My disabled son - ‘the nobleman, the philanderer, the detective’

Much respect for sharing the story, of course my condolences to your community and their family. Found this quite moving, we lost a guildie in a car crash in guild I was in for a very long time and it sucks, makes you realise the impact people have on you despite never seeing them face to face.

3 Likes

I shed a little tear myself. I didn’t know Ibelin, I started RPing on WoW back in 2012, so perhaps I may have met him here and there. If so, I never RPed with him, but this story rings true to me.

I share the same feeling of love and accomplishment that one can have whilst exploring a world different from our own, being able to live in it and draw powerful and useful life experiences whilst having fun and making new friends along the way.

Perhaps it’s a silly thing to say, but I’ve become to accept the characters I have created here as a part of me. Sometimes I think of them as versions of me that exist somewhere else, they all derive from me but each of them have their own lives, dreams and accomplishments.

What makes it special is that, it is still you. It is as if you can live multiple lives at the same time and draw knowledge from them, even if it’s just little things here and there. Most importantly, you’re having a blast whilst doing so.

I know that WoW helped me in more ways than I can count, especially in ways that have affected my RL in a positive light. I wish you guys good luck in whatever you’re going to be doing in the future.

5 Likes

I think I need a hug after reading this.

As far as I can recall, I never had the pleasure to meet Ibelin, and I’m very sorry to read that I won’t have that chance. Much respect, much love.

6 Likes

I knew it was Argent Dawn when Rumour quipped about Goldshire and how it’s “Not very nice now, but back then it was a cool place to meet interesting characters”, heh.

Freely going to admit tearing up a bit by the end of the article. I’m so glad there was closure and a poignant, if not necessarily ‘happy’ ending to things. Just, yeah…
Peace, respect, love.

6 Likes

While Argent Dawn can be a very inhospitable place, it always restores my faith to see that genuine bonds can be forged and gain fulfillment from them when you are dealt a bad hand in life like Ibelin. I’m glad you sheltered him in your guild when you did, OP. You saved him from a life of loneliness and you have my respect.

9 Likes

I found this very sweet.

I have actually met some of the people mentioned in the article ingame. I definitely know Chit, from the Herald. And I may have seen Ibelin too. Unfortunately we never got to interact. I am sad to hear that he has passed away some time ago. I hope this also positively changes the outlook a little on what people have on gaming and online communities. For some people there simply is little else.

What is written in the article is what I feel has always been the strongest part of this game. And why I love AD.

ps: Amandale, return to your home, please! :smiley: Real SG yo!

6 Likes

I just might for the guild tag, at least! Good ol’ memories. Are you doing anything roleplay wise, these days?

2 Likes

I remember roleplaying with Ibelin many times back on Steamwheedle Cartel. It was a bit of a surprise to learn about his difficulties, and I remember feeling a bit like what Rumor was describing in that article, worried that any IC differences we had might somehow bring him discomfort in a space that meant so much to him. I never knew about his blog before but it feels nice, if a bit melancholy, knowing that he didn’t want anyone treating him differently in-game.

I’m delighted to see Chit pointing out how fortunate we are to have the opportunities given to us by new technology, World of Warcraft and similar online spaces. The way the article reads, it seems that the world surrounding Ibelin pitied him for the things he was missing out on, when in reality WoW-RP gave him so many important and wonderful things.

All in all this is a strong reminder that we really are partaking in a platinum-tier hobby. I’m so glad to have been doing it for many years, and I’m not about to leave any time soon :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This really touched me when I read it yesterday morning; I didn’t know Ibelin, but I’m sure in some way we all have our own Ibelins in our own little communities and guilds. After all, we have no idea what is going on behind the screens of those we play with. What daily struggles everyone has.

Everyone escapes from daily life with a vice. It could be catching up with your favourite TV Show or reading a book that immerses you in a different world. For us, it’s WoW, and no one can really understand just how important our online communities are to us until they become a part of one.

It’s heartwarming to read about how beautiful, friendly and welcoming Starlight and others like them are. We’re constantly being bombarded with negative media surrounding online gaming; so I’m genuinely pleased to see the contrary, and something that mirrors my own experiences over the decade I’ve played this game.

7 Likes

I always remember Ibelin from my time in Starlight, and his own investigation guild later on, he was a cool guy and someone I was always comfortable talking with. Since his passing he’s always stayed in my mind. I was surprised to see this article yesterday, but it was also very heartwarming, I’m glad that even now he’s brought so much positivity to so many.

5 Likes

I have no words. This has really touched me. I hope it can touch others too, and make us all realise that the internet isn’t just some dark, lonely space. I’ve made some great friends through this game and I will definitely endeavour to continue to make them, especially if there are more people as incredible as Ibelin out there.

4 Likes

Very touching. Sometimes, online communities aren’t that bad and provide genuine warmth and happiness in ways that’d otherwise be difficult.

5 Likes

My heart was filled with so much joy and sorrow reading that story <3

4 Likes

Never ran in to you lot though the name Starlight rings a bell no doubt. I shan’t give you the cliché though I’m worried I’d just contradict myself in saying that. I truly trust you lot are doing well and find yourselves together in whatever endeavour you find yourself in. May your friend rest in peace be it a tad prolonged for me to say so. Wishing you all the best.

Your friend
Kal

3 Likes

Thank you once again - for all those kind words!
I fully agree with what several others have said, this sort of story shows how gaming can have a positive impact, how valuable the communities we built are :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I haven’t been in retail in quite some time, but when I checked the news recently, it tugged at my strings a fair bit. Starlight has always been present in the many years I’ve played, so to hear in BBC News of all places of what happened gave me an idea that this article would be here.

I’m sorry to hear about Ibelin’s passing. While I have not personally interacted with them, rather only the guild, the story did a number on me that day. Here’s hoping you continue the work you do with gusto.

3 Likes

No, just in it for the name, though Amarae was active for some time some months back. I’ll have to ask her to give invite rights!

This is my viewpoint as well. Online gaming has gotten a lot of undeserved flak from people who do not understand what online gaming can be for people who find it difficult to make contact with other people in real life. Or are disabled and sitting at home.

3 Likes

I saw this on the news and shared it on Facebook. Had a very positive response from even those outside WoW.

4 Likes

Such a bittersweet story, rest in peace.

3 Likes

No, not really, it’s just me in it.

I mean, Obilot can try to bash criminals over the head, but handbags don’t really have the same impact as a huge hammer.

2 Likes