[N-RP - Antagonists] The Starfallen — Until the Very End

"The Faceless One called you all shuul’yahf. It means to call you dead souls for sins you will commit. But I refute its words; our souls are ours, our destiny ours. We are going to save as many as we can from the end.

You who have seen the stars fall - you are the only hope this world truly has. I hope I can count on your aid until the very end."

Until the very end,” came the response.

The Starfallen

Summary

The Starfallen are antagonists who seek to herald the end of Azeroth by summoning forth a powerful Void entity from beyond reality itself. Despite this, the cast of characters is not one of villains and they will not be accepted within their ranks.

They are individuals driven by a desperate need to survive an inevitable end that is coming their way. The Starfallen believe that what they are doing is a necessary means to an end and seek to save as many people as they can at the cost of damning millions.

No harm will come to the innocent without good reason as they believe that in their final days, suffering should be the least of their concerns. To that end, the Starfallen may actively fight villainous orders and individuals - if not to protect the weak, then to further their own goals.

Over time, those initiated will eventually uncover new layers of a complicated truth and must come to terms with the sacrifices they will have to make to defy fate itself.

Recruitment

Please reach out to me in-game or on Discord if you are interested. Below you will find a few hooks that may be used to get yourself introduced.

Hooks
  • Did you notice something amiss in the brilliant tapestry of the night? You are not alone and rumour has it that like-minded gather in Shattrath. Perhaps asking around in the World’s End Tavern may yield further results.
  • The Assembly of Dusk is a monthly event that occurs in Storm Peaks where many with interests in the Void gather. Perhaps answers may be found there about the mystery of the missing stars?
  • Posters often advertise a job that asks for adventurers to help find missing or dangerous artefacts in the Outlands before they are lost forever or end up in the wrong hands.
Contact

In-game: Sarvaad
Discord: foxesz

Organisation

While membership of the guild is not a requirement, there are a few roles within the Starfallen.

The Observers are those who have witnessed the fading of the stars and are at the lowest rung of the ladder. They have yet to prove themselves to the cause and are yet spared from knowing the true cost of their mission.

The Followers have witnessed the bargain and know what must be done. There is but one path to take if they wish anyone to survive the inevitable death of the cosmos. They are committed to the cause.

The Shepherds are those who are charismatic and devoted enough to help guide the rest of the Starfallen to their goal. They are privy to some of the darker truths of the Starfallen’s plan but will perform their duties diligently.

The Fallen Champions are a select few and can be considered the best the Starfallen have to offer. Though they take no leadership role, their presence is key to the plans of the Prophet and they act as personal agents and close confidants.

The Prophet is a traveller of the stars who seeks to challenge fate itself. He leads the Starfallen until the very end.

16 Likes

5 Likes
Penned in a spidery script by an attendee of the Assembly, and by an Observer of the Starfallen.

There is a path before me.

It is narrow and fades from sight like an ill-maintained dirt road, a product of wheels and hooves and feet, not flagstones. It is one that loses itself in tangles of roots and gnolls of grass, kept alive only by the persistence of those who use it, refusing to allow the rain and wind and persistence of nature to swallow it at long last.

There are others upon this road, though most are further ahead than I. An Arcanist who strides along the grass beside the beaten dirt, and yet never touches it herself; perhaps she is outside of this path, or has walked it so many times that she no longer needs it to find her direction. A Wayward son who believes the trodden dirt cannot lead him astray for as long as he can hear its call. One out of time who does not realise he walks it, much less where it might lead him.

And at its end, there is our host.

I do not know much of Vasaar. I do not much trust him. I do not believe that he peddles falsehoods to my face, though I suspect there is much he is not telling us, about his purpose for the world’s-edge gatherings and his reasons for calling us to the dead world. And yet, I find him strangely sincere. Others seem to know of him, or have history with him, for years, and yet they trust him, even amongst those whose trust is hard to earn. Can I trust their judgement, or are they merely conned into his hopes of how they imagine he is? His concern for us seems genuine enough. His attempts to relate to us, to guide us against the coiling mists of uncertainty and addling smoke that the shadows command, appeared sincere.

