My opinion, anybody else ?

Hello, I am old returting player to WoW and RP as well. I visited RP server and addon Totatl RP 3 as always on RP server. (also heads up for tons of grammar mistakes)
But lately I noticed something.
Purpose of Addon is to write about your character, his story, personality etc. Bassicly everything that you cannot see in-game.
We sure know all this but it is only me but I kinda find it, immerison breaking.
I think purpose of RP is to explore other characters, story what been tough, what they are like trough IC interaction not trough some window in-game telling you all about them.
What is purpose of RP then if not that ? If you come to character and see eveyrthing about them what purpose it has to interact with them ?
Dont get me wrong TRP3 is great addon and I love it !
I am just curius if there is some more people with this opionon.

From that 1 day i rp’d, i will give my opinion.

The addon is used to give some key points about each character. When you read it, you will know if you want to proceed to roleplay with that player.

I also think, that ic you don’t know this background, so you can initiate a rp experience by what you have read in the trp and try to gather information that way.

It’s not that inmersion breaking, cause you get an idea what kind of player the other is and naybe it will give you ideas to try!

Somethings i said may be wrong, as i only know things from other rp’ers, as i couldn’t last a day! I learned how difficult rp is!

Hope you enjoy the game!

I understand what addon is for. I am just asking if anybody else has this opionon on “Whats the points of Ic interaction if you read about character personality beforehand” etc.
I always RPed for expierence of discovering what are characters about and their story.

Nope, held that view for a long time. Hate the things and I think they’ve made RP and RPers worse over the long term as nobody describes their character anymore, just expects you to look at the addon. It’s uninspired and a waste.

If it’s important enough to for me to notice, mention it. I’m not reading your scribbles.

But it’s how WoWs RP as developed to the point it’s near mandatory.

1 Like

Exacly ! Addon itself isnt bad idea I think, but many people took it wrong way and expecting you to just read all about their characters.
Tough I still hoping to find some people IC that has this opionon as well. Makes RP a lot interesting this way !

You are not alone. I share that opinion along with Mithcha’s somewhat. Though I don’t use TRP3. But it’s the same no matter what RP addon you use.

I mostly write descriptions regarding my characters, and even then I try keep them somewhat short so they are easy to read, yet gives people the idea of the character’s appearance. That means minimum scrolling, or no scrolling of the page at all. Because same as I don’t bother read people’s descriptions if they are pages upon pages of every feature to the tiniest detail, I assume others won’t read mine if they are that long.

I never write personality traits or background. Because I don’t think they belong on a RP profile. These are things you’re supposed to find out through roleplaying. If I find your character intriguing I want to know them, I want to find out what their history is and why they do what they do. I don’t want it poured all over me in the most boring way possible. Why are we roleplaying if they are just going to spill all the beans straight away? It just takes the fun out of it. Nor does it make much sense.
Same with any storytelling medium. It’s all about show, don’t tell.
You can tell me how much you want, that your character is this and that. But if they don’t behave like it, then I’m not going to think they are.

The only exception to this I have, which is a thing I sometimes do. Is if it’s just minor things mentioned, or easy to know history. Like they served during a specific war, spent time in the stockades, hold lectures in the local library or some such. Just small side notes.
That can open up some great interactions and break the ice, without spoiling much…And hope people doesn’t metagame.

3 Likes

I am glad to see more people share this opinion, I agree on appreance part. where is imporant to just write what should people first notice on your character.
Regadless I am finding hard time to even find worth while good RPers that understand this in-game.

If you’re only walking around in Stormwind, then it’s unlikely you do.
With the possibility of sounding like a snob, I don’t really see the appeal of SW on Argent Dawn these days. It used to be nice. But now it’s so filled with misconceptions and behavior that goes against the setting, it breaks my immersion immensely.
Funny enough. Most of the time, it’s also from people who claim to be experienced.

Try find a RP guild that fits your character and look around in the world. Asking for current RP guilds on your server’s subforum, is the better way to do it, rather than asking in trade. Or simply though time when talking to people and roleplaying. Sooner or later you should find like-minded people!

1 Like

I noticed that SW walking isnt doing much, I am already looking for some suitable guild but everything needs time I guess.

I think it largely comes down to things that are visible, and things that are not. Oddly, for someone who types lots and lots to make a point, with my TRP’s I tend to be quite Spartan, what you get is what you can see. I’m not going to detail his one tattoo or why he got it, because 99% of the time no one will see it. You will however notice that he often walks with a bone cane these days, so that’s relevant, you will notice he is short for a male blood elf, so that stays in there, you will notice he has tiny silver arrowheads braided into his hair, as well as feathers.

I tend to regard it for “What do you first notice when you see this person?” rather than anything else. That all should come out in the RP. When it comes to MRP/TRP profiles I am a firm believer that ‘less is more’.

Well I do use TRP3 mainly cos I dont know of anyother addon that displays a second name/surname.

Pretty sure they all got that feature.

I’ve done my fair share of writing different texts and stuff through the years in my life, wow related or not, so I definitely can see why you’d want to write a full background story (guilty). I don’t usually read long text myself if they’re not very interesting written, but I don’t see any issue with people having it there, I always take it as that info is for -me- the player, not my character. But if you want more to read it it would probably be wise to shorten it down, you can have stories for you character on your AA page right? Haven’t really been there much. And honestly, writing it down is a way for me to remember my own story.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.