My insane thoughts on Insanity :) (DF)

“Insanity” such a powerful term, used as the resource for Shadowpriests, but currently all it’s used for is a singular spender: Devouring Plague. The spell in itself is fine, but I personally find the lack of Insanity usage quite… maddening :kissing_heart:

First of all, I would love to see more ways for insanity to be used, other than just Devouring Plague, but getting to the point…

Insanity overflow - maybe not as prevalent for pvp as it is for pve, but it’s nonetheless an issue our pve brothers and sisters deal with. My idea/suggestion is: How about we redesign Devouring Plague into a version that perhaps start off with a lower lost(20, maybe?) with lower effect, but can then consume all our possessed insanity, for increased effect(kind of similar to feral bite), and in our DF spec tree, then have nodes that increase our maximum insanity rather than some of the utility bloat currently occupying the tree. This might serve to both lessen overstacking insanity, but also actually add notes to increase indirectly increase Devouring Plague that the tree currently has none of(except Sanuine Teachings).

Not a whole lot of points in this thread, but any thoughts are appreciated, for or against. :slight_smile:

I’m afraid this would invalidate Insanity pooling :frowning: if added for our only spender. What if we could choose between two spenders, where the other would dump more?

And a random thought: what about an automated Insanity overflow usage in the ballpark of mages’ Icicles?

1 Like

can you explain a bit? I primarily do pvp, and at most, casual pve, so not really too knowledgable about how exactly the pooling affects you all pve people. If it has anything to do with it, the effect of consuming more for increased effect, could naturally include Searing Nightmare as well.

I’m down for options, right now, I just feel like we have 100 insanity, but our only way to spend it costs 50/half) of it, which feels odd.

Like a version of Shadow Orbs or something? Doesn’t sound half bad either. :thinking:

Basically you save up Insanity over time (or abruptly) if you know you will need to switch to a priority target or you know that an AOE moment is imminent. This must be the same in PvP with Damnation into double DP, no? :slight_smile:

Currently there is nothing worse for Shadow damage than dotting up and scraping Insanity to get a DP out – you are missing out on DP damage, Mastery damage and Dark Thoughts procs without a DP rolling. This means that there is good value in a reasonable DP Insanity cost to be able to manage its uptime.

During Voidform, this, however, is not the case and the ‘dump all’ DP could really be an incredible addition :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you for being patient with my lack of pve knowledge, yes, that would be the same.

You know, I actually don’t hate this idea. :thinking:

This is the same in pvp, although most casters have some sort of build-up before being able to “go”. I’m not a game-designer so I couldn’t say if something like this is too strong, but I was thinking with your other message “automated flow” what if we had a passive regen of sorts, that let us regain up to 50 insanity out of combat(or when not casting?). So it wouldn’t affect in-combat itself, but let us start out with Devouring Plague?

Another thought I had regarding insanity, was if it could be remade into a combo point system of sorts instead, but haven’t thought more into this part.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.