I recall his eyes behind the omnipresent white mask, meeting my own as he tried to determine how best to root myself to the tangible. I do not know if he sensed my faith in the Tidemother had shaken, though he appeared to suspect such a thing. He urged me, when I told him how I knew that serpents and squid lay at the briny depth, to anchor myself to a loved one, to family, or to something else. He does not show his face, though in spite of this, I sense little deception in his words; unless there are plans within plans at work. The world has always been full of charlatans, eager to find marks. I wonder how long his scheme will be; or if there is a scheme at all, or whether it is cleverly hidden in the apparent absence. Perhaps he has walked this difficult path, stumbled and fell from it, and found its ending, wherever that might be. Truth has ever been a long and lonely path. I wonder he found at its end. What I might find at its end. Perhaps we might find something different. In our most recent meeting, he deemed it wise for us to brush with the malevolence of the beyond; that which I have not felt since the Stormsong Secession years ago.

It took a mere click of his fingers, and I was far away. I drowned on land, in the place where the waters had long since drained away; my flesh and blood on the rotting wood of an abandoned village, and yet my soul and mind submerged in the icy depths of some unknown sea. The waters had ceased to be my friend, and no matter the force I kicked or how desperately I clawed for the surface, I remained alone, crushed in the briny deep. A fish swam to me, unafraid; perhaps it was awaiting until I stopped struggling. And yet, there was a glimmer of thought behind those eyes. It was not the placid eyes of beasts waiting to be caught, but some flicker of intelligence that lurked within. It offered me salvation, while I clawed at my throat for air.

I knew, in some sense, it was a lie; that these creatures seek out those who peer too far into the abyss, and lure them to dark callings. It was a story every child in Kul Tiras knows, that the secrets of the Tidesages are for them alone, who can uniquely resist the call to delve beneath the Tidemother’s domain. One that, much like the witches of my own forest home, was long assumed to be a fairy tale intended to scare children, not something far more real and far more terrifying than one could ever imagine. I could not surface, either in my vision or in my mind. The fish ceased to be, expanding into a writhing mass of nightmares. I heard Vasaar, urging me to break through the spell and find my centre once more, calling out for me to discard this vision for the lie that it was; and yet, I could not. He pleaded with me, his voice muffled to the point of silence, and yet as he dispelled his magic, I remained lost; for it was not the vision of his creation any longer.

I saw them from behind a small dais, crowned by a bleached white stone. A teeming mass of a crowd; hundreds, perhaps thousands of them, gathered underneath a lightless sky, cramming themselves into a valley lined with obsidian pillars that loomed a like giant’s fingers, floating weightlessly above the ground, each carved with the devotional scripture proclaiming the glories of Gods I did not know. The shadows that they cast, so subtle as to be almost imperceptible, were the envy of all; they jostled, competed, and fought for the chance to stand in their shade, the shadows that flickered and danced in the braziers and lanterns that illuminated this sacred ground. I gestured with an arm that was not my own; something rubbery and purple-skinned, which demanded their silence. The crowd fell silent as they saw me, their heads bowed. I did not know why; was it a gesture of reverence? Of fear? Of submission? Perhaps it was all three. My arms moved against my will, lifting the bleached stone; and yet, numb as my arms were, I felt it was bone.

A skull.
My skull.

The wind scraped the fragile bone of my skull, and I spoke; words unnatural in the beak that was my mouth. The crowd - my adoring, reverent fanatics - roared their approval, screeching in hysterical tongues and garbled devotions. Some convulsed. Some collapsed. Beneath their hoods, I saw gnashing mandibles and chitinous faces; writhing masses of tentacles where a face had once been, a mirror of those I felt flex and curl under a command I did not know that I issued. Those closest to me extended their arms, desperate for a touch from the blessed speaker; claws, suckers, tentacles, and skeletal arms alike reached for my grace, in hopes that my rubbery flesh might meet theirs for a moment. Eyes of seven, eight, nine, prayed they would meet my slitted gaze for a moment. They howled the name that makes my tongue bleed when I try to pronounce it again. One that I recognise, on some level, belonged to me, or to the creature whose eyes I watched the ceremony through. Was I a martyr, my old flesh cast aside into a more pleasing form? Ascendant, now beloved as a symbol of rewarded devotion? Perhaps I merely watched the world through the eyes of another.

