My disabled son - ‘the nobleman, the philanderer, the detective’

Starlight has been around since 2006, and most of you have probably not heard about us. We are not a big guild, or well known - but we have a good community. We are not alone in having built strong friendship through World of Warcraft, and feeling that the relationships we have made matters.

Recently that feeling of community and what it means to people came into focus with an article posted by NRK (Norways public broadcasting company), and now BBC has picked it up and it can be found here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/disability-47064773

You see, we had a member that some of you might have known through the name Ibelin or Jerome. Like many of Starlight, he started at Steamwheedle Cartel before moving to Argent Dawn. In 2014 he passed away, and NRK chose to tell the story about him, his family and the role gaming played in his life. Due to a terminal illness, his life was not destined to follow the A4 route, and his parents were worried that he would never forge bonds with others in a meaningful way, only to discover after their son’s death - the connections he had made through World of Warcraft.

The story is heartfelt, it is one that has had an impact in Norway, and now with BBC, it is likely to spread even further. Unlike many stories that are told about gaming, it casts gaming and the communities we build in a positive light. It shows those stand outside our hobby that gaming matters.

I am proud of the story and what it says about the communities that we, as gamers - have built. There are still many challenges to tackle in gaming culture. But we are also doing incredible things like; collaborating on stories, sharing experiences, and forging bonds across barriers, these are things that matter and make for a better world.

Ps. The story is not able to mention all the names of those that mattered to Ibelin/Jerome, or those that felt the loss of his passing. We wish it could have, both for the story and so that all would know they had been seen.

/Starlight
Find us at www.starlightguild.co.uk

109 Likes

It’s stories like these that kindle hope not just in the general goodness of the overwhelming majority of people on Argent Dawn, but for our generation in general.
Such a heart-touching story, it’s really warming to read. I hope you all continue being, in my honest opinion, an good example for the rest of us all to live up to.

14 Likes

Thank you for those kind words - There is so many good people out there, we have been lucky enough to get to know some of them well, and to RP with many more :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing the heartfelt story, Nomine. I agree with Lukas.

I cannot remember where I might have seen or talked with them in-game, but the name Jerome rings a bell. The feeling that I might have personally interacted with him though, made reading his story all the more emotional for me.

With all the toxic behaviour we hear on a frequent basis happening in the gaming communities, it genuinely warms me (edit: and in this case, also made me feel melancholic about his passing) to see such lasting bonds and good friendships forged in the game and extending beyond the fantasy realm.

17 Likes

I think it is easy to get caught up by the toxicity, it is easy to lash out, and people forget there is people behind toons, media keeps saying that gaming culture is toxic as well, which sort of gives permission to behave badly.

Which makes me extra happy that this sort of story is now picked up and by somebody as big as the BBC. Previously in Norway the comments/feedback have often been from parents saying it opened their eyes on the need to be interested in the gaming aspect of their kids lives. - That alone has lots of value.
So does saying “hey, the things we do matter, we matter to each other” :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Well, this is a long time coming.

See, when I was a lot younger and a very lonely, daft little runt, I ran into Ibelin. For a while, maybe 9 weeks, Ibelin was probably my best friend in WoW. Hell, in the world - I wasn’t doing too good.

But Redmoore never ever treated me with anything except kindness, understanding, and respect. He put real work into his character, and produced a well-rounded storyteller that it was always a pleasure to interact with. Davinrad played the rough, uncouth brute to his smooth, elegant noble, Ibelin. He introduced me to Starlight, which I promptly mucked up because I was, as previously noted, a bloody idiot.

But regardless, I saw his story this morning while browsing the News, and my heart broke a little inside. I doubt you guys remember me at all, honestly I was a young prick back then, but you guys helped me through an awful point in my life by distracting me. I never knew anything about Mats. Hell, maybe he meant a lot more to me than I did to him. Maybe I’m remembering this all wrong, and I was just a temporary annoyance to you guys, it was damn near 8 years ago.

But Ibelin was someone I liked, respected, and admired. I’m sorry for your loss, guys.

Nomine, I realise you guys probably have no idea who I am, but know you bunch and Redmoore were one of the only things that got me through my mother’s cancer diagnosis. So take care.

(Thought I’d post it with my renamed Davinrad instead of an old alt)

11 Likes

I wasn’t expecting to tear up at work. Thanks, AD.

