caster playstyle.

It is also pretty hard to balance, because the original design of MW is to be a melee-centric healer, and for this reason they enjoy some melee specific benefits such as not being targetted by most ranged mechanics.

If tuning turns out well than caster playstyle will not be far behind enough to matter for your average normal and heroic raiding guilds, but I feel for anything higher fistweaving will be the way to go, unless they seriously undertune the melee build.

The inherent flaw of caster build will always be that it does not bring the amount of damage to the table the fistweaving build will. For casual levels both should be viable since people will start overgearing content fast enough for it not to matter.

tbh, i think blizzard at this point does intentionally sway it into Fistweavers position, and tbh i cant really blame them. so i cant see it being balanced well tbh… atleast i wouldnt put ur eggs in that basket.

Fistweaving is Unique to Monk, if they disgarded its Unique capabilities to make it play like a holy priest i think it’d be rather bland. Standard “casters” are fine. but i dont think every class should really be one.

I personally would not say that Fistweaving is unique to monks, as there are two other specs that replicate what we do in different forms: Holy paladin and Disc priest.

Disc in particular feel like a ranged version of MW’s fistweaving (in the way that it uses the same tag players with atonement and then heal/shield through a DPS rotation) while paladins primarily DPS as well, though in their case DPS is a byproduct of resource generation.

Whether caster monk makes a comeback or not does not primarily affect me, because even if it does I feel Fistweaving will still be the dominant style in M+, where healer damage is also an important part of pushing keys.

Even if caster monk will be stronger in terms of HPS in raids it will depend on your healer comp on what you will need more. Doing more damage while also healing is a playstyle that can never go wrong, and I personally hope that Fistweaving will not end up feeling like it was this last tier: Really good burst healing windows, while your DPS felt extremely meh on the side.

I think they will try to support both builds. Fistweaving is comonly considered a bad spec in PVP, so Blizz has to let Caster Monk being something. Will it be what players want in PVE or be as competitive? I dont know, but i assume the reason of everyone only playing Fistweaving to be due to the fact it was pretty exciting to see it return for thos who disliked the SL iteration and because Caster MW enjoyers have probably abandoned the spec since BFA.

Personnally, i’m a fistweaver fan, and i fear Caster Monk could become meta at some point in the expansion. Everything will depend on the patch content, tier set and eventual patch borrowed power that could appear.

It will depend on the content, but out of all three high end content (raiding, M+ and PvP) I see the caster build working out better in normal, heroic, and in particular mythic fights.

For M+ only lower to mid level keys will be the place where you will meet them, but if there is a place where Fistweaving will dominate will be M+, as the importance of healer DPS is magnified more in that particular content.

I’m playing with this caster build : https://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/monk/mistweaver/DAOBUGUZFURFEIAgQBUPVVEQUCSBZBQCAAQDAVA

It’s worth playing than the Fistweaver version (13k HPS / MW - 11k HPS / FW)

1 Like

What about dmg?

With my 283 ilvl :

• 11,6k HPS and 2,5k Dps in Fistweaver (average)

• 13,2k HPS and 0,6k Dps in Mistweaver (average)

With a pure Mistweaver we can do a 2/2/10 HM group instead of 2/3/9 HM.

Switching between Mistweaver or Fistweaver will depend on the quality of your group, you can’t burst healing in Fistweaver spec as you can’t do as much damages in Mistweaver spec.

Doing Dps when you can’t mantain your group alive is useless, it’s not your job, just switch job.

I would argue that you cannot do burst healing with it. The biggest difference between Mistweaver and Fistweaver is that with Fistweaving you have a bigger setup period.

That is its big advantage: Constant trickle healing with 30 second burst windows, and it is mana efficient to do so as well.

EDIT:
I am glad though if the differences aren’t that big between the two thus far, as I can just continue Fistweaving in raids as well as in dungeons.

the biggest thing about MW, caster or fistweaving, is that it has no big CD to use in a oh-sh*t moment. Revival is useless and just an aoe cleanse. Our Jade Serpent doesn’t heal amazingly well, so if a lot of unexpected aoe goes out and continues to do so we can’t do anything. We really need a big button CD. I played my Holy Priest all morning on Beta and I have at least 3 big buttons to push to get someone from 30% to 100%, or even get my whole party back up. Druid has 2 big ones, with Flourish on a short CD and Tranq being super OP and with a talent lowered to 2 minutes. Shamans kinda miss a big button but have Spirit Link and Healing Stream. Not great but ehh. Disco is in the garbage bin when it comes to sustained outgoing healing or DPS lol. As soon as unexpected aoe happens your party is dead if the healer is a Disc.

You could not burst, but thank to the combo “Rapid Diffusion”, “Enveloping Breath” with Yu’lon (not Chi’Ji) and “Tear of the Morning” you can, just by spaming Enveloping Mist while Yu’lon is active.

Don’t you think that a 20 sec Heroism every minute isn’t enough for a big button CD?

The button doesn’t heal party members to 100%, but it gives you the tools to perform a lot better in that 20 sec time window.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.