Or, perhaps, I was neither. I was trapped within the fleshless bone of my face, stripped clean by the desert winds and scoured by the carrion feeders. An insect crawled into the socket in hopes of reprieve from the winds. My mind and my soul, contained within an eyeless skull, cursed to eternally watch as the night sky grew ever dimmer; until I was trapped in an endless twilight, never to see the sun or moon rise, as the stars themselves began to fade away. I was dust in the wind, trapped in the sands of time, cursed to watch the dead world. When my skull had finally been ground to dust, I would not die. I could not die. I could merely watch as the feeble eddies of wind seized my form and blew it in all directions, my sight and mind scattered across the four winds. I wondered what might await me; would I be alone for eternity, forced to watch my sight torn in every direction into the endless nothingness? Perhaps, if there was mercy in this world, I would simply cease to think.

And I was upon the dais once more; watching over the fanatical swarm. I was not behind it, as I had been, but atop it. From empty sockets, I saw what might be once more. A name suited only to be spat and cursed, abjured and loathed. I felt nothing as I was lifted into the air, and my vision was split in twain, my bones defiled. They roared and screamed again. Their hands extended and they implored my defiler for blessing, for a speck of attention. Frothing maws and chittering mandibles alike proclaimed their hatred for the countless fools who thought themselves saviours, who defied the will of the Gods who were ancient before life crawled from the sea. I was one of millions who had, in her foolishness, opposed the inevitability of their order. It was when they cast my remains to the crowd, where my bones were ground to dust, that I realised this valley was grave for those who would oppose this future. The dust of my form intermingled with the great and low alike.

Fit only to be trampled underfoot.

And yet, the world changed again. The sky was bright and clear, a shade of blue I could barely imagine. I saw the glimpse of a hand, not a tentacle or some other appendage; felt the touch of warm skin and soft flesh upon my own scoured skull. And yet, as I rose in the clutch of whomever held me, I saw the same fanatics. Men and women, now; men, elves, dwarves, and others I did not have time to count. My name was, once more, a curse; suited only to be spat and abjured, decried and loathed in displays of loyalty against whomever I had once been. They chanted and sang, as they proclaimed their hatreds; betrayer, heathen, apostate. Scarred hands, their split flesh filled with liquid gold, reached out in hopes that they, and they alone, might abuse my remains. Eyes that swam with light watched as my bones were hurled into the crowd, and watched as I was broken and shattered.

The pawn who thought she was bishop, sacrificed for the rook to make its play, her usefulness expended.

I awoke with a taste of bile and iron in my mouth. The others seemed concerned for me, and while I attempted to assuage their concerns, I know they sensed the deception. My visions lingered for the rest of the night, though I felt myself returning. I do not think they knew that I had been lying to them long after my collapse.

The howling winds across the desert, beneath the lightless sky. The dusty scream that scourged the flesh from my bones as I left for the makeshift training grounds behind. The braying crowds beseeching me for blessing, howling my name, and praying I would recognise them, when I sat in the warmth and comfort of an inn. The same crowd roared and screamed their loathing of me; the other crowd, in blinding light, abjured me, as I pretended to the Arcanist that I did not still hear it. I watched from slitted, inhuman eyes, from eyeless sockets; from the dais, from the dust, from the air as I tumbled through it, even as I saw my recent companions rise, seemingly unperturbed from their own experiences. I was dead, alive, somewhere between the two, or something else altogether.

My visions were of the past, this night. I watched from a spider’s web as an infant screamed in its crib, unable to comprehend what it saw. Priests offered their prayers. Ritual incense was burned and traditional remedies for a sick child were administered by family and strangers alike. The nurses could not prescribe an ailment to be treated, and could merely watch as the newborn was gripped with a sickness that defied explanation or treatment. I watched myself in my own crib as I was hurried away to the darkness; my mother told me, when I was young, that it was a hag’s magic that calmed me, that night. I wonder what she knew, if she shared my affliction in the sight; and knew my reprieve was temporary, as I watched myself sleep soundly for the first time. How little progress I have made in my years alive.