Stories like this remind us why we all really play WoW and why we RP on it. Not to compete with each other, not to beat one another, but to play together and create stories together. It’s easy to forget that sometimes.

I didn’t know who Ibelin was before now, and I think it’s a great shame that I didn’t. I missed out on knowing someone who was so fondly remembered even now by those that did have the privilege.

I hope the rest of us can take his example to heart and play just for the thrill of being someone else in a world like Azeroth, and not take this community and possibility for granted.

14 Likes

I hadn’t had many interactions with neither Starlight nor Ibelin during my time on Alliance, but you lot were always on the periphery and seemed to have fun doing your own thing - I’m glad to hear that carried over into lasting, positive social bonds.

This event (and the fact that news picked up on it) is a precious reminder of why I got into World of Warcraft and in particular roleplay in the first place. Hopefully, as Loras mentioned, it can serve as an inspiration to be kind to one another.

Best of luck to all of you in Starlight with your future endeavours.

8 Likes

Oh, I remember running into you in Duskwood :smiley: Not always on the same side, if memory serves.

It is good words about Ibelin and you describe him really well. Back then he did not share anything about his real life struggles, he just wanted to be seen as the character - like you describe here :slight_smile:

I hope your mother are doing well (and you as well!)

8 Likes

Equally Amandale, it’s why I’ve stayed. Not for the gameplay, not for the RP itself - I could find that on a number of games or websites - but for the people I’ve met. I’ve made friends on AD that have lasted more than 7 years. And I wouldn’t trade those memories and connections for anything.

People like Ibelin and how they’re remembered encapsulate the potential for friendship and connection. We can only aspire to be considered as warmly as he clearly was - is.

12 Likes

There has been lots of chopped onion near me the last few days… -coughs-

The community is what we build, what we make it - And to make good communities, I think it is important to hear and feel that the good things are being seen :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am. I grew up good, haha! I’ll throw you guys a line next time I’m on, but Starlight and Ibelin were the first taste of a real community I ever had.

I just know that Ibelin took a socially awkward little 16 year old mutt, and said ‘Give him a chance!’. We talked for hours about lore, about our characters, about Redmoore’s fashion sense. He was a kind, gentle person when he had nothing to gain by it, and I’m sorry I didn’t know him longer.

You guys were, are, good. See ya around :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Damn. This is a very inspiring, heartbreaking and truly magnificent story of a group of people, who managed to bring friendship to a completely whole new level.

I have not met Ibelin during my time of roleplay and I honestly regret that, but all I can say is thank you, because of how powerful this story is - it goes far beyond simple gaming addiction and casual time-spending behind a PC monitor.

Perhaps it is too naive to think that - one day - Mats’ story will not just be worldwide, but also create an impact strong enough to change not only roleplaying community, but an overall attitude of people to each other.

5 Likes

Rings in the water -, add enough good ones and things will change :slight_smile: - So I hope is a step in the right direction, if not for showing non-gamers also how much good there is in our communities

6 Likes

Davinrad…i remember that name :slight_smile:Syrawenn here. Thanks for your kind words.

2 Likes

Just read this on the BBC site. Touching stuff

Btw are you also Nomine from ESO rp?

1 Like

This is really why online communities are so wonderful. And RPing, in particular, is so important!

Perhaps we should all light a candle on the anniversary this year? I will happily do so.

3 Likes

Most have been said in this thread that should be said but I still wanted to give my own feelings on this to just get it off my heart.

This article cheered me up, yes someone died which is always sad, but that someone, someone with a disease like this, not only had the heart and will to live 5 years longer than you normally would (according to the doctor in the article) but he was also able to touch so many people which is truly someone we all should aspire to be more like.
I personally don’t think if this happened to me I would be able to do what he did, so this is a person I can only admire with all my heart.

So Ibelin/Jerome, I might never have met or spoken to you, but I will certainly never stop admiring what an amazing strong person you were.

8 Likes

I used to be Nomine on ESO yes :slight_smile: - Before I went back to World of Warcraft, had some really good RP there, and meet good people there.

2 Likes

Holy crap. I do have a conscience.

I wish more people understood how important the digital world is to a lot of people. It would have made me a lot happier if my parents had taken an interest in my online dealings. I generally don’t find it as easy to connect with people in WoW’s current environment, or in MMORPGs in general so it’s touching to be brought back to that time.

R.I.P Ibelin/Jerome.

5 Likes