My disabled son - ‘the nobleman, the philanderer, the detective’

Thank you for posting this. I cried, but the story also warmed my heart.

1 Like

I love that this keeps coming back to the general discussion forum and that the Beeb have picked it up too.

Every time I read it it brings a tear to my eye.

3 Likes

The article has actually made it to the BBC News homepage now too, not just in a subsection as it was earlier today.

First position in the “Full Story” section.

I’d also like to thank Polgara on the US forum for posting a link to this thread from across the pond. Threads like this deserve to be read.

2 Likes

To be honest, I cried a little. Very touching story

3 Likes

I’ve alway seen online games at chat rooms with games tacked on, the people you encounter make the games for me;
I used to play a game way back called Legend of Mir and one of the first chars my baby warrior encountered was a taoist named Moonbeam, she took me under her wing and we became good friends in real life, where I found out that she suffered from crippling social anxiety and agoraphobia, to her online games were a way to deal with the outside world but on her terms;
She became a legend in our guild, helping people and never asking for anything in return;
She’s still doing her thing these days and we’re still in touch, God bless you Moon, love Anvi

5 Likes

The web and gaming opened up the world to this soul and reading his story is so sad but at the same time inspiring and heartening.

Gaming clearly meant so much to him and gave him immense joy and allowed him to forge friendships with like-minded people.

I see the same in my son. He has made so many friends from all over the world and his online life is a huge part of who he is.

It angers me that there is often nothing but negativity about gamers when the vast majority are simply making friends and having fun. Those that write about the apparent problems that gaming causes often sensationalise with no acknowledgement of the social or educational aspects.

It must be of some comfort to his family to know that Mats derived such enjoyment and that control of this was entirely his.

4 Likes

would like to apologize for my first answer without reading how serious this post was.

took the time to read the article and its just so touching :disappointed_relieved:

“Mats had written about the computer screen which he had sat in front of for over half his life: “It’s not a screen, it’s a gateway to wherever your heart desires.””

pretty much describes WoW for most players.

6 Likes

-Waves- Greetings from Starlight, we are kind of shocked over all the (positive) feedback this story have gotten and how it is a different story than those often told about and around gaming.

I am proud of the story and what it says about the communities that we, as gamers - have built. There are still many challenges to tackle in gaming culture. But we are also doing incredible things like; collaborating on stories, sharing experiences, and forging bonds across barriers, these are things that matter and make for a better world.

I also know that this sort of story, these sort of strong bonds are not unique to Starlight, RP servers etc, they can be found all over :slight_smile:

34 Likes

A truly beautiful example of what a difference a gaming community can make to the lives of not just one, but so many. I must admit, it quite effortlessly bypassed my Orcish stun resistance.

2 Likes

A sad, yet positive story that I am glad to have read :slight_smile:

Please never underestimate how much the social side of this game matters :slight_smile:

Everything that nudges people towards guilds and friends lists has the potential to change their life. WoW can help them forge the friendships that they’re struggling to find in reality, equalise people from many nations, lifestyles, and income groups, and potentially do people’s mental health an awful lot of good.

From a personal perspective, I suspect I’d have been a heck of an alcoholic through TBC and Wrath had I not had a strong guild and a reason to stay sober and be online. I won’t credit WoW with more than it’s due, but it would be fair to say I’d have been worse off today had it not been in my life at the time.

4 Likes

I was just browsing the BBC at work after completing one of my tasks, and this story appeared on the home page. After reading it, I had hoped someone posted about it on the forums, and sure enough, someone (Osangar) had <3

It is such a wonderful read, and it really makes me feel all warm to know that his guild, Starlight, holds memorials of him every year and keeps his memory in their hearts. Mats really is all of us–many of the bonds we build with people through this game (and gaming in general) are unbreakable. During the periods of my life when I had next to no real-life friends, especially when I lived in South Africa, I never felt alone. Geography’s physical barriers were ironically immaterial, and that is largely thanks to this game.

4 Likes

how touching.

would love to see that sort of friendship happen in the current game. But those days are gone.

I am so glad that I read this, sad as it is.
Some of the longest, most enduring friendships I have are with people I’ve never met, who I only know through their avatars, sometimes through our blogs and, in recent years,social media.

Be awesome to each other. You just never know what the other player is going thru.

2 Likes

This really spoke to me. I used to be very confident and outgoing however i have developed severe mental illness which means i struggle to go outside and cant work. The only people i see are my gf and my best mate who lives with us. Warcraft gives me a social life. I have so many friends i can laugh with play with and talk with all over europe. I feel part of something. I see a few parallels with the boy who died and how much WoW meant to him. It honestly made me cry

6 Likes

This is exactly how i feel about it.

1 Like

But they’re not. Starlight are still going strong as witnessed by Nominé posting a few posts above yours. They are there if you are willing to go look for them.

3 Likes

We lost a cherished member of our Guild last year, witch made it a hard read, no articles were written about him, but to many he was a friend just as real life friends are. his presence is sorely missed.

4 Likes

i read this on imgur yesterday and followed the links too the BBC article I’m approaching level 50 in real life and Mats Story had this old timer in tears so moving and beautifully written.

reading the article he loved wow and online gaming and his guild meant the world too him, outstanding that five of his Starlight Guild mates were able too be there for him and attend his send off, respect guys wonderful effort.

2 Likes

I havent cried for so long and hard as i did reading this sobed so hard much love to everyone.

4 Likes

Be awesome to each other. You just never know what the other player is going thru.

Love those words!

1 Like