I think of the strength my companions have. I think of their inexperience, their innate sense of vulnerability; and yet they all prevailed, in the end. The Drake, who appears to believe himself to have no choice in his fate, doomed to fall from the path of purity, or follow the road to corruption, prevailed in his test. The Burglar, whom I have yet to speak with, rose first. The Orc, in spite of his green nature and seeming naivety, rose as well. And yet I was paralysed writhing in the dust and filth of a broken world, from a faint brush with power wielded by one who is, at least nominally, a mentor. I wonder what might happen with one who would not attempt to guide me out, nor hold back from the power such a dark force has to offer.

I ponder if he knows that my visions were not only what he intended to show me, if he even meant to show me drowning alone. They have never been so vivid before. They have never been such a complete vision of what might come to pass. They grow ever more distracting; a chorus of voices and lights showing me glimpses of every future that may come to pass, intruding further into my waking mind and slumbering reprieve. At times, they feel more real to me than the quill I hold in my hand, the book on my lap, or my companions as they speak. Flashes of what might be at every moment of indecision. Moments of their myriad, endless fates as they sprawl in front of me, and many of my own.

Am I the dreamer?
Or am I the dream?

5 Likes
To Defy

“My Aspect, you have returned.”

A voice echoed throughout time. It had brought Isilaithion to the past; prior to the Sundering, in-fact. The Obsidian Citadel shone beautifully, and dragons and drakonids alike worked tirelessly around. It had been a few thousand years since the war with the Primalists, and peace was finally, finally, here.

Neltharion the Earth-Warden stood as proud as he always did; head held high, wings tucked against his body, and tail resting gracefully against the ground. He was ever stoic, and even those who were close to him were not able to read his expressions. Talons scratched against the ground as the Earth-Warden moved throughout the Citadel, precariously as always. Inspecting; investigating; interrogating.

“My Aspect.” Choruses rang out as he approached, with dragons and drakonids alike bowing their heads to greet him. But the stern expression never left the ancient wyrm’s.

Isilaithion was not too far behind the Aspect; part of his entourage. He, too, held his head high and tucked his wings against his body. Though he did not follow the Aspect with all his duties, he continued to keep a close eye on him.

“Isilaithion.” Neltharion spoke, gesturing with a talon for the younger wyrm to come closer.

And Isilaithion obeyed as one would expect a trained animal. It was a Scalesmith’s bench, with a gold and black armour piece upon it - large enough to suit a wyrm the size of Isilaithion.

“It is yours.” The Aspect spoke.

“Thank you, my Aspect.” A talon reached for the armour, hoping to grasp at the gift that Neltharion had given him. But he failed. Another attempt. Another failure.

The scene began to shift. The Scalesmith’s bench melted into blood, and the armour, a murdered red dragon. Its chest and neck had been ripped apart - it was lucky it was a quick death. Sinew surrounded the large talons of Isilaithion. It was he who slain the dragon. He who committed the crime.

Around him, dragons of every flight fell. Blue corpses smouldered in the war, and the occasional green tried its best to aid the fallen blue. Cries and screams escaped the falling dragons - betrayed by their own. By the Earth-Warden.

A cowardly blue attempted to escape the battlefield, limping to the air as best they could. But Isilaithion’s thoughts were not his own.

Where are you going? A voice unrecognisable.

The large maw of the black wyrm’s surrounded itself around the blue’s neck, holding him and pinning him down. He was a young blue, perhaps a few hundred years old. But he was no match for Isilaithion.

“Pl… please.” The blue pleaded. But the maw tightened around his neck. Blood began to drip from behind his scales. Isilaithion had him pinned, and he would not give up his prey that easily. Haggard breathing disappeared quick, and the blue had perished.

Isilaithion stood triumphantly over the downed blue dragon, only for his gaze to be matched with Neltharion’s own. No, Deathwing. He stood tall, head held high; but magma flowed through his body. Once crimson eyes now threatened to scorn Isilaithion’s very soul - his very gaze burning scars into the black wyrm.

And soon after, Deathwing opened his maw. Black blood began to drip from every orifice, spilling onto Isilaithion’s talons and rising up to fill the scene with darkness. There was no light; only the glow of Isilaithion’s eyes. Deathwing had vanished amidst the blood he summoned.

And an ear piercing scream.

What had been a scene of darkness, turned into one of horror. The Black Empire had returned; but at its head was an amalgamation of all five Old Gods, with Deathwing’s decapitated head atop it all. Frayed wings spread behind the True God, and buildings unrecognisable began to rise and grow around the God and Isilaithion both. Spires as tall as the Seat of the Aspects grew from the ground; tendrils swarmed to build bridges to counter the abyss that was beneath the Black City. But the True God never kept his gaze off of Isilaithion.

KNEEL.

The dragon bowed his head, his forelegs coming beneath him. Wings tucked as tight as they could, as the black gaze of the Five Gods pierced into his being. The dragon could not do anything; he could only stay and remain immobilised. What could he do against the combined Old Gods, and his own father?

His limbs trembled. There were no stars above him; nothing he could find solace in. The stars had left, gone - destroyed. Even as the dragon tried as he could to resist, the Gods forced him to kneel closer to the ground. With every strain, with every second.

Eventually, his rear legs gave way. The dragon collapsed upon the ground, legs tucking beneath him - as though something was holding him down.

“How… how have I failed again?” Doubts rose in Isilaithion’s head. What could he do? What could he do? Is there anything he could do against such a beast?

The God approached; each limb moved together. And it was Deathwing’s head that spoke with the voices of all five:

Give in. There is nothing you can do. You have lost.

Are you not tired of fighting? Of surviving?

It has been so very long, no?

Had it…?

Your legacy has left. There is nothing for you now.

Come, let us put you out of this misery.

We can save you this pain.

Perhaps…

The God leaned closer to the dragon; it was only in this moment that the dragon saw that the God towered even the highest peak on Azeroth. A terrific beast. A tendril reminiscent of N’Zoth’s own slowly began to coil around the downed dragon, beginning to pull the beast down to the abyss.

No one will remember you.

Your sins have finally caught you.

Yes… they have…

Piercing Light interrupted the God’s attempt to drag Isilaithion into the depths; a ray summoning an elven form before the downed dragon. The elf only barely reached the dragon’s snout in height, but it held the God back - and halted its attempt to destroy the dragon once and for all.

A hand extended from the elf.

“Listen to my words. You are better than this. Stronger. Do not fall.”

What…?

“I will be here to support you. Always.”

The God cried an ear piercing shriek, but disappeared in the blinding light radiating from the elf.

The scene changed. Isilaithion was no longer in his Draconic form, but instead his visage. And he was not on Azeroth at all; in-fact, he was in Netherstorm. And he was surrounded by several acquaintances. Whatever happened, he had ended up lying on his stomach.

Moving to sit down upon the ruined pier instead, Isilaithion glanced upon his fist. Was that vision coined by Vasaar, or was it something that his own heart wished to show him? What would Five Gods and Deathwing even mean? They were all dead.

A fist clenched. Why did it show him his past?

4 Likes
Survive

Shattrath.

Wings beat as fast as they could; as fast as he could possibly fly in his condition.

A portal.

He cared not for the gazes as the ancient wyrm flew through Shattrath - to the portal that he cared most deeply about:

Stormwind.

It was strange to feel happiness seeing the portal room within the City. In most cases, he detested the place; the stench, the memories, the people. He was fortunate enough he shifted to his visage before he landed through the portal. The fatigue he felt was affecting his ability to shift between his two forms, and eventually it would take its toll on him. Stuck in one form, or the other.

One more… He was determined to go home. To rest at the Citadel; to bathe in the caldera close by. To recover, unharmed and unbothered. Feet trailed behind, but the dragon mustered all his strength; he must return home.

Valdrakken.

The Seat of the Aspects. The area where all who visit Valdrakken must first walk through. Mortals and immortals alike wandered through the Seat; drakonid guards stood either side, and a dragonspawn held the portal between the two cities open. Two Obsidian drakonids stood before Isilaithion as he manifested through the portal.

“Obsidian One…”

The wyrm heard the call from one of the drakonids under his employ, but it was hard to understand. Muffled. As the wyrm perked his visaged head to peer at the drakonid, he noticed his employee blurred, unstable - as though he was looking through the portal himself.

“Am I…?” Isilaithion muttered in the native tongue of the two. Narrowed eyes attempted to inspect the drakonid - to check if his servant was truly there, or perhaps a facade upon him from the Void. It did not take long; the dragon collapsed to his knees, and eventually to the ground, his weakness had finally caught up to him. The last thing that the dragon saw were several drakonids of all different employ rushing to him.

“Rest well, all of you. You did well.”

The ancient dragon had spent the week in Eredath, on the destroyed planet of Argus. A dangerous territory, beset by a war still between the Shadowguard and remnants of the Legion, joined by beings he thought he would never trust. If it were not the ongoing war that concerned him, it was the world itself. It pained him; if Azeroth stabbed needles into him, Argus plunged a sword right through his scales. Fel and void both scarred the land still, and every pulse he felt upon his back, was as though the corruption lingered upon the flesh. A constant throb and ache as he remained upon the world’s back. It had affected him and his temper; he had to lug the blade around in his back in every situation he fought. And eventually, the pain had caught up to him.

The final confrontation; the final time for this ‘heist’ the Shepherd planned all along. And he moved sluggish; caught in the stomach by an Ethereal’s blade - who swiftly met his demise after. It was not until the final Ethereal that Isilaithion had failed. Void shards impaled him front and back, and he was stunned. Blood remained inside his body, thankfully, but he felt the corruption seep into his body - into his mind.

You cannot outrun this.

Your sins will catch up to you.

Life seemed so kind to you…

And the elf remained there, paralysed by the sword in his back and the shards in his chest. Alive, but barely; suffering for what felt an eternity.

If only he were not a coward.

A little something after the conclusion of the Shadowguard Heist!

3 Likes
Between

The visions that had plagued her for all of her long life were, for once, absent.

Morgan experienced for a moment what many would take for granted. A moment where she merely perceived the dark of her closed eyes, the warmth of her makeshift bed, the steady sounds of the town outside, and the dusty aroma of the otherworldly place. She could have sobbed if she were lucid enough to understand the gravity of what she experienced; and perhaps afterwards, when she could realise she had experienced peace for a moment, she would.

After decades, it was finally quiet. She was alone, descending without thought or objection into the in-between. An eternal twilight where fates spiralled outwards. She finally stood without company, armament or armour in the darkness. There was neither the curse of sound nor vision, the enormity of which could not be understated for the woman in her all but featureless void. Morgan touched her stomach, where rending claws and gnashing fangs had torn deep into her belly, and felt no pain; even if the wound was as wide as it had been when it was first torn open. Her fingertips did not perceive her ruined flesh, nor could they.

In the darkness, there was nothing, bar one unwelcome intrusion into the darkness. The thin and narrow path that she trod on, and had for all of her life, that she lied to herself there was no alternative to, and must be followed, no matter how many times she fell. It diverged in only two places, now; unlike the usual tangled tapestry of possibility and chance, of all the days that were yet to come. She could see the branching paths that may have once spiralled out into innumerable potential years before her, falling away like cobwebs; the alternatives to her fate snapped like ropes pulled too taut for too long. She could sense the touch of another on these winding roads; the Dark Sage who had chosen to sit at her bedside and offer what assistance she could had spent at least some of her time attempting to see what Morgan saw. She could sense the others, though she could not see them. Those whose fates were entwined with her own, now, whether in single threads or coiled tightly around the silk of her soul.

What the Sage saw could wait for another time, though Morgan did not care what the other woman made of it. She was but a facsimile of a person. Each of them was. She saw that, now, there was neither truth nor understanding behind those eyes. Malicious or not, each was merely pretending, a guise which had maintained for so long that they had all ceased to know it was an act.

Down one path, the closest to her right hand, the spidery web of possibilities trailed off into the darkness, down to the edges of experience. A place where she could not return from; where her breath ceased and there was merely darkness before her.

The cutting of her thread. The end of her path. The fate of all things.

The myriad possibilities that Morgan faced, though all of them were the same, in truth. Her body, torn apart by the beasts of the Shadowguard Menagerie, simply gave out from trampling hooves and tearing claws. The talents of those who had tried, whether for selfish reasons or selfless, to help her, had proved insufficient.

She wanted to go. It would have been easy. Fate was neither unkind nor uncaring. The way before her, it did not know she existed any more than a web knows the spider that made it. A few steps down the darkened path, to continue until she ceased to walk, and merely faded into the void of non-existence. Reprieve, at long last; from the suffering of flesh and blood, finally giving out after suffering for so long. From the torment of every tomorrow. Away from whatever destiny awaited her. Perhaps when she started, she would never stop. It would be like falling asleep.

She was tempted. She truly was. More than once, she felt her foot lift in place as if to take the first step, and then plant itself down again. She would turn her head, once or twice, and see a creeping fog closing in around the left-hand path. The uncertainties of life; if she chose to return, she could not know what she returned to.

She chose neither, at least in that moment. She sat at the crossroads with the mists to her back, and did not move. She remained upon the straight and narrow path; unmoving, bar for the decision to allow her fingertips to trail over her injuries. There was no pain. There was no blood. There was no real thought behind what she did. She merely was, in this moment, and longed for it to continue past the edges of infinity. She considered crawling forward, down into the darkness, and surrendering; just as much as she considered rising and walking into the fog, to whatever future might await her.

For the first time, she pondered if there was a choice to simply do nothing. Not to stay on the road to the end she had paved for herself all of her life, or to leave it and never see the edge of her prescient sight, nor to succumb to the desire to give in. A choice not to heed vision or calling or destiny, whatever the hallucinations that plagued her were. Perhaps it was enough to simply exist in this lukewarm void of quiet solitude, and not simply pick the road less travelled, but not pick a road at all.

No choice, she concluded, after what may have been hours or seconds. The coil of spider’s silk that led into the fog was already beginning to fray. A reminder that, in this place of linear perception, her mortal body of meat and blood was beginning to die.

One foot followed the other as she walked into the fog, swallowing her whole the moment she stepped within.

There was no sound in this place, either. It was an oppressive quiet, as if the universe had ceased to exist beyond the misty air. It was neither light nor dark, a place of impossible twilight, for a sunless sky to have. Her feet trailed slowly, fearful that she may step into the abyss where the silken strand ended, and tumble forever into a place she could not return. She walked for what felt like hours, though may have been mere minutes. She became aware, as she continued, that her steps grew ever more taxing; each step forward requiring more effort than the last. Sensation began to slowly return to her; a bracing chill in her legs, up to her waist, to her stomach. Force as something pulled her in and pushed her back. Something cold flecked against her face and chest. Pain began to sting and burn the place where fang and claw had torn her open, until it was an agony to endure once again, fresh as the moments her body had broken beneath fang, claw, and hoof. Dim light. A moonless sky without stars to grant it company. A single source of light, like some cyclopean eye, endlessly scanning the horizon.

Morgan waded through the shallows, to collapse onto a stony shore where the waves abandoned her, discarding like a piece of flotsam in the waters. Her mouth opened, and she heaved seawater from her lungs, clawing for the kelp that clung to her face, flicking it back into the sea. She found her hands and feet, and vomited more salt water onto the stones, throat screaming from the salt and bile. She felt something move in her belly, as if the act had threatened for something to fall out. Her eyes wide and bloodshot, she clutched the wound that screamed in agony, before collapsing onto her back. A dreamless sleep reached to claim her in its cradle, before that reprieve was stolen again.

Her dreams were once more a flood of sound and vision, each as real as if she had been there in the flesh. More real to her than the day preceding her. When she awoke, the moon was high in the starless sky, and she recognised where she was.

It was a lonely place. A weather-beaten rock far from the coast of Drustvar; the island could barely be seen over the horizon, and one of the furthest points that Kul Tiras could claim for their own. It was crowned by a single lighthouse; the Last Light had been a place attempted to settle for years, though eventually, losing purpose and point. There were more gulls that lived here than people, and as such, it housed a single occupant at a time. The occupant had, for many years, been a Tidesage in a state of deep monastic reclusion, content to live off whatever fare could be carried in a single oared boat, and live with only the mists and birds for company.

For one hundred years, it had been the sole place Morgan could claim as her home.

In the silvery light, she dragged herself upwards to sit. Her stomach and chest burned with stinging salt, and the rest of her body ached with a dull agony. The expedition to Eredath carried its painful reminders on her skin and bone. Her thoughts turned to her unhealed injuries, which had been so grievous as to lead her to the brink of death.

Yet, when her fingers probed them, they felt new flesh, not the raw meat that had been torn into them.
Flesh as purple as a fresh bruise, and as rubbery as meat from the abyss.

:squid:

5 Likes

Wait a minute, you guys are a cult?!

Ahem, thank you very much for having us along for the Shadowguard Heist in Eredath and hopefully we’ll see each other again in the upcoming expansion. Top notch guild :purple_heart::pray:

7 Likes

“I pluck once more at the threads of fate; spinning them into a web of lies and deceit.”

Those who were deemed worthy were invited to commune with the dark Entity that had haunted their dreams and visions.

It was at the Edge of Oblivion, beneath the Dragon Isles, that they heard the only offer it had for them.

The price for salvation; a world for a handful of lives, their world for their lives and those they loved.

Not all have committed to this bargain as they yet reel from an encounter no mortal should survive. Some show defiance, others seek comforts elsewhere, but there is only one true solution. In time, they may come to accept this.

The Starfallen have been born in earnest.

7 Likes
In Valdrakken, a lone journal rests against a table. A draconic brooch coloured gold with obsidian gems decorating it rests atop it. Inside, a new excerpt has been added.

It has been close to a month.

For better or for worse, there has been no news to come out of Aberrus - all quiet on that front.The beast that was summoned has not breached containment, and I can only presume it is thanks to Sarvaad; the one who summoned it there in the first place. Regardless, I placed a few drakonid guards there - as extra support if the need should arrive. I do not want the beast escaping that laboratory of death.

Throughout the month, I challenged myself on what the truth of the world is. Will Azeroth inevitably fall - a dying planet whose fate had already been set in motion? Or will there be a chance to fight back against the beast? Those Starfallen have split into two; the former and the latter, and I have aligned myself with the rebellious group. But once more I find myself indecisive about where I stand; the world is dying. Is it truly worth dying to save Azeroth? Could I not take a few eggs of my flight and others, and escape with Sarvaad to the edge of the universe? A, presumably, safe haven.

The Radiant Echoes and the Song - they spell doom. If Azerite is the world’s blood, then the Echoes must be its memories - this is true. And the Song is a cry for help; or a taunt from something sinister beneath the surface. Whatever that something is, I could not say. But since the dark Titan thrust his sword into Azeroth, she has been dying. Perhaps even longer, if my father and his Old God masters were to be believed.

I have run for so long; longer than some of those who I frequent myself with. I am a coward - and I would be foolish to assume that a heroic bone in my body has manifested in the few years the Isles have opened. Perhaps prior to the Sundering I was a terrific warrior; a leader. One who could make the earth tremble simply by raising a single talon; who trained under Neltharion himself. But now, I struggle to battle wits with that of even the youngest drake. My scales have softened to that of flesh. I cannot fight against a void entity of that power - even face to face with such a beast I struggled to move. I spend too much time in my visage, and it has affected everything about me. The plan to use Vysea to attack the Entity had fallen through - we need extra support, and not simply rely upon her. But I struggle to find my strength, and refuse to adhere to the whispers that taunt me every waking hour.

I do not wish to grow idle and complacent any longer. I wish to fight, to save my world and my family - to protect the Isles for the flights. But it is not possible, is it? If I fight the Entity, I die - even if I get stronger, even if I train. Even if I adhere to that legacy that calls for me. It is inevitable, and fate has deemed the world’s death. This is what Sarvaad has said, and this is what the world has shown us.

I have lost my bite; I lost it so many years ago. There is only one outcome in which I survive; to run, as I have for many years.

I do not wish to die for a planet that is dying.

In other news, a lot of interesting lore has come out with TWW… I wonder how the Starfallen will take it.

3 Likes